The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Thing I like about the Brexit notes is the bit about the strategy being to have your cake and eat it.  The phrase means something which is logically impossible to accomplish.  It's like they want to say they are attempting something, but they are at the same time at some level admitting it's a load of nonsense, without wanting to say so expicitly.  A psychiatrist would have fun with that one.

Interesting story on Politico.eu stating that Merkel is blocking the mutual recognition of each other's citizens right to remain resident post-Brexit, preferring instead to keep them on the table as a bargaining chip in negotiations.

That is despite (reportedly) most other EU nations including the UK wanting to clear up the issue immediately to give certainty to the people who could be affected.

I wonder if those at Al Beeb, the Guardian et al will now stop blaming May for this issue and wake up to the fact that Berlin isn't looking for a friendly relationship with London?  

Sorry, rhetorical question. 

40 minutes ago, Awol said:

Interesting story on Politico.eu stating that Merkel is blocking the mutual recognition of each other's citizens right to remain resident post-Brexit, preferring instead to keep them on the table as a bargaining chip in negotiations.

That is despite (reportedly) most other EU nations including the UK wanting to clear up the issue immediately to give certainty to the people who could be affected.

I wonder if those at Al Beeb, the Guardian et al will now stop blaming May for this issue and wake up to the fact that Berlin isn't looking for a friendly relationship with London?  

1. UK inc. is only interested in business relationships.

2. Negotiations 10X: Concede nothing without receiving something in return. Or do we expect the EU to make the initial good faith gesture to help the UK deal with the decision of it's people, and to help it's internal decision making process? 

19 minutes ago, villakram said:

1. UK inc. is only interested in business relationships.

2. Negotiations 10X: Concede nothing without receiving something in return. Or do we expect the EU to make the initial good faith gesture to help the UK deal with the decision of it's people, and to help it's internal decision making process? 

1. Not quite true. I think there is genuine and well founded expectations on both sides of the channel that on security and diplomatic efforts the UK and the EU will remain joined at the hip. That is far less likely to happen if the Germans start being silly - and upset their EU partners in the process by blowing sway the fallacy of equality amongst the 27.

London is (or was) the 5th largest French city by population, it's obvious that mutual recognition will happen. 

2. What was being proposed was mutual recognition of the right to remain for 1.2 million Brits on the continent and 3.2 odd million EU nationals in UK. 

Seems to me that's the definition    of getting something in return for both parties? Pretty sure there's more than a few posts on this thread attacking May's inhumanity for not doing this simple thing, will those same posters now be condemning Merkel for mental cruelty? Let's see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

1. Not quite true. I think there is genuine and well founded expectations on both sides of the channel that on security and diplomatic efforts the UK and the EU will remain joined at the hip. That is far less likely to happen if the Germans start being silly - and upset their EU partners in the process by blowing sway the fallacy of equality amongst the 27.

London is (or was) the 5th largest French city by population, it's obvious that mutual recognition will happen. 

2. What was being proposed was mutual recognition of the right to remain for 1.2 million Brits on the continent and 3.2 odd million EU nationals in UK. 

Seems to me that's the definition    of getting something in return for both parties? Pretty sure there's more than a few posts on this thread attacking May's inhumanity for not doing this simple thing, will those same posters now be condemning Merkel for mental cruelty? Let's see.

Equality amongst the 27? You lot have quite specifically voted that you want out because of XYZ. Why should you be treated on the same level as Ireland/Poland/Italy etc., who are currently members of this club? The UK made a decision and it is up to the political representatives of the UK to solve this riddle. Step 1: Trigger article 50.... go on, I double dare you :D 

There is nothing stopping the UK from unilaterally deciding to grandfather-in/guarantee the status of all current legal UK residents. The E.U. is simply holding to its negotiating position, which is all contained in the treaty the UK signed onto, of trigger article 50 if you lot want to talk serious. 

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Proposed by whom?

Edit: I see the website in question suggests that May apparently put this forward as some pre-negotiation request for assurance. Doesn't this run contrary to the things that May has told the UK and the world previously? Even if she has had a change of mind and gone for this, I'm not sure that the 'bargaining chip in negotiations' line that you attribute to Merkel is correct even from that article - the line is that Merkel is saying no negotiations of any sort until the UK invokes Article 50.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, villakram said:

Equality amongst the 27? You lot have quite specifically voted that you want out because of XYZ. Why should you be treated on the same level as Ireland/Poland/Italy etc., who are currently members of this club? The UK made a decision and it is up to the political representatives of the UK to solve this riddle. Step 1: Trigger article 50.... go on, I double dare you :D 

There is nothing stopping the UK from unilaterally deciding to grandfather-in/guarantee the status of all current legal UK residents. The E.U. is simply holding to its negotiating position, which is all contained in the treaty the UK signed onto, of trigger article 50 if you lot want to talk serious. 

I don't understand your first paragraph, sorry if I'm being dense but could you try rephrasing it? BTW we are currently fully paid up members of the EU. 

