Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

With the increase in money next year I can't see that happening mantis. I think it will be a very very long time before we finish in the top half of the premier league again.

To be fair, it'll be a very very long time before we finish in the top half even if we stay up this season and the next.

I think people exaggerate the TV money a little bit anyway.

A lot of football is about momentum though, easy example but this time last year Leicester were losing every week and Vardy was scoring his 3 goals a season.

You see clubs go down and bottom out, Southampton would be the best example of that in recent years I think.

I don't want to go down, I'd prefer to improve in the premier league as their is risk involved in being relegated but we just sadly look like a club that's tired of life in this league.

Above anything else we've got to sell the club. Lerner can't be demanding what he wants now with championship income streams coming in so I'm hopeful the asking price will be dropped significantly and surely someone capable could take us on with the potential we'd have here, get it right and they'd be massive heroes. It would add to a bit more feelgood once reality hits home when it starts again in August and Rotherham and Gillingham are turning up

Just now, Mantis said:

To be fair, it'll be a very very long time before we finish in the top half even if we stay up this season and the next.

I think people exaggerate the TV money a little bit anyway.

There's no exaggeration. It's a fact that premier league teams will be getting massive amounts of money next season.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

There's no exaggeration. It's a fact that premier league teams will be getting massive amounts of money next season.

And so will we if we come back up. It only becomes a massive problem if we don't bounce straight back up in 1, 2 seasons max.

Just now, DCJonah said:

They'll keep on buying more rubbish hence continual failures in europe which creates managerial instability and decline.

In any case there's a difference between finishing 6th and 10th. Watford are 11th tonight for example, how long have they been out of this league? Yet based on performances so far they deserve to be in that area.

Who knows where we'll be in 5-6 years time, we could be league 1, we could be fighting for top 6 in the premier league again.

I think a textbook example of how to do things would be West Ham actually.

They were in a similar state to us now when they went down in 2011 but as soon as they went they appointed a proven manager in Allardyce, he got them up (just), established them for a few seasons and now they've moved on and appointed a better manager in Bilic and have built up a reasonably good squad.

Can't say I'd be confident of Garde getting us back up. The championship is a completely different kettle of fish and foreign managers don't tend to do too well there. Would rather we appointed someone who knows that league. Someone like Steve Clarke springs to mind, I thought he did well most part at WBA, now doing fine at Reading and rejected the Fulham job the other day.

I suppose one interesting thing being done there would mean some of this forum would stop turning their noses up at some managers because they don't like their style of play. In the championship we'd have no grounds to be fussy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

How long till a bookie looking for the publicity pays out on us going down? 

Lose the next two and someone might. 

Before Xmas.

Shit.

we were only 5/2 before today, bookies dont seem to think we are gone yet or would have us about 10s or 12s

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Even if we come back up that's still a year where we've fallen behind, especially to the top half teams. If it takes 2 or 3 then its even bigger and I could well see us becoming a yo to team for a long time because of it.

A year isn't going to make a massive amount of difference.

Of course, if we're out for a while then yes I could see that happening as well.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think a textbook example of how to do things would be West Ham actually.

They were in a similar state to us now when they went down in 2011 but as soon as they went they appointed a proven manager in Allardyce, he got them up (just), established them for a few seasons and now they've moved on and appointed a better manager in Bilic and have built up a reasonably good squad.

Can't say I'd be confident of Garde getting us back up. The championship is a completely different kettle of fish and foreign managers don't tend to do too well there. Would rather we appointed someone who knows that league. Someone like Steve Clarke springs to mind, I thought he did well most part at WBA, now doing fine at Reading and rejected the Fulham job the other day.

I suppose one interesting thing being done there would mean some of this forum would stop turning their noses up at some managers because they don't like their style of play. In the championship we'd have no grounds to be fussy. 

Bit too early to be writing off Garde just because "foreign managers don't tend to do well in that league". I mean, there are plenty of British managers who struggle down there as well.

Yes but the championship is odd. I look at the table and see SHA in 6th, they've won once in 6 games, hardly win at home and yet no one can knock them out of the play offs.

I look at recent examples aswell, Solsjkaer and Magath took over in similar circumstances to Remi, couldn't keep Cardiff or Fulham up respectively despite winning a few games here and there and both didn't last long in the championship, Klopp's mate Wagner has started with two defeats at Huddersfield.

I just think it's a league where you need a manager who knows it inside out even if it is someone like Steve Bruce.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes but the championship is odd. I look at the table and see SHA in 6th, they've won once in 6 games, hardly win at home and yet no one can knock them out of the play offs.

I look at recent examples aswell, Solsjkaer and Magath took over in similar circumstances to Remi, couldn't keep Cardiff or Fulham up respectively despite winning a few games here and there and both didn't last long in the championship, Klopp's mate Wagner has started with two defeats at Huddersfield.

I just think it's a league where you need a manager who knows it inside out even if it is someone like Steve Bruce.

Completely irrelevant. The only thing they all have in common is they're foreign and contrary to what some people think that really isn't that big of a deal in football.

Â