The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

54 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Intrigued as to where you are if Greens are the option to get rid of the Tories?! 

Mine is Labour, but given it is Labour Majority of approximately 7,000 that doesn't surprise me. Will probably still vote Greens even though it is irrelevant. I suspect that Brexit Party will likely cause more damage to Tories and Labour in the area.

I also suspect that actually the impact of the Brexit Party will be significant. Whilst I suspect they will get little to no seats, I can see them taking a lot of votes from both main parties. The key will be how well both of those parties keep their voters happy. Corbyn has done the Labour Party no favours since 2017 election and unless he can pull it out of the bag again, I can see a lot of voters being turned off by him and going elsewhere. 

Isle of Wight. I'll keep a close eye as Labour made up good ground last time, but I think it'll be green.

Used to be a big Lib Dems area, sadly their support fell away 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Isle of Wight. I'll keep a close eye as Labour made up good ground last time, but I think it'll be green.

Used to be a big Lib Dems area, sadly their support fell away 

Thanks. looked at the last election, nearly a 20,000 majority for the Tories though?! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Thanks. looked at the last election, nearly a 20,000 majority for the Tories though?! 

Retirement homes here, pro brexit, but times are changing and our current MP is thick as shit - people can see through him.

39 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

How did I miss this 😂

*Only till February, when I actually join the real world. Can't wait! Running water AND electricity 😍

That doesn't explain why @theboyangelhas a beard down to his knees, I always assumed it was a lack of running water and electricity

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

As much as anyone can quite determine what Labour policy is, Labour is a self proclaimed Leave party. Labour wants to negotiate it's own leave deal with the EU, - which is a bit of a clue. And then Labour wants to do a special conference to decide whether the leave deal they'll have just spent 6 or 7 months negotiating and got is something Labour wants or not! (people might then ask - well if they didn't want it, what were they doing stopping negotiations before it was acceptable, or ask - were they even trying?, why negotiate to leave if you don't want to leave? ).... And then once they've decided whether they like what they've gone and negotiated , they're then going to ask everyone else if we like what they've done via another referendum. It's mental. Anyone wanting to remain, and going on policy would be better off avoiding that car crash of a party. 

I'm not so sure you are right. The whole issue with Brexit right now is that it's an immoveable object, two sides want to shift and they can't - because there is an equal force on each side. Labour's policy is to negotiate a deal, it doesn't make them a leave party. If my employer does what others have in the past and gives us 2x wage rises and benefits to vote upon, it doesn't mean they have a preference, it means they are giving the choice to us - the workers, or Labour are, to the people - which is what the party was born under - workers rights. Secondly, 70% of Labour MPs are within leave constituencies (I need to check this as I might be wrong) but it's a large number - and Labour are basing their policy on the people, the members, the ones who voted for it.

Lib Dems aren't a party of Brexit because they wanted to make a deal with Tories to vote on the Boris deal, and Labour isn't a party of Brexit because they will offer the same.

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Labour's policy is to negotiate a deal, it doesn't make them a leave party. If my employer does what others have in the past and gives us 2x wage rises and benefits to vote upon, it doesn't mean they have a preference, it means they are giving the choice to us - the workers, or Labour are, to the people - which is what the party was born under - workers rights. Secondly, 70% of Labour MPs are within leave constituencies (I need to check this as I might be wrong) but it's a large number - and Labour are basing their policy on the people, the members, the ones who voted for it.

The innate contradiction is in your post, several times.

"Labour's policy is to negotiate a deal [to leave]" - that makes their policy a Leave one.

Re pay rises, if my Union negotiates for a pay rise deal - that makes my union a "payrise" union.

Many Labour MPs being in leave seats - that's why they are (wrongly IMO) doing all this Leave policy business. They're, presumably on internal polling and their own wishes, deciding that they will lose voters in those seats if they plump for remain. But I think that's counter intuitive to an extent, in many cases. If the tory or Brexit voters in those seats (and those are both leave parties) stick with their choice of Tory/Brexit party, and why wouldn't they  - they're already Brexity toryish leavers, then Labour is going "leave" to try and pick up a few votes and also lose those remain Labour voters there. Polling they have may say that's the smart calculation, but it's not principled, it's not protecting workers rights and the NHS and all the core Labour values. It's cynical opportunism at best.

Labour's memebers are overwhelmingly remain.

Contradictions and mess everywhere with them, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Lib Dems aren't a party of Brexit because they wanted to make a deal with Tories to vote on the Boris deal

I missed that by the way - when did they do that? Genuine question

1 minute ago, blandy said:

The innate contradiction is in your post, several times.

"Labour's policy is to negotiate a deal [to leave]" - that makes their policy a Leave one.

Re pay rises, if my Union negotiates for a pay rise deal - that makes my union a "payrise" union.

Many Labour MPs being in leave seats - that's why they are (wrongly IMO) doing all this Leave policy business. They're, presumably on internal polling and their own wishes, deciding that they will lose voters in those seats if they plump for remain. But I think that's counter intuitive to an extent, in many cases. If the tory or Brexit voters in those seats (and those are both leave parties) stick with their choice of Tory/Brexit party, and why wouldn't they  - they're already Brexity toryish leavers, then Labour is going "leave" to try and pick up a few votes and also lose those remain Labour voters there. Polling they have may say that's the smart calculation, but it's not principled, it's not protecting workers rights and the NHS and all the core Labour values. It's cynical opportunism at best.

Labour's memebers are overwhelmingly remain.

Contradictions and mess everywhere with them, IMO.

My personal view is that Labour should put aside any thoughts of negotiation towards a deal, 100% that. And most Labour members are also remain - but the members who attended in Sept voted for us to have the remain>negotiate a deal as our policy. It doesn't help when there are idiots like Kinnock trying to do a deal to bring back May's poor exit package either.

Perhaps we need a referendum before a GE. If this was easy it would all have been solved long before you and I are debating it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

I'll try and find it, saw a Lib Dem on TV the other day. Might be after the Wolves game now. 👍

I can't find the TV interview 🤔 but found this which was the same as said on TV.

Brexit deal: Lib Dems could back Boris Johnson’s EU withdrawal agreement if it contains People’s Vote promise

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit/brexit-deal-boris-johnson-eu-withdrawal-agreement-lib-dems-peoples-vote-815468

(Doing this now as I'm on 5% battery and we've had a power cut 😭)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I missed that by the way - when did they do that? Genuine question

If they hold the balance of power, they’ll fall in with the tories for a Boris deal vs bin it referendum. They’ve said it a few times.

Already thinking about falling in with the tories again. Let that be fair warning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

but the members who attended in Sept voted for us to have the remain>negotiate a deal as our policy

Thats a very generous explanation of how the policy composite meeting went. If was palpably obvious that Kier Starmer thought there had been a stitch up. Nothing at a Labour Conference is as transparent as it seems

• Like 1

Â