bringbackbigron

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm struggling to understand what you want.

The fans wanted a "football man" and/or a "club legend" on the board.

Now we've got one.

Is that not a good thing?

You said it's meant to appease fans. Is it not a good thing that the club are doing things that fans want?

I really don't understand why you're seemingly angry about this.

"WE WANT THIS!"

"Ok, here you go"

"OH YOU'RE ONLY DOING THAT BECAUSE I ASKED FOR IT!"

What exactly would you have preferred the club to do in this scenario? Not appointed Little to the board? Appointed a different ex player?

Spot on.

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I'd prefer 11 players working hard tbh. Literally don't see the point of this. Especially the timing. 

That is likely to be next.

they need to be making changes now....ready for next season.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I'd prefer 11 players working hard tbh. Literally don't see the point of this. Especially the timing. 

You don't see how having a board that knows what they're doing could possibly lead to 11 players working hard on the pitch?
Even if you REALLY try?

You can't see that connection?

• Like 4

I've been one of the supporters calling for a so-called "football man" on the board. What I meant by it wasn't someone like Brian Little but it is fulfilled by David Bernstein. Sir Brian is a lovely bonus and there's huge value in having a Villa man in there too.

It's not enough for me but these are appointments that get my thumbs-up.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You don't see how having a board that knows what they're doing could possibly lead to 11 players working hard on the pitch?
Even if you REALLY try?

You can't see that connection?

First of all, it shouldn't make a difference. They should play for themselves if nobody else.

Second of all, where the hell is the proof that Brian little knows what he's doing?

And when he starts to fail, are we once again going to point the finger at randy Lerner?

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm struggling to understand what you want.

The fans wanted a "football man" and/or a "club legend" on the board.

Now we've got one.

Is that not a good thing?

You said it's meant to appease fans. Is it not a good thing that the club are doing things that fans want?

I really don't understand why you're seemingly angry about this.

"WE WANT THIS!"

"Ok, here you go"

"OH YOU'RE ONLY DOING THAT BECAUSE I ASKED FOR IT!"

What exactly would you have preferred the club to do in this scenario? Not appointed Little to the board? Appointed a different ex player?

What I want is for the club to be run better. I don't give a shit who they are or where rhey come from as long as they help the club improve. If this leads to improvement then i will credit it, but nothing that we've done over the last 5 years has helped. So if players and managers can't have an impact i'm struggling to see how an advisor can. And he is an advisor, he's not on the board. 

I'm not angry about it, it's a nothing appointment IMO. I'm more annoyed that it's stopped the protest and had the desired PR effect on some fans than the actual appointment. 

There is only one thing wrong with the appointments of Steve Hollis, Mervyn King, David Bernstein and Brian Little and thats the timing.

Lerner should have got this sorted at the end of last season and maybe then we would not have been in the mess we are now.

Its a positive for next season though as we now have people who know what the game and the club is about as this gives us a much better starting position for the haul back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

First of all, it shouldn't make a difference. They should play for themselves if nobody else.

Second of all, where the hell is the proof that Brian little knows what he's doing?

And when he starts to fail, are we once again going to point the finger at randy Lerner?

Ah yes, your utopian world where every single player in the world plays with 100% commitment for 90 minutes every single week.

Back in reality, there are loads of players out there who don't play like that. People running the club who know what they are doing are more likely to provide us with a manager/squad who will be committed every week. This is the point I was making. We can't just snap our fingers and have a squad full of brilliant, committed players. We need to have people running the club who can tell their arse from their elbow to get us a good squad.

I have no idea if Little knows what he's doing. That wasn't really the point. The point was it is a good thing that the club are attempting to appoint a board to run the club better. Time will tell whether they've achieved that.

Your post of "I wudz l1ke better playerz plz" was an incredibly short sighted one. We all want that. It's how we get there that's the problem because up until now the club has shown that it doesn't have a clue how to do that. Appointing new people to the board is a way of addressing that.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What I want is for the club to be run better. I don't give a shit who they are or where rhey come from as long as they help the club improve. If this leads to improvement then i will credit it, but nothing that we've done over the last 5 years has helped. So if players and managers can't have an impact i'm struggling to see how an advisor can. And he is an advisor, he's not on the board. 

