Quoting system isn't working

The_Rev

Question

Difficult to describe my exact issue, but the quote system seems to be all over the pace at the moment, specifically in the Paris thread.  It doesn't appear to be letting old quotes go if I try to quote something else and as a result the quote box is just getting clogged up.  Going by other comments in that thread it seems it's not just me having the issue.  I'm on Chrome (47.0.2 beta) and Windows 10 for what it's worth. 

yeah, if you start to quote, or try to post up a picture it's really difficult to shake it off if you change your mind

I've had to log out and come back in to shake stuff off. I probs just need to learn whatever new little quirk there is - that doubtless a 12 year old would just pick up intuitively.  

ok, just for info., I'm beginning to get to grips with the quoting now.

The system can retain quotes where you changed your mind. You come back an hour later and that quote and hilarious penis joke are still there. But it should be simple enough to see that they are still there when you next go back to write something else, even more awesome than your original post was going to be.

Sometimes, a simple combo of backspace and delete will get rid of it. Sometimes it's a little more sticky. If you hover the cursor over the quote or over the top left corner of the quote that will not delete a small grey / blue box appears, get the cursor in that and press delete and the quote is gone.

A little more fiddly than previously, but adds about 1 second to the process once you've sussed it. 

It also forces you to take a little more care, look and proof read - which can't be a bad thing!

• Like 1
On 14 November 2015 at 00:06:45, The_Rev said:

It doesn't appear to be letting old quotes go if I try to quote something else and as a result the quote box is just getting clogged up.  

This issue is horrendous when I'm trying to post on the iPhone using Safari. Is there a quick and easy way to remove stored quotes does anyone know? 

57 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

This issue is horrendous when I'm trying to post on the iPhone using Safari. Is there a quick and easy way to remove stored quotes does anyone know? 

Please follow the instructions at the top of the forum.

Windeys 7, Google chrome.

You asked me to post this (in the things that pyo thread). If I click quote for (say) your post above and then decide I don't want to quote it after all, as I have to go, so I cancel. later I come to another thread, and a user has written something I want to quote an extract of I select their text I want to quote, and click the "quote this" little thing that appears, it will paste your post above into the box, not the text I've just selected.

Now I could reset the google chrome to possibly prevent it, but it's a pain and it means other sites will be affected - I'll have to re-log in, lose my history and all the rest. Some people might claim that's good, but as a user, it's inconvenient. I'm trying to read the news, or post on a forum not access my bank.

I have the same problem as Blandy, but clearing my browser history/cache/cookies etc makes no difference.

Doing the ctrl-right click as above gets rid of the offending quote - but then leaves me unable to type anything else!

Yep. As per MrDuck. I don't like Windows and I don't like Google, but sometimes I have no choice but to use them. As has also been advised, eventually the issue can be worked round. Yet as a user experience the software is not ideal in this regard.  Hopefully one day they'll fix it

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I have the same problem as Blandy, but clearing my browser history/cache/cookies etc makes no difference.

Doing the ctrl-right click as above gets rid of the offending quote - but then leaves me unable to type anything else!

As per the message at the top of the forum, please include your OS, browser and what happened when you tried another browser.

Did you try clicking any of the buttons in the editor? When you reloaded the page, what happened?

Windows 7, problem identical in both Firefox and Chrome.

Reloading any page in the same thread resulted in the same problem. 

Attempting to post a reply anywhere in the thread, with or without quotes, still gave the same problem.

Right-clicking to remove the quote worked, as mentioned previously, but then the editor no longer works at all.

It's happened a few times this week, but I've really struggled to see any sort of pattern to it.

Can you try another computer just to rule that out? I sent see how you can get a cache failure (which this is) happening across multiple browsers.

Which version of windows and is it patched up to date? Also which antivirus  and anti-malware are you running? Are you using any kind of JavaScript or ad / cookie blocker?

Apologies if this has been covered, but if I quote a post containing a quote, then what I quoted no longer contains the quote contained within the original post. This used to happen as standard (my post containing all quotes in the tree) but now I have no idea how to include previous quotes :S. Any ideas?

On 29/12/2015 at 09:47, limpid said:

@Spoony You can hit quote on as many posts as you like. It will insert the quote where the cursor is, or you can drag quotes around using the little "+" in the top left of each quote.

Thanks Limpid. Is there no longer a way of hitting "quote" so that all of the previous quotes contained in that post are also quoted in yours?

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Thanks Limpid. Is there no longer a way of hitting "quote" so that all of the previous quotes contained in that post are also quoted in yours?

Only by clicking it multiple times as I described. This is deliberate to stop the horrendous over quoting which used to happen. You can multiquote if you want but you have to put in effort.

Â