Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

45 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I want to add a graphic equaliser to my set-up, anyone know which input/outputs I need to connect to on a Marantz amp?

I used to have a Marantz amp and equaliser and I think the amp took the various inputs from tuner, cassette, turntable, CD etc. and the amp outputs went to the equaliser inputs. Then equaliser outputs to speakers. That also makes sense because the amp has impedance matched cards for each external input. Or is that not what you’re asking?

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I used to have a Marantz amp and equaliser and I think the amp took the various inputs from tuner, cassette, turntable, CD etc. and the amp outputs went to the equaliser inputs. Then equaliser outputs to speakers. That also makes sense because the amp has impedance matched cards for each external input. Or is that not what you’re asking?

I’m asking which sockets on the amp rear I need to plug the RCA leads into, and into the eq.

I have no “pre amp” sockets so wondering if I can put it in “tape “ or “aux”. Don’t wanna spend money on something that won’t work!

Haven’t got a tuner/receiver and just dumped cd player as it’s faulty.

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I’m asking which sockets on the amp rear I need to plug the RCA leads into, and into the eq.

I have no “pre amp” sockets so wondering if I can put it in “tape “ or “aux”. Don’t wanna spend money on something that won’t work!

Haven’t got a tuner/receiver and just dumped cd player as it’s faulty.

So in that case turntable outputs to amp mm or mc depending on type of phono arm (moving magnet or moving coil) or maybe it’s just got a pair of turntable inputs on the particular amp? Whichever it is,  the amp left and right audio outputs, instead of going to speakers go to equaliser l and r input lines and then equaliser outputs go to speakers.

Presumably you could yahoogle it or find a marantz manual online to confirm for your particular kit?

1 hour ago, blandy said:

So in that case turntable outputs to amp mm or mc depending on type of phono arm (moving magnet or moving coil) or maybe it’s just got a pair of turntable inputs on the particular amp? Whichever it is,  the amp left and right audio outputs, instead of going to speakers go to equaliser l and r input lines and then equaliser outputs go to speakers.

Presumably you could yahoogle it or find a marantz manual online to confirm for your particular kit?

Cheers, still confused 😂

Have checked a few YouTube vids and will have to look at more

You could maybe bodge it throught the tape I/Os, but then you'd be leaving the amp's input selector on tape all of the time?

Yo'd be shifting between the CD and record deck/other sources with the Rec select on the amp rather than the Source select.

• 1 month later...

Help!

I need to extend the power cable coming out of the PSU of a Samsung soundbar.

The soundbar is model HWS801B. The wire coming out of the PSU into the soundbar isn't long enough and will leave me with the PSU visible on the wall. I just don't know what cable spec I need to order.

The PSU is 59W / 19V with 3.11A output.

I'm alright with wet football shirts but well out of my depth on this one!

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Help!

The soundbar is model HWS801B. The wire coming out of the PSU into the soundbar isn't long enough and will leave me with the PSU visible on the wall. I just don't know what cable spec I need to order.

You could use a barrel plug extension if I understood the setup correctly. Just make sure the diameters of the plug is correct

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Help!

I'm assuming the power lead from the mains socket to the PSU is a IEC type lead (either a figure of 8 or a kettle type)? Is it that lead you want to lengthen, if so just buy a longer one off the internets. They're made to carry more current than you will be using, and with a 5 amp fuse in, you're absolutely safe.

If it's the lead from the PSU to the actual soundbar, then that's most likely a quite thin wire with maybe a round plug on the Speaker end and maybe a moulded fit into the soundbar - for that to be extended, you'd need similar gauge wire and solder in the extra length (or use chocolate block or those cable joiner things with a little kind of guillotine in), But with it being DC, you need to make sure that you don't get the wires cross connected. This is very easy to ensure you get right - before you cut this wire, mark one of the lines at each end with some tip-ex or paint or a pen or something - so you've got a reference. then when you solder in a new length into the middle, just make sure the marked end at the PSU end is connected to the marked end at the little plug end - I hope that makes sense - the wires are usually two wires running next to each other in a figure of 8 shape insulated covering, so you can follow from end to end with a finger.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 18.06.24.jpg

So in my little diagram I've marked one line red and one black - just make sure when you put wire in the middle to extend it (if that's what you're doing) one half (lengthways) runs from red to red, and the other from black to black, not crossing over - don't connect red to black.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 18.25.51.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I need a turntable servicing, an older Thorens. Likely a replacement of all leads. Could anyone recommend someone on the Midlands who may be up to the job, Staffordshire would be the ideal but willing to travel. 

