FFP, Lerner and how it all works

Duck

Could someone with football manager 2016 go and do a season with villa and get relegated to give us a good first order estimate of how ruined our finances will actually be. Specifically, how quickly do we need to get back up before the current parachute structure abandons us to the... I'm assuming we'll be in a pretty bad position but that the parachute payments will tide us over assuming relatively prompt promotion??

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

None of those players are earning what Benteke, Delph, Bent and Given were picking up.

I'd be surprised if that's true. Bent was rumoured to be on about £80k, Delph around £50k, Benteke around the same and Given around £40k a week. That's £220k a week according to my very rough figures based on rumour and hearsay and the occasional made up newspaper thing.

I'd think that the likes of Gana, Veretout, Ayew and Amavi are all on at least £40k a week - they're players we signed for around the £10m mark and they'll have demanded that. £40k a week isn't a good salary in this league. If you think we're paying Gestede, Richards, Lescott, Traore and Bunn less than £60k a week between them, then I think you're probably some way off. 

I'd be quite surprised if our wage bill didn't go up quite a bit in the summer - which when you consider what we've got for it is an awful showing.

Regardless (and on topic) I don't think FFP is our problem, I can only dream of the day when that particular glass ceiling is a threat to our stooping form.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

When you look at our wage and transfer spending we are around the middle of the table for amount spent. There are teams who spend far less than us on wages and transfers who are competing just fine.

While some will disagree, I'm not displeased with the amount we've spent, it's the players we spent the money on, that is the problem.

And there lies the central issue.....IMO

for some considerable time now, I have said to myself after a transfer.....oh really, well they must know what they are doing?

Edited by TRO

We will get a better idea of where we are financially in a couple of months, although even then it will only be the results to May 2015, but we can take an educated guess from there. 

We must have a lower wage to turnover ratio than most clubs now surely? We've got a poverty squad in comparison to someone like say Stoke? Does the compensation we have to keep paying to mangers get included in the wage bill or other costs? 

How it all works....

you get a manager that knows his way around the business, he buys players to fit a system I.e ( round pegs in round holes........)

get them organised and win games.

all the rest seems to take care of itself.

so simply put get the right players.

ps sorry the rest is for rocket scientists.....it's simple.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Out of interest, where has Lerner been quoted as saying FFP is the reason he hasn't spent more?

Lerner says very little and he has not said that. He has not spent more since MON left because he chose not to, because he wants rid of us and because he was prepared to risk our future in the top flight to make the club look in a better financial situation for potential buyers so he had more chance of getting rid of us.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

We will get a better idea of where we are financially in a couple of months, although even then it will only be the results to May 2015, but we can take an educated guess from there. 

We must have a lower wage to turnover ratio than most clubs now surely? We've got a poverty squad in comparison to someone like say Stoke? Does the compensation we have to keep paying to mangers get included in the wage bill or other costs? 

I wouldn't be surprised if our wage bill is larger than Stokes. I don't think we're not spending enough on wages. I think we're spending it very very badly. 

10 hours ago, TRO said:

How it all works....

you get a manager that knows his way around the business, he buys players to fit a system I.e ( round pegs in round holes........)

get them organised and win games.

all the rest seems to take care of itself.

so simply put get the right players.

ps sorry the rest is for rocket scientists.....it's simple.

Simple as that... right. 

14 hours ago, villakram said:

Could someone with football manager 2016 go and do a season with villa and get relegated to give us a good first order estimate of how ruined our finances will actually be. Specifically, how quickly do we need to get back up before the current parachute structure abandons us to the... I'm assuming we'll be in a pretty bad position but that the parachute payments will tide us over assuming relatively prompt promotion??

:rolleyes: because FM is SO accurate. 

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Didn't FFP come in a couple of years after Lerner started tightening the strings?

I always assumed it was the Man City takeover that killed the investment.

Yep. This 100%. IMO Lerner was convinced that Champions League was attainable pre-Man City and the financial arms race really kicking off. I assume he thought the CL revenues would offset his expenditure.  He quickly realised that wasn't possible and told MON he needed to balance the books. FFP plays a role in that in the sense that our wages were such a high % of our overall turnover it made sinking more ££ into the club difficult even if Lerner had the money and/or the inclination.  MON had a wobbly and stomped off - cue a succession of managers more in tune or at least willing with the idea of cutting costs and maintaining league position.

Lerner's lack of investment is a major cause in our current plight. Do I blame him for that? No not really. If I owned the club I wouldn't piss millions of £s up the wall trying to achieve something that is quite impossible. It cannot however be denied that Lerner has invested in the club and given a series of managers sufficient funds to keep us in the league - and that until this season they have achieved that aim. 

Even above McLeish - Lerner/Fox's biggest crime for me is the appointment of Sherwood. 

What I find amazing is that the major constant in this story is the playing staff who largely appear to get away scott free when it comes to the blame game. Yes - its easy to be cross at Lerner but there are other more important reasons for our failings. 

Â