I'm not angry about it, it's a nothing appointment IMO. I'm more annoyed that it's stopped the protest and had the desired PR effect on some fans than the actual appointment. 

What a pointless opinion, although I agree with the anger that it's stopped the protest.

Edited by Stevo985

i was waiting for the ship to turn.

Brian for me is a pointer that tells me we could, could be trying to turn it around and just one cog in the mechanism that starts to get people in places who care.

One man is not going to cure all our ills, we must understand that, but Brian will not take kindly to people slagging off the club, who work there.He will be instrumental in creating the positivity the club desperately wants.

There are too many factors that point to the very best of managers, will not come to us, so we might as well forget it. The best we can hope for, is getting back villa people, or people that genuinely have feeling for the club and can go back to basics to rebuild it.

We will not rebuild this debacle on money alone.....but that is not to say, sensible money is needed, but old fashioned values will.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"I want the club to be run better"

*Club appoints people to try and run the club better*

"What's the point, it won't make a difference"

You may have been asleep the last 5 years.

If you think an advisor to the board is going to have an impact on this club then you've been watching something different to me. 

I want the club to be run better. When that happens I'll credit the decisions that made it better. Until that happens I'll use the evidence I've seen to base my opinion of it. And what I've seen of this club suggests this will be a nothing appointment. 

The club appointed Faulkner to try and make it better. They appointed Sherwood, Lambert and Mcleish to try and make it better. Guess we should have loved all those as well. 

Edited by DCJonah

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah yes, your utopian world where every single player in the world plays with 100% commitment for 90 minutes every single week.

Back in reality, there are loads of players out there who don't play like that. People running the club who know what they are doing are more likely to provide us with a manager/squad who will be committed every week. This is the point I was making. We can't just snap our fingers and have a squad full of brilliant, committed players. We need to have people running the club who can tell their arse from their elbow to get us a good squad.

I have no idea if Little knows what he's doing. That wasn't really the point. The point was it is a good thing that the club are attempting to appoint a board to run the club better. Time will tell whether they've achieved that.

Your post of "I wudz l1ke better playerz plz" was an incredibly short sighted one. We all want that. It's how we get there that's the problem because up until now the club has shown that it doesn't have a clue how to do that. Appointing new people to the board is a way of addressing that.

I never said anything about having better players so I'm not sure why you've even suggested that.

As for this utopian world....

Well firstly it's ridiculous to suggest it's far fetched to suggest that every play gives 100% for 90 minutes a week.

I'd be mortified if I couldn't manage 90 minutes a week giving my best. 

Your point which I understand is one that highlights people sometimes slack off for various reasons. This is true. It is true of me over a 40-60 hr week. The point is that at there are times where you can take it easy so to say and others where you have to give it all. The timescale where I am required to give my all is a lot longer than 90 minutes and I never fail to.

Just now, Woodytom said:

I never said anything about having better players so I'm not sure why you've even suggested that.

As for this utopian world....

Well firstly it's ridiculous to suggest it's far fetched to suggest that every play gives 100% for 90 minutes a week.

I'd be mortified if I couldn't manage 90 minutes a week giving my best. 

Your point which I understand is one that highlights people sometimes slack off for various reasons. This is true. It is true of me over a 40-60 hr week. The point is that at there are times where you can take it easy so to say and others where you have to give it all. The timescale where I am required to give my all is a lot longer than 90 minutes and I never fail to.

Your point, if there is one, is getting more and more confusing.

You want players to give their all for 90 minutes every week.

Our players don't.

Again, do you not see how appointing people to run the club better could lead to us getting the kind of players who WILL give their all for 90 minutes every week?

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You may have been asleep the last 5 years.

If you think an advisor to the board is going to have an impact on this club then you've been watching something different to me. 

I want the club to be run better. When that happens I'll credit the decisions that made it better. Until that happens I'll use the evidence I've seen to base my opinion of it. And what I've seen of this club suggests this will be a nothing appointment. 

The club appointed Faulkner to try and make it better. They appointed Sherwood, Lambert and Mcleish to try and make it better. Guess we should have loved all those as well. 

If Brian little thought his appointment would be pointless, he wouldn't have accepted it.

You have to know the man.

The people you have mentioned, never had any feeling or association with the club and quite frankly never emulated the effect Brian had as player or manager.

those comparisons are insulting to a legend.

• Like 3

Â