The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I think its fair to say he has had a pretty good week but I am still not seeing as big an improvement in our organisation on the pitch, pretty much zero improvement in movement of players for throw-ins or off the ball.

Why does he persist in playing our 2-1 up top when it leaves us light in midfield and not enough of a threat in front of goal.

I think its fair to say he has had a pretty good week but I am still not seeing as big an improvement in our organisation on the pitch, pretty much zero improvement in movement of players for throw-ins or off the ball.

Why does he persist in playing our 2-1 up top when it leaves us light in midfield and not enough of a threat in front of goal.

Ayew doesn't really play "up top". He's a number 10. Runs the channels, works the defence. Creates. Even if he was playing as a 2 as you suggest, you would drop him or Kozak and play Ayew on his own?

The only time we've played with 2 conventional strikers is second half against Leicester. That's in his entire time here. We equalised and generally looked the better side.

I'm bemused at your complaint really. Whatever he's done the last two league games, it has worked.

• Like 2

We went two up top when we needed to. I'd also say second half vs Newcastle was 2 up top as well.

It's an option and he appears to only use it when necessary. 

I fail to see the problem with that.

Gestede on his own is too isolated

Ayew plays way to deep

Kozac may work on his own.

I would prefer to see 2 of those 3 playing together as two strikers because I think with our 4-3-2-1 formation we dont boss the midfield, we dont cause enough problems for the opposition defence.

Look at how much more of a threat we looked on saturday in the last 30 minutes we had Gestede & Kozak side by side.

12 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Gestede on his own is too isolated

Ayew plays way to deep

Kozac may work on his own.

I would prefer to see 2 of those 3 playing together as two strikers because I think with our 4-3-2-1 formation we dont boss the midfield, we dont cause enough problems for the opposition defence.

Look at how much more of a threat we looked on saturday in the last 30 minutes we had Gestede & Kozak side by side.

It's not a one solution fits all scenario though.

It worked on Saturday because Leicester are happy to give up possession. They get everybody behind the ball and it becomes very difficult to pass through them. So it worked because we bypassed their midfield and went direct. Similarly against Newcastle I think the conditions dictated that a more direct approach would be more effective.

Against teams where they prefer to have possession that won't work as well because we lose a man in midfield and the midfield battle is easily lost. A lot of teams don't play 2 up front now for those reasons.

The fact two big men worked on Saturday isn't evidence that it will always work. Probably our best attacking performance of the season (despite the result) was against Watford and we played with one up front.

• Like 2

It doesnt have to be two big men which is why I said 2 of the 3.

The Watford game we scored 2 goals and one of those was from Richards (CD) with Ayew scoring in the 89th minute, not sure of the number of shots on target though.

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

The Watford game we scored 2 goals and one of those was from Richards (CD) with Ayew scoring in the 89th minute, not sure of the number of shots on target though.

Neither of those things contradict what I said. Two big men or two men in general. The problem with the (already weak) midfield being light is the same.

Watford was a good attacking performance. We created a lot of chances which we ultimately didn't put away.

Which highlights the real problem behind our lack of goals. No good strikers.

Edited by Stevo985

Gestede is crap. The strikers we have aren't suited to the style Garde wants that's why he's looking to get players in. Kozak is our best option as he has a high work rate but not the pace to be truly effective. Ayew IMO is class. He can play wide either side and in a front 2 we just need to get him someone to play with. One of biggest mistakes in the summer was buying a striker who needs crosses and not buying someone to cross to him!! Garde is giving players chances to show they're buying into his style of they don't he'll have them out. Regardless of what division we need to keep him and his squad together. 

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I'm not sure if you went to the game but we created loads but we haven't a Benteke to score which is a major problem. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

I'm not sure if you went to the game but we created loads but we haven't a Benteke to score which is a major problem. 

7 shots on target, 4 off target are what the stats show, but I didnt go so cannot comment how 11 shots equates to loads. We may well have had more threat that day.

18 goals in 22 league games, the lowest in the league.

The trouble is once you concede you have to score 2 to win the game and whether its players (probably) or formations (maybe) or tactics (maybe) we cannot do that which is why Garde has had so many draws. Our 2 league wins have been 1-0.

Sorry I must have misread your post, you want to see 2 strikers?

Ayew isn't a striker either way, he plays with a free role which he's bloody good at.

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think Hutton was a much bigger detriment to the team than we realised.  Hope he's made his last appearance for us.

Not necessarily disagreeing with it all, but this sounds like groundhog day. I remember when he was in the bomb squad. Came back and had a couple blinders and the statements were the complete opposite of yours.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with it all, but this sounds like groundhog day. I remember when he was in the bomb squad. Came back and had a couple blinders and the statements were the complete opposite of yours.

He huffs and puffs and gets dirty.  If you don't see a lot of him he'd look like an asset.  That's why commentators and pundits always praise him.

Â