The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Uh oh…

There are no penalties for "innocent" tax errors, the boss of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has told MPs. 

Appearing before a Commons committee, Jim Harra was pressed on issues around the tax affairs of Nadhim Zahawi. 

The Conservative Party chairman is facing calls to resign, after it emerged he paid a penalty to HMRC.

Mr Harra stressed he could not comment on individual cases but said penalties were not applied when someone had taken "reasonable care". 

I hope NZ has that sinking feeling.

He shouldn’t have the option to resign though. He should be sacked.

link

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

How come?

Because it was not fraud, in HMRC's view, but negligence (which HMRC call "Carelessness"). Though I get the actual sentiment that the likes of us might rather think it was deliberate and therefore fraud.

• Thanks 1

I wonder how many people who have been prosecuted for tax errors will now go back and say they just made an innocent error. Certainly there are going to be loads more stating this in future. 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder how many people who have been prosecuted for tax errors will now go back and say they just made an innocent error. Certainly there are going to be loads more stating this in future. 

Exactly, and the fact he has a convoluted arrangement of offshore accounts, and sub accounts suggests he was trying his hardest to conceal his money for the purposes of not paying tax on it. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, blandy said:

Because it was not fraud, in HMRC's view, but negligence (which HMRC call "Carelessness"). Though I get the actual sentiment that the likes of us might rather think it was deliberate and therefore fraud.

The powers that be are going to tie themselves up in knots over this I predict. On one hand it is “carelessness” but at t th e same time HMRC have said they don’t issue penalties for “innocent” tax errors.

So it’s not innocent then in the eyes of HMRC. What’s the opposite of innocent. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

The powers that be are going to tie themselves up in knots over this I predict. On one hand it is “carelessness” but at t th e same time HMRC have said they don’t issue penalties for “innocent” tax errors.

So it’s not innocent then in the eyes of HMRC. What’s the opposite of innocent. 

HMRC impose fines, under the law, for “careless” submissions. The threshold for “fraudulent” would seem not to have been met. Whether the (then) chancellor of the Exchequer, being their ultimate boss, but also being the subject of their investigation influenced that judgement which they made, is beyond my abilities to know.

• Like 1

It's only the rich that can fully use the British Justice system and this appears to extend to the HMRC as well.

Is there no corner of our country that these self serving politicians haven't corrupted. Only Putin puts these lot in the shade. 

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

HMRC impose fines, under the law, for “careless” submissions. The threshold for “fraudulent” would seem not to have been met. Whether the (then) chancellor of the Exchequer, being their ultimate boss, but also being the subject of their investigation influenced that judgement which they made, is beyond my abilities to know.

It’s an intriguing choice of words by suggesting it wasn’t an innocent error. He could have worded it in many different ways but went with a legal term.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s an intriguing choice of words by suggesting it wasn’t an innocent error. He could have worded it in many different ways but went with a legal term.

He knew exactly what he was saying and the impact it would have.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lester Piggott avoided paying tax on £3.2million & went to jail for 3 years.

Nadhim Zahawi tried to avoid paying £3.7million in tax. 

John Carew also jailed for unintentionally failing to disclose income and assets abroad to Norwegian authorities.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Lester Piggott avoided paying tax on £3.2million & went to jail for 3 years.

Nadhim Zahawi tried to avoid paying £3.7million in tax. 

No. Lester Piggott deliberately evaded tax (both income and VAT) by fraudulently using fake names to hide his money. Zahawi has entered into a set of contrived steps to avoid tax. HMRC disagreed with the treatment of what he did, and he's had to cough up. Zahawi almost certainly declared everything on his tax returns. That wasn't the case with Piggott at all, who went out of his way to lie to his own accountants.

Â