The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

4 hours ago, OneNightInRotterdam said:

The Lyon fans referred to him as "Gardeiola". Says how highly they thought of him. 

And? That's no reflection on how successful or not he would be with us 

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why?

well the nickname is obv tongue in cheek to some extent, but he is clearly not worthy of any comparison to guardiola. That includes his achievements in France, which with the greatest of respects is a piss poor league. 

I quite like him, there's something about him. And he may turn out to be a success.

However, atm, he looks completely incapable of winning a football match.

• Like 2

Why?

well the nickname is obv tongue in cheek to some extent, but he is clearly not worthy of any comparison to guardiola. That includes his achievements in France, which with the greatest of respects is a piss poor league. 

I quite like him, there's something about him. And he may turn out to be a success.

However, atm, he looks completely incapable of winning a football match.

I'd say it's clearly tongue in cheek yes, but it is also indicative of how highly they thought of him.

My point is this, regardless of how he's doing now, there is absolutely no need for us to revise his time with Lyon to suit a particular agenda. He's having a hard enough time as it is and I'll take 3rd in the championship next year from him, never mind 3rd in the top flight.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd say it's clearly tongue in cheek yes, but it is also indicative of how highly they thought of him.

My point is this, regardless of how he's doing now, there is absolutely no need for us to revise his time with Lyon to suit a particular agenda. He's having a hard enough time as it is and I'll take 3rd in the championship next year from him, never mind 3rd in the top flight.

Agree with all that.

• Like 1

The Lyon fans referred to him as "Gardeiola". Says how highly they thought of him. 

It's part of his CV, just as Lambert's time with Norwich was indicative of talent.

We can't see in to the future, given he's only had 9 games here under extremely difficult circumstances (and failed to win a single one of them, granted) looking into his past is still of some use. Don't you think?

9 hours ago, mwj said:

About his CV? As I've already explained in this thread, the fact that he ran one of the world's most respected youth academies, then managed the same club for 3 years with an emphasis on blooding young players, into the Champions League, and you could somewhat realistically say "his team" should have won Ligue 1 last season, after he left.

Don't really see it, he was part of a youth academy that was successful - not really any measure for success in management.

All that's on his CV of any relevance is 3 years management where he unspectacularly achieved equilibrium with Lyon.  Admittedly in the face of players being sold, but to the reality is he achieved just under average league position finishes for a club pretty much used to finishing up the top.  Lyons league finishes in numbers :-

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 4, 4, 3, 5 

I am not against Garde, and I make none of these posts to attack him or denounce him as the man for the job.  I simply want to make the point that he's done nothing, or achieved nothing in his career to get excited about - nothing that would say he was definitely the right choice at all.  All except the fact he continued a steady ship with the youth players with best players being sold, which is a situation we find our selves in.

However, up to now for Aston Villa he's been very much below par - his results have been failures which has seen during his tenure go from a position with a lot of games to play making you still in the hunt to really not enough games to dig ourselves out any longer.  Not all his fault of course, we have poor players, but to me he's made mistakes that undoubtedly come from his clear lack of real management experience (3 years total, with one club in the french league, is piss all).

I hope and believe he'll improve, and I hope he turns out to be the right guy as I've said many times.  I want to give him till the end of the season, more so because there is little other option.  But I want to call a spade a spade, he's a relatively inexperienced manager and he was a big risk - but we have to take risks in our posiition because we can't attract the pep type managers of the world and we have to find the next "big thing" or go with mediocre stability rubbish.  We've gambled on the next big thing here, so let's hope it works out.

• Like 1

You still haven't answered why you think he'll be a failure, I'm curious to know

10 hours ago, Neil said:

What in particular makes him right?  Not a great deal to say one way or the other in my opinion.

To be honest what makes him right is that (1) he isn't geriatric, nor just retired from playing, (2) he isn't, at least yet, a basket case of one sort or another, and (3) despite (2) he was happy to work here.

If we are realistic we are scraping the bottom of a fairly empty barrel. Yes, there are plenty of ' Lambert-esque' up and comers but they won't try another of those until the next or next but one turn of the wheel, simply because we had one not long ago.

As it happens the 3 things that made him ' right' are about the only things that still do !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

To be honest what makes him right is that (1) he isn't geriatric, nor just retired from playing, (2) he isn't, at least yet, a basket case of one sort or another, and (3) despite (2) he was happy to work here.

If we are realistic we are scraping the bottom of a fairly empty barrel. Yes, there are plenty of ' Lambert-esque' up and comers but they won't try another of those until the next or next but one turn of the wheel, simply because we had one not long ago.

As it happens the 3 things that made him ' right' are about the only things that still do !

So he has all his teeth and no artificial limbs, sure that's probably good enough for me to - because it's the best of a pretty bad bunch I suppose is what you're saying.

I can agree with that, and no problem with it really - just can't take people talking him up as a messiah.  That was wrong then, it's still wrong now - but he could become it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mwj said:

You still haven't answered why you think he'll be a failure, I'm curious to know

Because it would appear he cannot motivate players to play for him? Because we have not improved at all since he arrived? Because he hasn't won yet?

A combination of all 3, would be my guess as to why people think he would be a failure

Because it would appear he cannot motivate players to play for him? Because we have not improved at all since he arrived? Because he hasn't won yet?

A combination of all 3, would be my guess as to why people think he would be a failure

**** well isn't that symptomatic of society these days. He can't turn around 5 years of car crash in 9 weeks so he must be shit. Ok mate...

• Like 1

Tbh it probably isn't even worth judging him at the end of the season. Not many managers could have turned out crap season around so calling for his head if we go down is just ridiculous.

if we lose every game between now and then, fine. But he isn't the reason we are where we are. Give him as much of a chance as Tim at least

*edit* love the way everyone assumes it'll be the clubs  choice whether we keep him or not. He could walk if we go down, despite what he's said previously.

Edited by Duck

14 minutes ago, Duck said:

Tbh it probably isn't even worth judging him at the end of the season. Not many managers could have turned out crap season around so calling for his head if we go down is just ridiculous.

if we lose every game between now and then, fine. But he isn't the reason we are where we are. Give him as much of a chance as Tim at least

Judging him by the end of the season, without doing the maths, would be giving him more games than Tim... No?

7 hours ago, OneNightInRotterdam said:

To be honest, I really don't care what he did at Lyon or how he was referred to, I'm waiting for him to do something remotely good here. 

• Like 3

Maybe in games, but Sherwood had around 9 months give or take before he left. Including the full preseason.

if Garde leaves in May thatd be around 6 months, and arguably he would have more time to work with the squad in a preseason break.

judging him by an equal number of games is a bit pointless as well. Sherwoods first few games had benteke in the squad who arguable saved our season, and he had the opportunity to build in the summer. Garde has had to work with a weak squad and only now getting to strengthen.

at the end of the day, we need long term stability rather than a chop shop attitude. That's hardly going to help in any way 

just a few points

• He will only walk if he thinks the support is not there and the job is in his opinion untenable.If he thinks it is ok,he will see it as a interesting challenge
  • We do need to see some form of improvement at some stage......what we don't know is what is reasonable time.
  • Motivation is not the only answer to improved performance.....There maybe other factors too and some he could be working on..... we don't know how long these things take.
  • It may well be that bringing in the right players is the only way to kick start the turn around.
  • I still think there are so many important elements at B6 ....we as fans are not privy too.
Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â