bringbackbigron

I don't think anyone believes that the board and board advisor appointments this week are a sure fire certain path to top 4 finishes.   I don't think any would even claim they indicate we will stay up this year.  But I can't see any way it's not a positive thing.

Maybe even (although I don't think this is it) at the least, the club has finally figured out a good PR move after the terrible outcomes from Hollis' first statements, at least they are doing something better.  Again, none of this changes the past, none of this changes the players, none of this changes the books, none of this guarantees a bright future.... But for $@&/ sake, it's a small positive.   Hating it for all the things it's not, seems... Well, I think I'll stop there.

• Like 1

There are people on here showing an appalling lack of respect for Brian Little. Not only one of our best ever players, but our last manager to win a sodding trophy. I say hang anyone who questions him.

Edited by MrDuck
typo
  • Like 1

I smile when I see this thread title. Little is the first Villa manager I really remember in any significant way, so it's like my personal Villa roots have come back to say hello. 

TBH, I'd be over the moon if he was offered the manager's job.

41 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

There are people on here showing an appalling lack of respect for Brian Little. Not only one of our best ever players, but our last manager to win a sodding trophy. I say hang anyone who questions him.

The reason why clubs make PR moves summed up in one post. 

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

TBH, I'd be over the moon if he was offered the manager's job.

Because of his legendary status as a player and his relative success as our manager? That was a long time ago and his most recent managerial post is Jersey. I'd be extremely worried if he was even considered as our next manager.

Happy to have a Villa man hanging around the board though.

Edited by Ginko

8 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Because of his legendary status as a player and his relative success as our manager? That was a long time ago and his most recent managerial post is Jersey. I'd be extremely worried if he was even considered as our next manager.

Happy to have a Villa man hanging around the board though.

Steve Bruce or Brian Little? I choose Little, thank you very much. Capable manager with his head and heart in the right place. 

Sorry, didn't realise it was a choice between those two :rolleyes:

What proof have you that he's capable of managing a club with as many serious troubles as we have in the modern game? Not that I'm advocating him as a serious contender for the post, but Bruce has far more experience and more success as a manager.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Don't think it was meant literally!

Brian Little is man of integrity and blessed with a lifetime of football knowledge. Having him advising the board on football matters can only be a positive thing. He won't hang around if he is not listened to.

Time will tell whether it's a PR stunt...but the recent appointments at board level, and the imminent departure of fox, amstrad & riley have at least given me hope that the monumental mistakes of the last few years may well be put right.

It can only be a positive move 

• Like 3

On 3/12/2016 at 13:31, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm more than happy to see him on the board but at the same time you have to question how effective he can be (and any one for that matter) under Lerner's very tight parameters. 

I think the tight parameters are even more reason to have Brian on board, not less reason.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Look, you have every right to be cynical......and hey you could be right, eventually.

but don't just sit back and create a " duck shoot" on every decision the club makes.

Tell us what you would like to see in tangible terms, I'm Interested.

Brian Little is not coming in as manager, for starters.

but, What he has done since he left us is well, immaterial really.

Some managers have their moments and their clubs.....Ron Saunders did nothing after he left us and neither did Ron Atkinson or John Gregory....In Fact not many of our managers went on to do much with the exception of Graham Taylor going to England....so I don't know how much relevance all that has.

Despite their respective struggles Jose Mourinho and LVG are depicted as amongst the best managers in world football.....so much for examples.

as the saying goes "its not what you know more about what you do"......Villa people are likely to go the extra mile and persevere.....non-villa people can give up very early at the first sign of adversity.

The club needs to get its "soul" back .....and that might be before we see a change in fortunes.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look, you have every right to be cynical......and hey you could be right, eventually.

but don't just sit back and create a " duck shoot" on every decision the club makes.

Tell us what you would like to see in tangible terms, I'm Interested.

There's nothing this club can do until either the owner is gone or the owner changes his mind. 

Nothing we do is going to make a major change to this club. We might get promoted back up but we'll be in the fight for survival again, or we might stay in the championship for a few years. But while Lerner remains we will not do anything different. 

I'm not going to start dancing because we've added a new board member and an advisor.

Just now, DCJonah said:

There's nothing this club can do until either the owner is gone or the owner changes his mind. 

