Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

First choices now would be Andre Gray from Burnley. Scored 14 in 22 this season and he's from Wolverhampton so might prefer a move back to the area. Other would be Matty Phillips from QPR. Creates loads of chances. 

Gray has already played for 2 clubs this season (Brentford and signed for Burnley at end of August) and is not allowed to play for 3 clubs during one season.

And we wouldn't be able to afford him anyway.

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

Gray has already played for 2 clubs this season (Brentford and signed for Burnley at end of August) and is not allowed to play for 3 clubs during one season.

And we wouldn't be able to afford him anyway.

And he wil be in the premier league next season and we wontwon't

• Like 1

But that's my point. I would expect them to have more fight as local lads, both have shown they are capable. Something must be wrong with them not busting a gut for the club. I don't want us to waste money on a player like Christian Santos, who posted his release clause on Twitter. Rather put Hepburn-Murphy up there.

We barely made any chances against WBA to tuck away, didn't get behind them all that often and rarely got to the byline. Benteke on form last season would not have scored in yesterday's game. 

We want players all over the field to score, not just strikers. We want goals from midfield and out wide. Our last winning goal in the Prem came from a defender. 

Austin was never going to come to villa why would he [emoji23]

in the summer he was a possibility though

Still a slim chance tbh we wouldn't have been able to afford the fee then hence why we went for 6mil gestede, and his wages probably would have been too high for us. I think we have lost the potential to be able to sign players like that anymore, our best bet for next season would be someone like Rhodes, but once again I doubt we would spend the cash for him

6 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

But that's my point. I would expect them to have more fight as local lads, both have shown they are capable. Something must be wrong with them not busting a gut for the club. I don't want us to waste money on a player like Christian Santos, who posted his release clause on Twitter. Rather put Hepburn-Murphy up there.

We barely made any chances against WBA to tuck away, didn't get behind them all that often and rarely got to the byline. Benteke on form last season would not have scored in yesterday's game. 

We want players all over the field to score, not just strikers. We want goals from midfield and out wide. Our last winning goal in the Prem came from a defender. 

yeah, lets play a 17 year old that has one appearance, im sure that will definetly work out especially with the pressure we have on us.

Benteke would have had a field day against west brom if he was on form.

Edited by tomaspg

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That list - only Ayew wil be sought after, and possibly not even him.

Maybe so. But those mentioned have with the exception of Gana and Ayew plenty of experience for a newly promoted club or relegation threatened club to use in bolstering their squads. And for quite minimal fees. 

I can understand us not spending daft money this window, but not to get Debuchy is a bit staggering. Not confirmed either way yet, but that is an obvious loan that needs doing and that isn't going to harm a promotion push next year.

Tomaspg you would rather spend money on Santos who has one season of top flight season of football in Holland, than promote from within. We invest in our academy and we should expect a return on it.

We are a club in trouble, we cannot attract top targets, we have made some poor financial decisions and have been flirting with relegation for years. I dont think there is spending quick fix that will save us. As with Leicester they found their group strength and went forward. 

People can lambast my view as much as you like but teams win games, we need the team to play well. There are two things I know for sure in football: teamwork will cut teams apart and people can surprise you. 

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

I think the board are preparing for life in the Championship. By that I mean, they aren't buying any players now and will simply look to sell our most valuable assets in the summer before replacing them with players from the lower leagues around Europe. 

One thing they need to remember, Aston Villa will be seen as the biggest club in that league and clubs will add a few more quid on to the asking price of any players we chase after. 

The board have already basically said they're first priority if relegated is to keep the current squad together and keep Remi at the helm. I can't see them selling anyone useful, unless we're offered silly money... Which is what they want.

If they make a huge profit on someone then I've no doubt they'll be tempted to sell, but promotion is the main aim if we go down

Edited by Duck
Autocorrect fail
  • Like 1

I don't understand why people think our owner will give Garde the necessary funding to try to bring us straight back up. For 4 years we've been asking for more money to guarantee top flight football and he's failed to do that! 

If anything, I think there will be another clear out of all our sellable assets and they will be replaced on the cheap, ala this season. 

• Like 1

We need someone who can score goals now - Gestede (who is also injured for possibly a month), Kozak, Sinclair and Gabby are not scoring or look remotely like doing so either. Only Ayew looks capable and he looked shattered yesterday

I like the look of Hepburn-Murphy but he is just a kid and to lay the whole attacking emphasis on such young inexperienced shoulders would potentially damage his career more than enhance it. (If we were safely mid-table, then maybe I would blood him a bit more)

I personally would rather sign someone like Santos, if he were willing to come. He is 27, prime fitness and in good form.