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I need a turntable servicing, an older Thorens. Likely a replacement of all leads. Could anyone recommend someone on the Midlands who may be up to the job, Staffordshire would be the ideal but willing to travel. 

https://rpmanalogue.com/

Owned and run by Richard March of PWEI fame.

On 07/01/2024 at 08:36, Seat68 said:

Ah of course. As this rings a bell I may have already asked this. Cheers

I think The Barry Island Experience may also have utilised those services

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think The Barry Island Experience may also have utilised those services

He is chocker at the moment but said drop him an email next month, its location is ideal for me so I can wait until then.

Wow. A thread about hifi. I love the hunt for getting the best sound in my livingroom,and the dedication it is to play vinylrecords,when you (or at least i) listen to all of the album,no skipping songs,and having it split into side 1,and 2. I had a period of ten years,or so when i thougt cd was the thing because of the convinience of beein able to skip songs i didnt like,and only listen to my favourites. But i started missing the whole album experience,and since i prefer music made when vinyl was a thing,the albums are often sequenced for that with a great opener of side two,and more made for listening to first one side. Then the other. This made me again discover more deepcuts,and songs who need time to shine. I have ended up with this setup,and feel i now dont have to search for more things to upgrade (other than the pickup when it wears out). I am now finally pleased with what i have got after having gone through a few amps,and turntables. I even might stick to the pickup i use now when i am buying a new. I have been really satisfied with some of the Denon pickups earlier,but my arm is a carbonarm,with little mass/weight,so i feel the Dynavector i am using now is a better match for the carbonarm.

WP_20161226_19_44_17_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

On 09/01/2024 at 20:13, fleksnes said:

Wow. A thread about hifi. I love the hunt for getting the best sound in my livingroom,and the dedication it is to play vinylrecords,when you (or at least i) listen to all of the album,no skipping songs,and having it split into side 1,and 2. I had a period of ten years,or so when i thougt cd was the thing because of the convinience of beein able to skip songs i didnt like,and only listen to my favourites. But i started missing the whole album experience,and since i prefer music made when vinyl was a thing,the albums are often sequenced for that with a great opener of side two,and more made for listening to first one side. Then the other. This made me again discover more deepcuts,and songs who need time to shine. I have ended up with this setup,and feel i now dont have to search for more things to upgrade (other than the pickup when it wears out). I am now finally pleased with what i have got after having gone through a few amps,and turntables. I even might stick to the pickup i use now when i am buying a new. I have been really satisfied with some of the Denon pickups earlier,but my arm is a carbonarm,with little mass/weight,so i feel the Dynavector i am using now is a better match for the carbonarm.

WP_20161226_19_44_17_Pro.jpg

Looks very nice.

And expensive!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Looks very nice.

And expensive!!

That’s right and part of the thing. “I’ve spent this money and got this set up, so when I put some music on, it’s gonna sound great”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Looks very nice.

And expensive!!

Sounds as nice as it looks :D

And if i should buy it all new from store at once i guess i wouldnt be able,but i have used years,traded div things in the setups over years,and all bought used,so it isnt to bad. And it is my mainhobby,so i feel i get a lot of pleasure back for the money invested in it. 

1 hour ago, fleksnes said:

Sounds as nice as it looks :D

And if i should buy it all new from store at once i guess i wouldnt be able,but i have used years,traded div things in the setups over years,and all bought used,so it isnt to bad. And it is my mainhobby,so i feel i get a lot of pleasure back for the money invested in it. 

Main hobby, I'm with ya there.

My set-up is a bit cheaper but still reasonable, might splash out on a new cartridge for the Rega in a month or two to replace the LinnK9.

spacer.png

As for albums, I "lost" most of mine about 15 years ago so what you see here is what I have managed to collect in that time.

spacer.png spacer.png

Excuse the untidiness and suitcase, we are going on holiday Sunday ;)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

As for albums, I "lost" most of mine about 15 years ago

Very nice set up. Looks really tasty with that rack you keep it in. 

Same story as yours with me,and my records. I got rid of most of them 20 years ago. I havent got to build as big collection as you have yet. This is taken not to long ago,so this is about how it looks today to. 

Trying to upload the box-set shelf,but it wont work. Maybe next post

DSC_0061.JPG

• Like 3

Â