The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Coming from Balsall Heath (then moving to Leamington),  I’d never dream of voting Tory. I reckon that’s more to do with political class than religion. A lot of Uber religious Muslims don’t even vote. They don’t believe in the system. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Please do. That's why I phrased it as I did. My suggestion was based on anecdotal experience, having worked in Bradford for 28 years. 

OK, I’ll do a short version, as a fair bit of it has been covered since I posted, but some things:  albeit from a different part of t’north, my experience is not that

I had the impression that for some years now the British Muslim community has tended to support the Tories - possibly due to the perception that they were the party that supported small businesses, and entrepreneurialism generally. 

It’s that there isn’t a single Muslim community, for a start and I don’t think that it can therefore follow that “they” vote for the Tories. Secondly, as @chrisp65 said, people tend to vote based on their circumstances and, take say the area round PNE’s ground, which is home to many Muslim people and where a pretty devout Muslim friend lives. Massive Labour area, and it’s also quite deprived in many senses. Lots of small businesses selling cloth or food or whatever. But my pal gives, every year, a percentage of his income to good local causes, because he says his religion requires that. The whole outlook, while distinct, is way away from Tory values, particularly the recent, or last 40 odd years since the witch.

The Muslim people that I know, and it’s not a massive sample I accept, and they all have decent jobs and incomes, but they’re quite different to each other. Some are quite religious, a few are not. They’re all kind people, or all but one who is a lazy, entitled bellend.

So in essence, what you posted is just the complete opposite of my (limited) experience and understanding of people I know and worked with or met around the North West, mainly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Govester under Parliamentary investigation after failing to register football hospitality to a tory donor who ended up getting a PPE contract during covid.

Please be another by-election.

Not a chance of that, slap on the wrists for failure to declare is all that will amount to

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hilarious if true (rather sceptical myself)

As you know, I’m not a Tory, but it would be a smart move, tactically.  It’s a thing people know Labour is proposing, the non dom hit, so it spikes that gun, and it provides cover for tax cuts. I reckon it’s quite likely.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

As you know, I’m not a Tory, but it would be a smart move, tactically.  It’s a thing people know Labour is proposing, the non dom hit, so it spikes that gun, and it provides cover for tax cuts. I reckon it’s quite likely.

and that's the reason Labour will wait as long as possible before announcing anything despite all the hyperbole from certain people that they're not offering anything.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Smart move - in terms of the electorate, yes, probably but still too late AND Labour have telegraphed this move for not even months but years so won't be as effective as they imagine. They will undoubtedly get "stealing Labour Policy" thrown right back at them

Dumb move - in terms of their donors and media support, it could even see money flowing to Reform. Also would definitely amplify the internal civil war in the party. Lord Ashcroft, Stuart Marks and all the other Tory Non-Dom Lords can hardly be ecstatic at the move

Smart move, he's no intention of doing it and he knows he won't be in government long enough to have to action it, but he knows it's what people want to hear and it'll put a bit of pressure on the incoming Labour government to 'follow his lead'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

and that's the reason Labour will wait as long as possible before announcing anything despite all the hyperbole from certain people that they're not offering anything.

I’ve not seen many people saying Labour aren’t offering anything.

Seen plenty suggesting what they are offering is torylite.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve not seen many people saying Labour aren’t offering anything.

Seen plenty suggesting what they are offering is torylite.

Nah there have been plenty of I don’t know what Labour’s policies are posts here

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nah there have been plenty of I don’t know what Labour’s policies are posts here

Ah that’s simple to answer, just look at Starmer’s pledges website.

Actually, no, no that wouldn’t help would it.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Smart move, he's no intention of doing it and he knows he won't be in government long enough to have to action it, but he knows it's what people want to hear and it'll put a bit of pressure on the incoming Labour government to 'follow his lead'.

They won’t be following his lead. It’s been a Labour policy for a long time. He’s following them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah that’s simple to answer, just look at Starmer’s pledges website.

Actually, no, no that wouldn’t help would it.

Not sure of the relevance, seriously Starmer’s pledges aimed at Labour Party members over 4 years ago can’t possibly be relevant to anything today. Different audience, different circumstances

3 minutes ago, meregreen said:

They won’t be following his lead. It’s been a Labour policy for a long time. He’s following them.

Well not quite, Labour wouldn’t be funding tax cuts with it.

And neither does the public want them to. I think there was some research out in the last week or so that said the public would prefer to pay tax and get services not tax cuts

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, meregreen said:

That's why it's in the quotation marks - he'd be able to make himself the person associated with the (very popular) policy, so he'd be able to challenge Labour to 'follow his lead' (even though he'd have no intention of really doing it). He's setting the Labour government up to be seen as not willing to fight tax dodging billionaires in the same way he would, whilst knowing that any party that actually put this into operation would upset the donor, corporate and media class to the extent they'd be signing their own political suicide note.

Â