We have too many 'strikers' that can't do the one thing they're on the pitch to do.

The other thing by signing someone is to give the fans something to be positive over - by promoting from within would only enforce the thought that the club have given up and waving the white flag.

If we look at how we're playing, we're becoming harder to beat, which is a huge improvement in itself. We can't rely on draws unfortunately, but obviously we just can't score.

Looking at the team, it's pretty settled both in personnel and formation. With Ayew operating more as a number 10, our weakest link in the team is a striker. Yesterday, Westwood and Gil looked to play some direct passes over their back four, passes that someone like Jermaine Defoe would have latched on to. Gil's centre into the box simply needed a runner into the box to finish off.

Kozak and Gestede don't have that in them, but either definitely has a place on the bench. Gabby and Sinclair just don't have anything about them at all. As we get nearer to the end of the window the more desperate we become. I've chuckled at the thought of someone like Dwight Gayle before, but if Remi doesn't have a loan lined up, or someone from overseas like Santos, then we may as well go for Gayle. Maybe Palace will loan him out.

Not top quality, but he's direct, pacy, likes to have a shot and knows how to get himself into good positions. When Adama comes back, there could be an extra dimension to the level of service too. Worth a shot IMO. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I can understand us not spending daft money this window, but not to get Debuchy is a bit staggering. Not confirmed either way yet, but that is an obvious loan that needs doing and that isn't going to harm a promotion push next year.

Read somewhere that loans still cost a lot more than what we think. Like Illori costing us a million, read on a site or here that Dubuchy could still cost £1.5m in a loan fee. Don't know how accurate that is, but if true can see why in a cost cutting environment we would pull the plug. 

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I don't understand why people think our owner will give Garde the necessary funding to try to bring us straight back up. For 4 years we've been asking for more money to guarantee top flight football and he's failed to do that! 

If anything, I think there will be another clear out of all our sellable assets and they will be replaced on the cheap, ala this season. 

I can see manager walking if that happens in the summer

Duck, no offence but, why trust a single word these words removed say? I recall the sales of Barry, Milner and Young prompting fans concerns about our league placing, to which our non-executive director replied that we were aiming to finish top five the next season. Their aim for this season was to climb the league to try and get a place in Europe again, wasn't it? Unless a miracle of biblical proportions takes place, they will have dramatically failed with that target. 

Their aim next season might be for us to come straight back up but, with these clowns in charge, there's as much likelihood of starting the following season as a League One club. 

31 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Tomaspg you would rather spend money on Santos who has one season of top flight season of football in Holland, than promote from within. We invest in our academy and we should expect a return on it.

We are a club in trouble, we cannot attract top targets, we have made some poor financial decisions and have been flirting with relegation for years. I dont think there is spending quick fix that will save us. As with Leicester they found their group strength and went forward. 

People can lambast my view as much as you like but teams win games, we need the team to play well. There are two things I know for sure in football: teamwork will cut teams apart and people can surprise you. 

And how much return have we gotten from our academy recently? there is a slim chance of us still surviving, now is not the time to try and integrate youth players. And yes id rather spend money on Santos as i belive there is a much bigger chance of him succeeding, a good season in the Netherlands gives me much more confidence than a youth player that has started once. And if they actually had quality in the academy what reason could they possibly have for not utilising it before? Or perhaps Garde who has slowly started turning this shower of shit around knows that they are not good enough.

No one is saying we can attract top targets, but santos seems like a possibility. Leicester signed 8 players this summer, several of which are regular starters. The last couple of games has shown that we have a team that can play we are just lacking in the final third, a player like santos could give us a shot and if it doesnt work out he would still be valuable in the championship. you sound a bit like hollis in regards to spending.

This is a forum which function is to have discussions no? if you put your point of view forward you have to accept that people will challenge it if they dont agree. The team has been playing well over the last couple of games, but as everyone so obviously can see we are lacking goals, personally i rather look for someone with a higher chance of success than a 17 year old from the academy who could surprise us.

Edited by tomaspg

So QPR got 64 mill for finishing bottom last year - if we get that this year then £40 mill parachute payment the following year, we're not talking about a huge loss in income compared to what we were earning (not compared to how much better off prem teams will be next season) - with wage reductions as per what Fox said, money in from player sales - then surely we're looking pretty healthy for some new additions to the squad, according to Remi's vision and a promotion push. Got to be what is keeping Remi in the job.