Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

after reading opinions yesterday, and just watching match of the day this morning, its clear that our whole defense are awful, not even average

a whole new back line is needed, which will be impossible to put in place in january, so looks like relegation is finally on the cards

I'll admit to only watching up to the second goal. 2 things stood out:

1) We had a very attacking line-up with Gil, Grealish and (arguably) Westwood instead of Sanchez... but sat very deep and tried to defend. Wrong selections for that.

2) After weathering the first 15 minutes, we finally had some possession. Stuck in our own half we played it around the backs and Guzan for a while when it finally came to Clark.... who lumped it directly to Howard. Why? Because not 1 of our midfield 5 shaped for it or wanted it.

I knew what was coming after that and, sure enough, it took 1 minute more for Everton to open the scoring. No point watching past the 2nd goal.

• Like 1

I can see what Garde was trying to do. Everton fans are very quick to jump on their team's back when things aren't going the way they expect, which does effect the players.

Nil nil at half time would've meant a loss of shape in Everton's ranks which Gil and Grealish could have exploited.

Unfortunately for us, we had no players able to defend our left side, which was evidently the key to Everton's game plan since Hutton rarely had to do any defending.

I think Everton played superbly yesterday, and would have given any team in the league a tough time with a performance like that. At least City and Real Madrid both conceded 4 as well, and they were both at home!!

Watford will be interesting. There should be a little less need to defend down the left than against Everton, but they can be a very difficult team to break down, which is the weakest area of our game at the moment.

17 hours ago, Thevillanofoz said:

The problem is who will come? We will likely still be bottom by January. No decent PL players high on confidence will switch, nor will the better championship players. I mean even Austin has reportedly said he won't come to a struggling pl side - so basically we d need to try and grab a couple of the best players from a mid table championship team - which won't cut it. I'd be getting vlaar back tbh and trying lescott at lb or seeing if Hutton could do a job there and sticking Richards at right. But that is the only realistically achievable purchase that I think could improve us at this stage :-(

Charlie Austin could be bought if we wanted him enough.

I think its more about getting the right type of player - they don't necessarily need to be world class - look at Leicester, no superstars, in fact no one of note other than Mahrez and Vardy who are class, but their team play as one and with energy, drive and industry - they dont drop their heads either. Remember where they were in February last season. Crystal Palace are similar. We need a solid side, we potentially have some quality, but we need more quality competition and more energy. 

I cant help but think that if we simplified it a bit - shored up the middle and defence, and just played down the wings with pace and crossed to Gestede, with Ayew playing behind (a bit like MON).

We need to find the goals though.

Bad, in fact very bad. Guzan needs to be dropped or replaced, I can't fathom why he wasn't replaced in the summer after being dropped at the end of the season. The rest were poor all over , defense was all over the shop and the midfield was given a lesson from arguable the best midfield performance I have seen for a long time, got to give Everton credit for that tbh. Ayew tried to create and score on his own , my motm for us  , him or Sanchez

Edited by tinker

We were out-classed from first whistle to last.  The only positive was that we looked more competent when Sanchez came on.  Obviously the game was too far gone at that stage but I suspect we'll see him starting from now onwards.

17 hours ago, tinker said:

Bad, in fact very bad. Guzan needs to be dropped or replaced, I can't fathom why he wasn't replaced in the summer after being dropped at the end of the season. 

What did he do wrong yesterday?

Genuine question.
I only watched the first 40 minutes, but in that time he didn't do anything wrong, and pulled off two very good saves.

And judging by the fact nobody had posted in his thread I'd assumed he wasn't at fault the rest of the game. Did he have a bad second half?

I'm just not convinced , he's nervous in his own box and for me it transfers through the whole defense. On the first goal, I think it was the first,  he palmed it towards to of their players, not ideal.

If he was second choice at the end of last season why wasn't he replaced ?

I didn't think Guzan was particularly bad.  I do think he is nervous but I think that's understandable.  He has had some rocky games and that's always going to affect confidence.  I'll say that he doesn't currently instill any confidence in me, and you would worry that he might be having the same effect on his defenders, but Saturday was not a particularly bad day at the office for him in terms of his own personal performance.  We got battered by a very clinical Everton side.  That can happen.

22 hours ago, tinker said:

I'm just not convinced , he's nervous in his own box and for me it transfers through the whole defense. On the first goal, I think it was the first,  he palmed it towards to of their players, not ideal.

I think it's insane if you're blaming that goal on him.

It was an excellent save. He had literally nowhere else to palm it.

lol "excellent save", talk about hyperbole

it was a bog-standard save that you would expect any goalkeeper to make

that is not to say it was a mistake per se, just to point out you are going in the opposite direction of people claiming it was a bit of a clanger

I think you're doing him a disservice. Excellent may be an exagerration, but it certainly wasn't bog standard.

It was low and hard and well away from his body. 

But the point, really, was that palming it away was his only option. I don't see anything else he could have done from there. He could have palmed it to a slightly different area, but that's pretty much pot luck. Two unmarked Everton players following in the shot meant unless he held onto it, which was impossible, it was probably going to end up as a goal.

There's plenty of things to have a go at Guzan about this season. We don't have to start making stuff up