Quoting system isn't working

The_Rev

Question

Difficult to describe my exact issue, but the quote system seems to be all over the pace at the moment, specifically in the Paris thread.  It doesn't appear to be letting old quotes go if I try to quote something else and as a result the quote box is just getting clogged up.  Going by other comments in that thread it seems it's not just me having the issue.  I'm on Chrome (47.0.2 beta) and Windows 10 for what it's worth. 

I'm having a bit of trouble with quoting. Over the last couple of days I've pressed the quote button but then changed my mind about the post. I'm then unable to remove/delete the quote from my reply field. I can remove the text from within the quote but not the quote box itself, as above.  

I'm using Google chrome browser on my mobile. I have cleared my cache

Edited by av1

Dunno about mobile. On a computer you Hold Ctrl, right click the text box and select "Remove quote" as per Limpid's post here.

It doesn't always work though. I think the new site is great, but the quoting system seems to be the one negative. It's **** awful.

Edited by Stevo985
4 hours ago, av1 said:

I'm having a bit of trouble with quoting. Over the last couple of days I've pressed the quote button but then changed my mind about the post. I'm then unable to remove/delete the quote from my reply field. I can remove the text from within the quote but not the quote box itself, as above.  

Quoting on a mobile is awful on this site unfortunately

6 hours ago, av1 said:

If this has only started in the last few days then I don't know what to suggest - nothing has changed on the server in that time.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Dunno about mobile. On a computer you Hold Ctrl, right click the text box and select "Remove quote" as per Limpid's post here.

It doesn't always work though. I think the new site is great, but the quoting system seems to be the one negative. It's **** awful.

On mobile, you tap on the banner of the quote and the little + appears. Double tap the + and your "cut, copy, paste" options pop up - click cut.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, limpid said:

If this has only started in the last few days then I don't know what to suggest - nothing has changed on the server in that time.

My experience is that from time to time Google chrome (on a win 7 desktop PC) just won't get rid of a "ghost quote", without closing down, emptying caches, logging out, logging in and such like. I've no idea whether it's a windows/chrome/ VT site thing, but generally the comments about the quoting system being, er, "difficult" at times are something I have also seen (and reported). The site generally is good though and most stuff has its irritations that people live with.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, limpid said:

On mobile, you tap on the banner of the quote and the little + appears. Double tap the + and your "cut, copy, paste" options pop up - click cut.

Just tried this and it worked fine, thanks :thumb:

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It quotes things I already posted before and wont go away. Unlike on PC you can right click to remove the quote in question on the mobile doesnt give you that luxury

I've just posted how to remove it on a mobile and @av1 confirms it worked.

20 hours ago, blandy said:

My experience is that from time to time Google chrome (on a win 7 desktop PC) just won't get rid of a "ghost quote", without closing down, emptying caches, logging out, logging in and such like. I've no idea whether it's a windows/chrome/ VT site thing, but generally the comments about the quoting system being, er, "difficult" at times are something I have also seen (and reported). The site generally is good though and most stuff has its irritations that people live with.

The only time I had this, a page refresh (shift F5) gave me the little + back again. Can you try that next time?

• Like 1
On 12/02/2016 at 22:23, av1 said:

Just tried this and it worked fine, thanks :thumb:

I've just tried it and no luck. I double click the quote and the + appears but double tapping it brings no options. Previously I could click the + once and then hit delete and it would delete the whole quote but this doesn't work anymore. 

The cut, copy options come up on the text but not the quote. 

Not the end of the world as I also use my Chromebook which isn't an issue but can be frustrating when I want to post and can't get rid of the quote on my mobile 

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I've just tried it and no luck. I double click the quote and the + appears but double tapping it brings no options. Previously I could click the + once and then hit delete and it would delete the whole quote but this doesn't work anymore. 

The cut, copy options come up on the text but not the quote. 

Not the end of the world as I also use my Chromebook which isn't an issue but can be frustrating when I want to post and can't get rid of the quote on my mobile 

What kind of mobile? It works on all my Android devices, even though they all have different ways to present the copy / cut options. Are you sure you are double tapping the +? Have you tried zooming in?

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

What kind of mobile? It works on all my Android devices, even though they all have different ways to present the copy / cut options. Are you sure you are double tapping the +? Have you tried zooming in?

Nexus 6p. It's only been the last week or so. I've tried zooming, double tapping and holding down but no luck so far. I'll try again, maybe it's me just being special. 

Â