flying with a toddler

tsimutv

Im flying with a nearly two year old in september. I managed to get a late flight so im hoping he will be asleep. Its a two and a bit hour flight so not too bad.

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Not sure I've got any advice, but I've done it (many years ago!)

We took our nearly-two year old daughter to the USA. Going over we struck lucky in that the seat next to us was spare, so she was able to have a kip on that.

Coming back we weren't so lucky, and she sat on my lap the whole way. She slept, I didn't. Driving back to Leeds from Gatwick with jetlag was great fun. Not.

Colouring books, reading books, stickers, if they will watch TV something on the iPad? Basically as many things to keep them distracted as possible.

One top tip is don't forget the ears popping on the way down get some sweets, haribo or something and try and preempt it by getting them chewing and swallowing before you start descending.

We did a flight with a similar age child about a year ago way out was perfect until her ears starting popping and she started crying quite a bit. One the way back we got ahead of it and she was perfect for the whole flight. Was only to Spain so a couple hour flight but was nowhere near as bad as I feared.

Just try to pacify the child and don't just let them scream the plane down (not saying you would of course!), nothing worse than seeing a parent let their child cry on a plane as it is quite frustrating for other passengers. 

Don't do what a couple did when I was on a flight a couple of years back. They decided to abandon the toddler next to me, a row away and across the aisle, with an iPad blaring out Postman Pat, completely ignoring the kid while he proceeded to have a tantrum, kick me numerous times, cry the entire plane down and generally piss off everyone bar them in the entire flight.

Don't do what a couple did when I was on a flight a couple of years back. They decided to abandon the toddler next to me, a row away and across the aisle, with an iPad blaring out Postman Pat, completely ignoring the kid while he proceeded to have a tantrum, kick me numerous times, cry the entire plane down and generally piss off everyone bar them in the entire flight.

I find Dead legs usually do the trick, Failing that, a good old Chinese burn never fails! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When daughter was young, we spent a fair few months putting together a travel pack, essentially hand luggage of stuff to keep her happy for the length of the flight, we handed that over as soon as we took off, it was a surprise for her and usually kept her quiet for the flight. Similar thing with the wife but its called bacardi.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Plan activities & favourite snacks for distraction as well.

Give activities 1 by 1 so you don't run out 3/4 way through the flight.

Sweets for popping ears.

Take Calpol just in case - it has the added benefit of making them drowsy.

Take your kid down to the area where the trolly dollies hang out  , they all go goo goo over the baby and you get to chat them up and stare at their cleavage  .... flight goes by in no time at all

• Like 2

Â