On your second point obviously we won't guarantee right of residence to EU citizens in UK without a reciprocal arrangement. We've offered to do so up front to give people millions of people certainty and the Germans are playing political games with it. 

It's that attitude which some have incorrectly ascribed to May along with words like 'disgraceful'. I'm interested to see whether those same epitaphs will now be thrown at Frau Merkel.

Obviously we will trigger A50, once the Supreme Court has sorted out the legal arrangements around the process of doing that. 

11 hours ago, villakram said:

AWOL wasn't talking about us (although he is quite right we are currently fully paid up members so are equal irrespective of voting leave) he was talking about Germany in relation to the rest of the EU.

The German's are in charge (although it so often looks that way) and it isn't for them/Merkel to call the shots on negotiations alone. As AWOL pointed out other nations have different views to Germany on this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Awol said:

The right to remain thing was first raised by Liam Fox, disgraced former defence secretary, now some sort of government brexit numpty.  May has also raised it. Now apparently Merkel has done the same. They are all going down a path of hostility and of hurting people's lives and situations.

and so the insanity goes on. Brexit, eh? Brilliant isn't it? No.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The right to remain thing was first raised by Liam Fox, disgraced former defence secretary, now some sort of government brexit numpty.  May has also raised it. Now apparently Merkel has done the same. They are all going down a path of hostility and of hurting people's lives and situations.

and so the insanity goes on. Brexit, eh? Brilliant isn't it? No.

Spoke with Fox in a forum about Afghan/SDSR in 2009 and agree he is a chod. May I don't really have an opinion on yet as PM, but in six months she'll either be doing very well or appallingly, but I think you're deliberately trying to fudge and confuse the issue being discussed by suggesting an equivalence in these statements about EU nationals.

The UK, with the support of 20 EU countries and encouragement from the European Commission has asked to put in place reciprocal guarantees for member state nationals current living arrangements. Merkel has blocked it so as to retain the future lives of those affected as a political bargaining chip. 

If anything it shows the UK did the right thing by not making a unilateral guarantee before now, because the Germans would have used the future of UK nationals in the EU as a hostage to the main negotiations.

It's disgusting, she's disgusting, and I don't really see another fair interpretation of Germany's actions. There is no reason for an issue of basic decency to be dragged into the lengthy and probably acrimonious political negotiations following A50. 

Far from insanity it reinforces the view that the EU is Germany by other means, both politically and economically through the Euro.

I suspect we won't be the only EU country that decides against being a part of this s*it show. 

• Like 2

In addition to the above point, it is currently the explicit (as in that's what they've repeatedly stated they're going to do) policy of the UK government to withdraw from the free movement of people provisions of any future agreement. Perhaps Merkel's position can be equated with simply saying that all folks are equal, not just a certain subset.

Trying for this is quite smart from a UK negotiating point of view and trying the old divide and conquer thing is always fun, of course it's never fun when you don't get your own way.

9 hours ago, Awol said:

I don't understand your first paragraph, sorry if I'm being dense but could you try rephrasing it? BTW we are currently fully paid up members of the EU. 

On your second point obviously we won't guarantee right of residence to EU citizens in UK without a reciprocal arrangement. We've offered to do so up front to give people millions of people certainty and the Germans are playing political games with it. 

It's that attitude which some have incorrectly ascribed to May along with words like 'disgraceful'. I'm interested to see whether those same epitaphs will now be thrown at Frau Merkel.

Obviously we will trigger A50, once the Supreme Court has sorted out the legal arrangements around the process of doing that. 

errr... I hope some of the above has clarified what I was alluding to. Yes, you are fully paid up members who have said "I want a divorce" and the rest of us are waiting for you lot to get the papers together. Things are different between us now.

I would suggest that it is anything but obvious that A50 will be triggered.

2 hours ago, villakram said:

errr... I hope some of the above has clarified what I was alluding to. Yes, you are fully paid up members who have said "I want a divorce" and the rest of us are waiting for you lot to get the papers together. Things are different between us now.

I would suggest that it is anything but obvious that A50 will be triggered.

We've told you we want a divorce but we've not asked for it yet. Until then we are still paying half the mortgage. So for now we will keep having an opinion on the curtains.

We are keeping the cat! 

:)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We've told you we want a divorce but we've not asked for it yet. Until then we are still paying half the mortgage. So for now we will keep having an opinion on the curtains.

We are keeping the cat! 

:)

Never liked that damn cat anyway and I'm actually a dog person!

I just died a little inside watching question time tonight. :-(

Where did all this shit come from? Was it always there but dormant and austerity has stirred it all up?

A primary school teacher was shouting at a panel member that English wasn't the first language in his playground and that he can't get a doctor's appointment. All because of immigration.

A school teacher.

Doesn't know that austerity has **** all to do with immigration.

Teaching our kids.

Last one out switch off the lights.

• Like 4

Â