The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not without massively uncompetitive terms.

Do those countries still get by well enough that they might believe being outside the EU but still trading with the EU, is a price worth paying?

EDIT - I think we have strayed off the topic of this thread! Happy to continue in the EU thread.:)

Edited by brommy

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ok everything is fine then,  nothing to worry about rather like Borris said yesterday. 

Eh? Some things are fine. Some are not. Time heals some things and breaks others. Time and humanity will continue regardless of any political party or trade group.

20 minutes ago, brommy said:

Do those countries still get by well enough that they might believe being outside the EU but still trading with the EU, is a price worth paying?

EDIT - I think we have strayed off the topic of this thread! Happy to continue in the EU thread.:)

15 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The UK buy 95 Billion Euro's worth of German goods a year,  France 35 Billion.  They wont kiss this goodbye and they would be mad to consider it.

Dat is heel veel geld toch ? Ik ben betje bang voor de toekomst maar wie zullen zien.  

Aaaaaggghhh.  They don't LOSE our trade,  their goods just become a little more expensive to us.  A lot of German stuff is (incorrectly because of good branding) seen as premium. 10% on an audi or Beemer will reduce sales but not kill them because people are willing to pay a premium already. Also there is a MASSIVE amount of production machinery the UK manufacturing industry relies on which can ONLY be bought in Germany which will now cost our companies more to buy service and maintain reducing our competivity. 

Also what we make here,  and regardless of what the press leave you to think we still do make an awful lot of stuff here relies on a global (and very European) supply chain so we have to buy massive amounts of raw materials and components as disadvantaged   prices and then try to sell the end product at massively disadvantaged prices which is a disaster

Who gains the most if our manufacturing base declines? 

And don't listen to Bamford at JCB they are one of the few large British manufacturerers who sell the majority of their machinery outside of the UK or EU. 

People are WELL over playing the they need us more than we need them card. The truth is we need them FAR more than they need us and unless we are utter maniacs (Farage style) we blimmin well better blink first or we are on the road to OBLIVION

BROMMY I am not going to continue to argue with you as we are obviously on different sides of the spectrum on this. You will not convince me and I will not convince you.  I don't know where your convictions come from but mine are from my job working with many manufacturers all buying and making and selling and servicing throughout the world. . All in know is outside of the FTSE 250 which is where the vast majority of real people trade and work and get paid the overwhelming majority of wages in this country are generated from the EU. They buy and sell goods services machines raw materials and components and I honestly don't believe the average man in the street has any idea what this means. 

Also the number of our industries (mainly but not exclusively farming ) which rely. On foreign Labour which in NOT and I don't apologize for shouting going to be replaced by British employees will surprise a lot of people. 

It'll all come out in the wash.;)  Besides, there's a possibility that Article 50 won't be submitted by the UK Parliament. Perhaps the next Conservative leader will put the will of Parliament above the will of the electorate.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

If it's best of 3 I will happily take that. One won by out one the basis of opinion of what we MAY get. One won by in on what we WILL get. What will the third fourth or tenth change?  I am flabbergasted that people are STILL suckered by the utopia on no basis which was sold to us even after Boris has run away and the shadow cabinet who know what the future holds have abandoned their leader for failing to avert the apocalypse of the nation.

I don't think Boris has run away , I suspect he was lobbying the other MP's and worked out quite quickly that he couldn't win  .... same way Heseltine toppled Thatcher but paid for the act in itself by not winning the leadership race 

Boris is coping the flak about making moves for political ambition .... meanwhile how many times did you see May during the campaign  .... she just quietly sat out the way , she's not damaged by any of this  , inside the party or with the public  ...

oh and apocalypse of nation ... what utter tripe   

7 hours ago, brommy said:

It'll all come out in the wash.;)  Besides, there's a possibility that Article 50 won't be submitted by the UK Parliament. Perhaps the next Conservative leader will put the will of Parliament above the will of the electorate.

it will be the end of Parliament as we know it if they do

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it will be the end of Parliament as we know it if they do

Will Parliament's submission of Article 50 be a 'free vote' or a three line whip?

As of 22nd June, only 158 of the 650 MPs had declared a Leave preference. Those 158 (assuming none has moved to Remain) need a lot of support from the 479 MPs who have declared a Remain preference, especially as many MPs may see the decision as a vote of conscience.

Credit where it's due - George has abandoned the idealistic nonsense that was 'budget surplus' by 2020. 

Stupid in the first place, but I worried they were going to try and stick with it and just blame the vote for further cuts. 

They still won't invest anywhere near what will be required, but it's a start. 

• Like 1

In other news, the Beeb reporting:

Osborne 'to abandon 2020 budget surplus target'

Chancellor George Osborne has abandoned his target to restore government finances to a surplus by 2020, the BBC has learned.

It had been the chancellor's most prized goal and had been driving austerity measures in previous budgets.

However, the Chancellor said the UK must be "realistic about achieving a surplus by the end of the decade".

The UK economy is showing "clear signs" of shock in the aftermath of the vote to leave the European Union, he said.

Even before that vote, there were questions over whether Mr Osborne would be able to balance the budget by 2020.

If so, do we now assume that Cameron thinks this is the right approach (he didn't on Wednesday)?

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

In other news, the Beeb reporting:

If so, do we now assume that Cameron thinks this is the right approach (he didn't on Wednesday)?

No t really important now Camerons quit

46 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I do hope that people remind Mr Gove on a daily basis that he doesn't have the character to be PM (according to a cabinet minister).

A cabinet minister also once said that Michael Gove isn't equipped to be PM.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

ahh yes, the tory intellectual heavyweight Michael Gove, the man who simply could not see why all schools couldn't be above average.

It's hilarious, really. A lot of politicians are accused of being stupid, but Gove is basically on the record as being a massive **** moron. 

We're going to end up with Theresa **** May as PM, just because she can tie her shoes, when she's a woman who could justifiably be assassinated for coming within a mile of the leadership role

Â