The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Isn’t this a misapprehension? He’s playing games. He’s apparently handed over, or said he’ll hand over, ones from his new phone, but his old phone, on the other hand…no, siree Bob. No, you see, um, I can’t turn it on, because dangerous.

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

...and then if I'm told it's safe to turn it on, I'll go through and provide the messages that I think are relevant. 

Agree with both of those. It doesn’t alter my point though. It’s all about Johnson vs Sunak and it isn’t about privacy (nor does it affect it) nor is it a defence of the government being allowed to have secret conversations (the people suggesting this need to give their heads a wobble).

Sunak doesn’t much care for what Johnson's say as there will undoubtedly be some incriminating stuff in there but he does care about what his say because they will show he isn’t the person a lot think he is, the chancellor who gave us furlough etc and saved the country. They'll show he was against it but had to do it because he was forced to

He’s put a lot of political mileage in the furlough scheme and it'll show he didn’t want to despite his subsequent claims.

Cleaning up the mess of what went on under the previous regime(s) continues

WASHINGTON: Rishi Sunak and Joe Biden sought to reset the UK-US special relationship with a partnership that will embrace the US President’s eonomic vision and see the West closing ranks against hostile countries.

link1

and closer to home

Britain can reverse Brexit and rejoin the EU any time it likes Michel Barnier has said.

The former Brexit negotiator said the UK knew "exactly" what the conditions for rejoining the bloc were and that “the door is open”.

But speaking to ITV's Peston programme Mr Barnier blasted Boris Johnson's handling of talks with Brussels – accusing him of disrespecting his own signature on the deal he signed.

link2

The Boris years really will go down in history as a truly dark era for the country.

It’ll take decades to fully reverse the impact of that useless prick. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Cleaning up the mess of what went on under the previous regime(s) continues

link1

and closer to home

link2

The Boris years really will go down in history as a truly dark era for the country.

It’ll take decades to fully reverse the impact of that useless prick. 

Highly predictable from the very start and our electorate still voted him in

The most depressing part of it all, voters incompetence. 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Highly predictable from the very start and our electorate still voted him in

The most depressing part of it all, voters incompetence. 

40% of them did. 60% voted for other parties and the system we have still have him an 80 seat majority.

It's the system we're using, not the electorate.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

40% of them did. 60% voted for other parties and the system we have still have him an 80 seat majority.

It's the system we're using, not the electorate.

There are issues with the system but he was still the most popular political leader with the voters. 

I would like to see an elected head of state that could be more political,  The Queen/King system is another hindrance to accountability although it would be another chance for our voters to show their recklessness. 

32 minutes ago, tinker said:

There are issues with the system but he was still the most popular political leader with the voters. 

That’s not saying much. And even then people don’t necessarily vote for leaders (in their minds).  Obviously, technically they don’t at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s not saying much. And even then people don’t necessarily vote for leaders (in their minds).  Obviously, technically they don’t at all.

I think a huge amount, probably majority of people vote for the leader. 

Not only was it let’s give Boris and his whacky ideas a go, it was also “anyone but Corbyn”.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think a huge amount, probably majority of people vote for the leader. 

Not only was it let’s give Boris and his whacky ideas a go, it was also “anyone but Corbyn”.

That would be true for 2019 certainly but I'm not sure it's true for every election, the effect of the leader will vary on the circumstances, it'll be a more prominent decision in one election than another

In 2019, you had essentially two cartoon characters as leaders and the election was very much Blur vs Oasis or The Beatles vs The Stones

Next time, I don't think the leadership will be as high a factor, we aren't dealing with cartoon characters, we're dealing with wallpaper salesmen. It's hard to like either of them but on the other hand its hard to see them as hate figures either. (though that won't stop the media trying)

My opinion has been for sometime that the electoral switch has been flicked with the Tories, they will lose, it would take some sort of electoral miracle for them to win. The anyone but the Tories feeling will be the overarching decision making factor in the way the country votes at the next GE, essentially the leaders don't really matter right now, huge numbers of people will be voting Not Tory because the country really does feel the need to give the Conservative Party an absolute shoeing (and quite rightly so)

• Like 2

Oh, how did this get overlooked?

Woking council declares bankruptcy with £1.2bn deficit
Previous Tory leadership embarked on risky investment spree involving hotels and skyscrapers

Guardian

That's the biggest financial failure in local government history.

Where is it in the news? If that had been say Liverpool or Manchester... I think we all know where that would have been in the media

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh, how did this get overlooked?

Guardian

That's the biggest financial failure in local government history.

Where is it in the news? If that had been say Liverpool or Manchester... I think we all know where that would have been in the media

Am I right in thinking it was in the "news"—the Daily Mail or something—a few weeks back, but they blamed it on the Lib Dems, who replaced the people who actually did it. It might have been something else. EDIT: I just had a search and it was written about, but if the headline was as I say, it seems to have been changed.

Edited by Rolta

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Am I right in thinking it was in the "news"—the Daily Mail or something—a few weeks back, but they blamed it on the Lib Dems, who replaced the people who actually did it. It might have been something else.

Yes, It was slightly in the news when the Govt had to send in the commissioners.

That debt is 100 times larger than its annual budget. 100 times larger....

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Boris, believe it or not, has alot of supporters. There's parallels with Trump and Boris, that despite all the scandal people still back,  "their man" to sort stuff out. They will not admit they have backed the wrong man or the wrong side (brexit) 

Just now, tinker said:

Boris, believe it or not, has alot of supporters. There's parallels with Trump and Boris, that despite all the scandal people still back,  "their man" to sort stuff out. They will not admit they have backed the wrong man or the wrong side (brexit) 

I mentioned this a while back, the parallels between Trump and Boris having strong support despite their actual performances.

Why is it?

With Boris his time came to an end because of the relentless stories about his conduct that the MP’s were sent out to speak to the media and try to defend. Why on earth would they want more of that?

Is it because they are so openly corrupt those close to them can get their heads in the trough too?

Â