Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Someone with genuine affection for the well being of Aston Villa and a connection to the club

Someone not just for the short term ambition of promotion next season but able to stay long term to build a dynasty

Someone who may very well see Villa as a step up from current role and be willing to come

Someone British (not my sole requirement but a stated aim of a board member)

I disagree with these points.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Rich if Moyes isnt interested who is your preferred Manager to come in?

To be honest I dont even want Moyes! my preference is half way up the last page!

Edited by Richard

Have to say I'm coming round to the idea of McCarthy. Wouldn't be one of my first choices but given that we're not in a very good position and the board seem insistent on having a British manager with Championship experience he'd be a decent option for that level.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

We can be resigned to the notion that Pearson or Carver will be the only ones who would take the job

corrected just for you

Can we? Just because you are resigned to that notion/"fact" doesn't mean everybody else is.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont disagree with you at this moment if had pick manager it be Rowett or Warburton who have done well in Championship on small budgets and are progressive but knowing this club we will end up with Dougie Freedman, Neil Lennon or Ronny Deila

Warburton?  What has he done to get him all these accolades and reputation?  It would be a punt in the dark to appoint him.  Would rather we go with someone who actually has got a team promoted from the Championship, not one who got beat 5-1 in the playoffs the only time they were in it.

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Warburton?  What has he done to get him all these accolades and reputation?  It would be a punt in the dark to appoint him.  Would rather we go with someone who actually has got a team promoted from the Championship, not one who got beat 5-1 in the playoffs the only time they were in it.

Warburton did well with Brentford but would be such a ridiculous punt of an option.  I can't believe he's being mentioned tbh.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Rowett would be good. I'd like us to hire him. I believe there are some blues fans that want him out. Which is crazy, but I guess all football teams have idiots for fans.

No need to guess PieFacE. Blues have more idiots for fans ratio than any other football club in the entire universe! 

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

248 goals scored in 121 games managed a 61% win ratio and the fact that Brentford came from nowhere to reach the playoffs. Promotion from League 1 and then staright in to the playoffs with Brentfords budget was a great achievement. It didn't help Brentford when they announced his departure halfway through the season either as they may have got autommatic promotion.

His teams are exciting and very attack minded which would be great as Villa are probably the most boring team on the planet to watch and have been for the majority of the last 4-5 years

1 minute ago, KHV said:

248 goals scored in 121 games managed a 61% win ratio and the fact that Brentford came from nowhere to reach the playoffs. Promotion from League 1 and then staright in to the playoffs with Brentfords budget was a great achievement. It didn't help Brentford when they announced his departure halfway through the season either as they may have got autommatic promotion.

His teams are exciting and very attack minded which would be great as Villa are probably the most boring team on the planet to watch and have been for the majority of the last 4-5 years

Hardly a **** challenge with Rangers though, is it?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Then they fail spectacularly to understand the fan base.  It was the man not the club.  I also think given it is a new board that that will not be a consideration. Having Brian Little involved will also make it less of a consideration. 

The only thing Rowett has going for him is he is a Villa fan. Still totally unproven and is used to small clubs. We need a manager who is used to pressure and has a proven track record. I also want a manager that can do both get us and keep us there we need stability and forward planning. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Hardly a **** challenge with Rangers though, is it?

The same Rangers that failed last season? He also has them in the cup semi against Celtic too. And the manner in which Rangers have played has to be taken iinto account, it's not a great Rangers team but 116 goals in 43 games is pretty impressive even though the league is not that great.

"Yeah but it's Rangers"

"Yeah but he's doing well"

Fact is they're both true.   Warburton is doing well.  Very well.  He has them pissing the league but they are buying from the top league.  They (and most in that league) know they're only passing through.  But he is doing it with a swagger.  It's basically impossible to accurately assess just how well he's doing, given the enormous nature of that particular fish in that particular pond.

But with that being said, he is IIRC 2nd or 3rd on my wishlist.  Why he'd come here over a potential title challenge next season though I don't know.  Plus sampling genuine Old Firm derbies as a peer rather than in a cup environment.

8 minutes ago, KHV said:

The same Rangers that failed last season? He also has them in the cup semi against Celtic too. And the manner in which Rangers have played has to be taken iinto account, it's not a great Rangers team but 116 goals in 43 games is pretty impressive even though the league is not that great.

It's really not.  That Rangers team has vast amounts of ability compared to the other teams in that league.

Even Martyn Waghorn looks like a world beater up there.

Edit:  Rangers will finish top 3 in the Scottish Premiership next season, without doubt.  Likely top 2.  And that would be with their current squad.

Edited by bobzy

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

"Yeah but it's Rangers"

"Yeah but he's doing well"

Fact is they're both true.   Warburton is doing well.  Very well.  He has them pissing the league but they are buying from the top league.  They (and most in that league) know they're only passing through.  But he is doing it with a swagger.  It's basically impossible to accurately assess just how well he's doing, given the enormous nature of that particular fish in that particular pond.

But with that being said, he is IIRC 2nd or 3rd on my wishlist.  Why he'd come here over a potential title challenge next season though I don't know.  Plus sampling genuine Old Firm derbies as a peer rather than in a cup environment.

He had Brentford playing with a swagger when they went up from league 1, and they were very good to watch in the championship too. I know Rangers isn't as challenging but even still I think Warburton has something about him and he could actually be pretty exciting.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Have to say I'm coming round to the idea of McCarthy. Wouldn't be one of my first choices but given that we're not in a very good position and the board seem insistent on having a British manager with Championship experience he'd be a decent option for that level.

Can we? Just because you are resigned to that notion/"fact" doesn't mean everybody else is.

No, just no, McCarthy is a terrible choice. He has absolutely no upside. We want someone who will do well for us in the Premiership (or at least have the potential to) when we get promoted, this isn't the time for short-termism.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No, just no, McCarthy is a terrible choice.

Don't get me wrong he's not very high up on my list but I'd have him over the likes of Pearson, Bruce, McClaren.

• Like 2

McCarthy would be alright I think, he would certainly have us at the top end of the table.

My issue with hiring that type of manager is that once you get promoted, you can probably give them another season to make you stable in the Premier League and then the board need to be quite cut-throat and hire a better manager to add the "flair" to the stability. Like Southampton and West Ham did. I don't really see Villa being that way inclined whilst Randy is the owner.