U21 European Championship

mikeyp102

because they arent. ITs ok blaming the manager all the time but if you keep blaming him then its time to look at the talent of the players. People like Wilshire, Sterling didnt bother turning up also and thats not 1st time has happened at Under 21 level

as I said watching Portugal tonight who were if honest not even that bothered and England on sunday was a huge gulf in the ability

Why aren't they? Is it training methods, wealth, psychology, foreign players. I'm not exclusively on about the U21 team.

Dyke had all these big plans and English football is as average as ever.

IN fairness to Dyke his plans are not really going to have an effect on players playing at the moment it will be for young players coming through but its been said before that English football and this also affects Ireland is being damaged from a young age.

The Premier League is about huff and puff players and not skill (which in fairness is slowly changing) e.g Lee Cattermole wouldnt get a game in the top 4 divisions of Spain yet I saw some English media calling for an England call-up last season.

How many top class skillful technical players have England produced since maybe 1995 as 20 years as a fair example. Scholes, Beckham, Rooney, Ashley Cole, Rio and arguably Joe Cole. Compare that to other teams in same international bracket like France, Spain or even Netherlands

The defence  looked poor all tournament. Why Southgate went 4-4-2 when a draw would have been sufficient I don't know. Having said that too many players  just wern't good enough at that level. Did Redmond have one good game all tournament. Loftus- Cheek looked good last match when he came on but Southgate didn't pick him and I think he could have picked the likes of Sterling, Ibe, and Wilshere but decided to stick with the players that got them there. 

Edited by PaulC

IN fairness to Dyke his plans are not really going to have an effect on players playing at the moment it will be for young players coming through but its been said before that English football and this also affects Ireland is being damaged from a young age.

The Premier League is about huff and puff players and not skill (which in fairness is slowly changing) e.g Lee Cattermole wouldnt get a game in the top 4 divisions of Spain yet I saw some English media calling for an England call-up last season.

How many top class skillful technical players have England produced since maybe 1995 as 20 years as a fair example. Scholes, Beckham, Rooney, Ashley Cole, Rio and arguably Joe Cole. Compare that to other teams in same international bracket like France, Spain or even Netherlands

Too many ruined by signing for big clubs and then seeing their development stagnate because of lack of game time - Downing, Young, Rodwell, Sinclair etc. Granted nowhere near top class technical players but tons of squandered potential there. 

They aren't top class players but that does absolutely nothing to stop SSN and the rags constantly telling them that they are and trying to engineer huge moves for them because it sells, Sterling will be next, Harry Kane after that

Sterling to Real Madrid, Harry Kane going to utd for £35m, what planet do they live on?

We've got far too many bang average players believing their own hype whilst raking in vast sums of money and too willing to fall back on the same old everyone else's fault excuses, we've got an FA more concerned about how much money they can make rather than addressing the real issues in football, rather than drop the prices of the coaching badges in this country and address the real issue of lack of qualified coaches lets address the media and sponsor friendly coach race issues, for far too long now they have used how much money it generates as a measuring stick for how successful football is in this country, and make no doubt about it our FA is absolutely **** brilliant at making money

They lost a lot of money not qualifying in 2008.

And a couple of years later UEFA upped it to 24 teams, they're pretty good at making money too ;)

Poland and Ukraine struggled to sell out their corporate seats for the tournament and it wasn't a great financial success, look what's happening in 2020 as a result, they've given it to stadiums with great corporate facilities all over Europe, and once again the stadium that makes the most money for them will be hosting a UEFA final

They lost a lot of money not qualifying in 2008.

And a couple of years later UEFA upped it to 24 teams, they're pretty good at making money too ;)

Poland and Ukraine struggled to sell out their corporate seats for the tournament and it wasn't a great financial success, look what's happening in 2020 as a result, they've given it to stadiums with great corporate facilities all over Europe, and once again the stadium that makes the most money for them will be hosting a UEFA final

I mean the penny-pinching with things like the coaching badges you mentioned compared to the massive loss of non-qualification.

They aren't top class players but that does absolutely nothing to stop SSN and the rags constantly telling them that they are and trying to engineer huge moves for them because it sells, Sterling will be next, Harry Kane after that

Sterling to Real Madrid, Harry Kane going to utd for £35m, what planet do they live on?

We've got far too many bang average players believing their own hype whilst raking in vast sums of money and too willing to fall back on the same old everyone else's fault excuses, we've got an FA more concerned about how much money they can make rather than addressing the real issues in football, rather than drop the prices of the coaching badges in this country and address the real issue of lack of qualified coaches lets address the media and sponsor friendly coach race issues, for far too long now they have used how much money it generates as a measuring stick for how successful football is in this country, and make no doubt about it our FA is absolutely **** brilliant at making money

Spot on.I am sure the new Premier League deal with help matters- or maybe not.

Too many ruined by signing for big clubs and then seeing their development stagnate because of lack of game time - Downing, Young, Rodwell, Sinclair etc. Granted nowhere near top class technical players but tons of squandered potential there. 

Downing and Young aren't even close to getting a lack of game time. Downing made 40+ appearances both seasons at Liverpool. Young gets loads of game time too and would get even more if he didn't have constant injuries. Rodwell and Sinclair, yes, but Downing and Young got/get plenty of time at their big clubs. 

Edited by tommybread

majority of the under 21s play in the championship

because the PL is such a money spinner clubs want success and results now so developing the England player isn't for them so they loan them out unless there better than they have

Loftus Cheek didnt realy get much of a sniff till chelsea had all but won title

Butland?not sure but know he wasnt stokes first choice..lindgard loaned to derby

apparently Wilshire and sterling shaw jones chamberlain was all eligable..Berahino pulled out with Injury

they should of been in that tourny.there the future of English football and should be starting together and coming up together.other than Wilshire what have the others done for England euro campaign

but fair play to Kane.could of been on his Hols as lets face it hes gonna be a senior next season but said hes playing and finishing what he started

Edited by Villan81

The defence  looked poor all tournament. Why Southgate went 4-4-2 when a draw would have been sufficient I don't know. Having said that too many players  just wern't good enough at that level. Did Redmond have one good game all tournament. Loftus- Cheek looked good last match when he came on but Southgate didn't pick him and I think he could have picked the likes of Sterling, Ibe, and Wilshere but decided to stick with the players that got them there. 

Ward-Prowse had a good second half of the season for Southampton and was being massively hyped before the first game then gets dropped soon after. 

I said before the tournament I wanted to see a midfield trio of Will Hughes, Ward-Prowse and Prictchard. O.k maybe lacking in defensive nous but if those three can't pass the ball competently I give up,

Instead last night we had Calobalah doing his annual Reo-Coker impression (bloke's having a laugh if he thinks he's doing anything more than picking up the drinks at Chelsea) and that Foster-Caskey guy who I've never heard of.

I do think Berahino missing was a massive loss as his pace would've created more space for Kane who was very tightly marked in this competition which will be the norm for him next season.

I don't buy this not enough young players starting at the top level argument...look at Italy under 21s, I watched a replay this morning and the comms said the keeper got dropped by Chievo halfway through the season. None of them start for any of the major clubs, a few with Juve but they get loaned out to Sassulo.

• Like 1

There was a Gerrard and Rio Ferdinand interview in the paper today and Captain Stevie said the players are often bored on England duty and there was a 'shyness' in the group. They are building a golf course at St. George's Park to rectify this.  :thumb:

Â