The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pent up demand to travel is huge. Some of my clients work closely with airports, travel agents, etc and they're rushed off their feet.

But then the airports are ****, fights cancelled all over the shop. Delayed flights costing them millions. The debts of the 2 covid years now rampant inflation and strike threats. 

The industry barely made any money at the best of times.

I'm surprised that you can get 7/2 on the Tories retaining Honition and Tiverton in tonight's by election. Lib Dems are 1/4 on. If the Lib Dems over turn a record 24k majority that would be unreal. 

You can get 40/1 on the Tories holding onto Wakefield with Labour 1/200. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Lib Dems are 1/4 on. If the Lib Dems over turn a record 24k majority that would be unreal. 

It actually wouldn't. They've already done it this parliament, North Shropshire

They overturned a 23k majority where they were third placed a further 7k behind. The parallels are uncanny but this is arguably easier as the last election was 36k / 12k / 9k (Con / Lab/ Lib - rough figures). North Shropshire was 36k / 12k / 6k and the Libs had absolutely no history of coming anwhere near in that seat, here they absolutely do, they were a firm second until the LibDems committed suicide in the coalition

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

It actually wouldn't. They've already done it this parliament, North Shropshire

You sure on this? I am sure I have read on numerous occasions that in terms of numbers, just over 24k majority, it would be the biggest margin overturned in a by election although there have been bigger swings in percentage terms.

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You sure on this? I am sure I have read on numerous occasions that in terms of numbers, just over 24k majority, it would be the biggest margin overturned in a by election although there have been bigger swings in percentage terms.

It possibly will be the biggest but only by a couple of hundred on North Shropshire and like I said the LibDems were in third place both times and were further back in North Shropshire than they are here by 3k votes

The swing for Tory to LibDem in North Shropshire was 30k, they don’t need to achieve that here to win

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm surprised that you can get 7/2 on the Tories retaining Honition and Tiverton in tonight's by election. Lib Dems are 1/4 on. If the Lib Dems over turn a record 24k majority that would be unreal. 

You have people like Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall saying on Twitter that he's a staunch Green voter but will be voting LibDem in order to oust the Tories, and yet many are giving him grief for "abandoning principles".

People just don't understand that it's a game of chess to gradually get to where you want, rather than a direct sprint. I'm surprised the Greens didn't stand down to avoid splitting the vote.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Hope you put money on :lol: What magnificent results, the Tories are ****.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Cheerio, you little prick.

The handwritten date suggests it was probably written in advance, and with the knowledge they were going to get smashed in both.

I really don't know why he's bothered, it won't make any difference to Johnson, the Tories or him personally.

Expect a knighthood at some point because it's most likely an attempt to deflect attention from Johnson. even if it is genuine, it's too late, the writing has been on the wall for ages and they had an opportunity to get rid of him which the party as a whole passed up

• Like 1

On 06/06/2022 at 08:26, djdabush said:

It sounds like he will win the vote and there's no way he'll resign. Expect a hammering in these upcoming by-elections and a lot of tory mps feeling worried about their future.

Call me Nostradamus. Wonder how many MPs are regretting their decision in that no confidence vote. I'm guessing we will see the 1922 rulebook getting torn up in the very near future.

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I really don't know why he's bothered, it won't make any difference to Johnson, the Tories or him personally.

I don't really get the takes of "he's resigning and this undermines Johnson" and the talk of "take responsibility" is aimed at him.

He's clearly been told "when we lose those by-elections, you are taking the blame and I expect your resignation letter published before the sun is up".

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Expect a knighthood at some point because it's most likely an attempt to deflect attention from Johnson. even if it is genuine, it's too late, the writing has been on the wall for ages and they had an opportunity to get rid of him which the party as a whole passed up

Strangely I took it the other way. The 'somebody needs to take responsibility' read as 'well, the useless, wavey haired cock socket who leads the party won't take responsibility, so I will'. Maybe I'm being too generous.

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't really get the takes of "he's resigning and this undermines Johnson" and the talk of "take responsibility" is aimed at him.

He's clearly been told "when we lose those by-elections, you are taking the blame and I expect your resignation letter published before the sun is up".

Exactly, it wasn't Oliver Dowden that lost those two byelections

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure it's an effort to deflect from Boris. The 'we cannot carry on with business as usual. Somebody must take responsibility' reads as a bit of a dig to me. Think it more likely he's trying to position himself away from Johnson ahead of him getting removed.

• Like 1

Â