The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

28 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Where's all the money go?

In terms of "what is using up more tax money than it used to", interest payable on Government debt has doubled in the last fifteen years. The amount that it's increased by is more than the entire defence budget. Health is the other big one, hoovering up around £210bn per year now, compared to £140bn or so per year fifteen years ago.

34 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I still don't understand how the country can be so broke when the people are literally taxed on everything. Income, NI, Council, VAT, Fuel, Alcohol, Tobacco, Road, Sugar, Gambling, Inheritance, Insurance, Stamp Duty, Excise Duty, Capital Gains, Dividends, Corporations, Rates. The list seems endless. Where's all the money go?

I'll post here something I wrote a while ago on another site where I also pondered this question, though I think the answer has already been given above:

Then there is fiscal responsibility. The way I see it, take the mid 80's as my point of reference:

The UK was still paying war debt.
We had a huge Army. We had battalions and enormous resources in Germany.
We had a huge Navy and Airforce, easily double, probably treble what they are now in terms of both manpower and equipment.
We had nationally owned railways which we were told were sucking away huge amounts of money from the public purse.
Power generation was owned by the nation and we were told it was sucking away huge amounts of money from the public purse.
You could easily get a doctors appointment. I would often phone my doctors, have the phone answered pretty much immediately and get an appointment that day.
I could get an NHS Dentist appointment.
I could go on. School meals, free milk, council housing.

War debt is gone.
Our armed forces are now a fraction of what they were.
Railways and Utilities are sold off and no longer a drain on the public purse.
The NHS has had effective funding cuts year on year on year. I can't get an NHS Dentist, I can't get a doctors appointment, I can't even get through to my doctors on the phone. My Doctors surgery has merged with 6 or 7 other surgeries into one super centre which should cost half the price to run compared to the previous 7.

So where has all the money gone? All these cuts on cuts on cuts. Endless savings. Why isn't my tax half what it was?

I seem to be getting a very raw deal and whilst these cuts have unquestionably been made I don't see any way there are benefiting me. I repeat where has all the money gone?

Somebody somewhere is creaming it off.

Some of this has happened under Labour but nearly all of it has been under The Tories so no, don't see them as the party of fiscal responsibility even before the shit show of the last 2 years, and these issues were also there before Covid.

Where is the money?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Surprising lack of discussion of them pursuing legislation that allows for spying on your bank account in the name of 'combatting benefit fraud'. Passed by the Commons with barely a whimper of dissension, Labour abstained of course, now relying on the Lord's to say this proposed legislation is bullshit.

Just slightly too late for the hundred of millions they gave to Tory VIP’s. 

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

In terms of "what is using up more tax money than it used to", interest payable on Government debt has doubled in the last fifteen years. The amount that it's increased by is more than the entire defence budget. Health is the other big one, hoovering up around £210bn per year now, compared to £140bn or so per year fifteen years ago.

Is that adjusted for inflation? I just wonder how £140b then compares to £210b now.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just slightly too late for the hundred of millions they gave to Tory VIP’s. 

No they made it so it's only for the poor benefit claimants, just the third of the population, including pensioners.

Utter despicable, but here we are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is that adjusted for inflation? I just wonder how £140b then compares to £210b now.

No, that's in real terms. Percentage of GDP is the best indicator of whether spending on something is going up or down. Health is 18.3% compared to 16% back then. Debt interest is now 8.4% versus 4.5%.

Link if you're interested

What does the government spend money on?

Edited by ml1dch
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Watching the COVID inquiry footage, Johnson has forgot an awful lot in the last few years.

He's lying and he hates being questioned. I'd love it if the mask slipped live on TV.

long non-existent COVID can have that effect on people

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Watching the COVID inquiry footage, Johnson has forgot an awful lot in the last few years.

He's lying and he hates being questioned. I'd love it if the mask slipped live on TV.

Has he stated he got the big calls right yet? 

Disclaimer:

Doesn’t include protecting care homes

Doesn’t include delaying lockdowns so they ended up being longer and killing more people

Doesn’t include ignoring expert advice to keep schools closed after the Christmas break, then closing them after 1 day.

Doesn’t include lying to the public and the HoC

Doesn’t include breaking all the rules he set

Doesn’t include the parties in Downing Street

Doesn’t include spending billions of pounds on products that didn’t materialise, or were too poor to be used.

Doesn’t include not going to crucial COBRA meetings at the start of the pandemic

Doesn’t include bad advice about the benefits of face masks (because he knew they didn’t have enough to give to NHS staff).

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile Braverman in her 'I've been sacked' speech was calling for concentration camps so all is well on good old Blighty.

The very recently former home secretary. Big on conversation camps. The word removed.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The very recently former home secretary. Big on conversation camps. The word removed.

At least the new one knows when he's doing something he shouldn't. Even if he then does it anyway.

Edited by ml1dch

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Meanwhile Braverman in her 'I've been sacked' speech was calling for concentration camps so all is well on good old Blighty.

In her defence, we did invent concentration camps. You can’t get more British than something we did to the boars. If it was good enough for the empire, it’ll do for now.

Â