Nothing we do is going to make a major change to this club. We might get promoted back up but we'll be in the fight for survival again, or we might stay in the championship for a few years. But while Lerner remains we will not do anything different. 

I'm not going to start dancing because we've added a new board member and an advisor.

Fine

This where I think we are :

• Lerner is going nowhere, we might as we get used to that.....He is the common denominator.
  • He is not a motivated seller, that means he wants top dollar for his asset.....no one wants to pay what he wants....at the moment.....so status quo.
  • He has made a catalogue of mistakes, which I think he regrets.I have no reason to believe he is happy with the situation.
  • I think he does have an Interest in Villa ,but has had that Interest diluted by the mistakes being made that he has presided over....self inflicted you might say, but does not help him get his money back.
  • He can change his behaviour and I think he is trying to do that , By Appointing Hollis
  • There is no information anywhere that tells us that another owner can do better, can do different yes, that is not the same as better, we could actually do worse, yes a possiblity many will baulk at, but we could do worse.
  • For all Lerners faults he has financial wherewithal a new owner at the first sign of his mistakes might not be in a position or benevolent like Lerner to negate them.

In the short term, I do not see a great influx of money for transfers......I think our record with his money has been appalling. I think he has lost faith in the clubs ability to buy prudently. I do not think that scenario is fixed in tablets of stone......If he see's an ability from the clubs staff to buy players that can enhance our status, I believe good money will be restored to the agenda.

What comes first the chicken or the egg, I hear you say......But we have had the money and squandered it......We now need to do a Leicester or more appropriately (in my book) an Aston Villa of the early 80's......We need to win back his faith to purchase players.

I know you will possibly see my comments as a paradox, but

He has made monumental errors, granted.....but that does not negate the money he has spent, whether he has caused it or not, his bank manager is not concerned WHO has made them, his concern is that they are not to be continued.....hence austerity, until we can prove otherwise.

Hopefully the new manager can restore some faith in purchasing that will encourage the owner.

Randy Lerner is by a long chaulk not blameless.....but it has to be put in perspective.

He is here, we have to find a way to work with him.

• Like 1

Tro you put your points across well and fair play for still having the belief. But it's the sort of thing we've been saying for years and years and we've just got worse and worse. Why will it be different now?

What club has been successful with an owner who didn't want the club or want anything to do with the club?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Tro you put your points across well and fair play for still having the belief. But it's the sort of thing we've been saying for years and years and we've just got worse and worse. Why will it be different now?

What club has been successful with an owner who didn't want the club or want anything to do with the club?

Aston Villa in 80-81 & 81-82

Ron Bendall didn't want the club and had little Interest was never there....It didn't stop some great staff achieving what they did despite him.

and Hey.....I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm trying to put over another view that may give us all a bit more hope, but could also be feasible.

Look, I protested against Doug Ellis in my younger days with " Villa Fans Combined" with meetings and marches to the ground.....Protests can be good for both parties it shows passion.

I think OTDO74 has been good.

Now, I still see HDE at 92 going to the games.....he doesn't have to go.

• Do I regret my protests against him....No for the reasons above
  • Do I hate him ....No
  • Do I see him in a different light....yes
  • Do I think He always had Villa at Heart....yes
  • Do I think he had self interest and self survival....yes.

Some times we all have redeeming features and some times not......We can all be generally ok, but still have some unpopular traits.

I would think running a football club may have its champagne and roses times ......but is also a bloody hard job in times like this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I haven't got the belief.....I am searching for it.....because I do not want to enter a fight I can't win.

• I love Aston Villa
  • I think RL has royally cocked up
  • I want to now try and get the best out of him....until he sells of course.

I Just have a massive worry the next owner will be worse.....yes can't imagine it, can you?

• Like 1

Camera at spurs game just focused on King, Bernstein and Little all sat next to each other watching the match - compare this to the start of the season with Fox, Reilly and Almstadt sat in a row overseeing our destiny. Biggest obvious difference is the colour of their hair - grey - but made me feel reassured to see such a wealth of experience sat there - the three of them thinking about how to revive AVFC, three of them who instinctively know what sort of club AVFC is and where it should be. I maintain, this is not PR, it is good news.

• Like 3

Â