Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

Having unearthed all my old vinyl in my parents loft (maybe "unearthed" is stretching it - it was more like "here, keep your own rubbish in your own house - you moved out 20 years ago), I'm hankering to listen to my old And Why Not? 45s.

I'm fully expecting that if I invest in a half-decent turntable and associated accessories, I'll be bankrupt by the end of the year, snapping up old Billy Ocean albums at record fairs but as I've no experience in record players, I'm turning to the VT collective for advice.

Starter kit, under £300 required. Any advice appreciated.

You want it all for £300 (amp + speakers), or just the deck?

Pro-Ject new - As they start relatively cheap.

Second hand, there's loads - Rob's Rega Planar 3 is a decent deck.

These are belt driven, if you want to play around DJing consider a direct drive - But they're more prone to motor noise.

'Budget' turntables

worth a quick read, but also worth reading the comments below the article

Once there you can click on the 'affordable speakers' article, which includes some which are £600 - I guess there are multiple definitions of affordable.

• Like 1

'Budget' turntables

worth a quick read, but also worth reading the comments below the article

Once there you can click on the 'affordable speakers' article, which includes some which are £600 - I guess there are multiple definitions of affordable.

I knew I was going to regret starting this thread. I'm going to blow my budget just on the turntable!

Want:

Pink-Triangle-Tarantella_zpsctvqmihh.jpg

After my divorce a few years back I had to start again with hi fi on a very strict budget.

I was lucky with the akai speakers for a tenner and they're still sounding great 8 years later. I also got a Kenwood fully automatic deck for twenty quid and a Realistic amp for £18.

I soon changed the deck for a Dual 505 for about twenty five quid and a Kenwood amp for thirty notes.

Start cheap and upgrade as you go :D

• Like 2

I've entertained the idea of getting a rega in the past. I'm sure I'd notice the difference if I upgraded, lol. But can't for now.

Edited by useless

Nah. Decided to track a few for a week or two so I can get a feel for market rate. Was going to bid up to £100 but by the time I went in, it was already past that.

As interesting as those two sci fi turntables look, I suspect they are more for the person that is into their engineering than their music. 

They look like hours of fun balancing things and upgrading to more precision washers and lighter and lighter flip flanges. Which then leads you to needing to buy 'music' that shows off all the wonderful attributes of the special gold cable.

I'm not sure it's going to make my 1982 copy of DK's Saturday Night Holocaust sound any better. Fascinating though.

Watching a Thorens deck on e-bay that's had a single bid of £150 and only 2 days to go. But strictly watching. Have to wait for the fish tank to be run down to grab that space for a new music corner before I start serious planning. That'll be months. 

Â