Quoting system isn't working

The_Rev

Question

Difficult to describe my exact issue, but the quote system seems to be all over the pace at the moment, specifically in the Paris thread.  It doesn't appear to be letting old quotes go if I try to quote something else and as a result the quote box is just getting clogged up.  Going by other comments in that thread it seems it's not just me having the issue.  I'm on Chrome (47.0.2 beta) and Windows 10 for what it's worth. 

43 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

im trying to delete a post by using the instructions on this page but its not working.

You can't delete posts. This thread explains how you can delete quote boxes BEFORE you press submit. Then you don't create empty posts with a quote in them.

On 12 February 2016 at 16:07, limpid said:

On mobile, you tap on the banner of the quote and the little + appears. Double tap the + and your "cut, copy, paste" options pop up - click cut.

On 18 February 2016 at 22:06, limpid said:

I need someone to verify it on ios now....

On iOS double tap = zoom, so that quoted doesn't happen or work. Edit for clarity the plus appears, but double tapping it zooms in,rather than giving options

56 minutes ago, blandy said:

On iOS double tap = zoom, so that quoted doesn't happen or work. Edit for clarity the plus appears, but double tapping it zooms in,rather than giving options

Cool. I found the Android fix by a few minutes trial and error. How does IOS enter cut and paste mode in a text box?

1 hour ago, limpid said:

How does IOS enter cut and paste mode in a text box?

to cut, you select the text by touching it and staying touched, then dragging the little thingummies that appear and from the pop up menu that also appears, select copy or whatever option you want. to paste, touch and hold and again, select from the pop up menu that appears

here's a pic.

IMG_2552.PNG

On 23/02/2016 at 09:59, limpid said:

Can you tap the "limpid said" text in the quote box and then "touch and stay touched" on the + when it appears? Then tap cut when it pops up.

That doesn't work using the built in keyboard, but a version of that works using SwiftKey. Tap the "Limpid said:" text, then tap the "+", then in SwiftKey some scissors appear, which can be used to get rid of the whole block quote.

Image2.jpg

2 hours ago, limpid said:

I hope that means something to IOS users :)

Does it mean you can't access cut and paste in textareas with the stock IOS keyboard? That seems odd.

So do I - or it was a waste of time posting it.

No it doesn't - cut and paste is available in text areas (as per my earlier post), with the stock keyboard, but the specific feature of this site (and maybe some others) with the little "+" sign thing appears not to be something that can be cut with the stock keypad, but it can be cut via swiftkey, (which is nice). Swiftkey is an improvement in most respects over the basic keyboard.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, useless said:

Delete text manually. Then select everything And press the backspace button.

Confirmation that this works.

Edited by useless
A further development, I'm now able to delete the quote without manually, deleting the text first.
  • Like 1

Still cant get rid of quote boxes.

On my old phone (Galaxy S5) Icould press + in the top corner and delete.

On my new phone (Huawei P8) it doesnt work... I've tried everything I can think of...

Edit: double press at top and scissors works... 

Edited by Genie
11 hours ago, Genie said:

Still cant get rid of quote boxes.

On my old phone (Galaxy S5) Icould press + in the top corner and delete.

On my new phone (Huawei P8) it doesnt work... I've tried everything I can think of...

Edit: double press at top and scissors works... 

So what works is the advice in this thread :):):) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Genie said:

Seems to be several ways it needs to be done depending on the device being used. I assumed that Chrome on 1 Android handset would be the same as another.

It depends how much the manufacturer has messed with the cut and paste functions. And probably how old the android version is.

I'll try to find time to pull all the different fixes into a single post.

• Like 1
Â