Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

5 hours ago, Xann said:

A pair of these will set you back over $600,000.

A friend of mine had a pair of Wilsons, not the WAMM of course but a WATT/Puppy. Stunning-ugly speakers. :) But my god do they sound good

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 22:56, Tegis said:

A friend of mine had a pair of Wilsons, not the WAMM of course but a WATT/Puppy. Stunning-ugly speakers. :) But my god do they sound good

In the silly money category - A sound engineer friend auditioned a pair of Flare Audio monitors this year and reckons they're the best units he's ever heard.

Don't know the model, or even if they're out yet? Do know the price though - £135,000, though there's a domestic version @ £20,000.

https://www.flareaudio.com/pages/pro-audio

Another world :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very productive weekend of me time. The amount of space for records in my man corner was ok, but I have to rotate what I've got out and what I've got stored fairly regular. They were just kept in a stripped out cupboard so it wasn't very space efficient.

So, this weekend it was clear that corner of the room, strip out the current built in cupboard and start fresh. So in round numbers I've just doubled the amount of records I have 'out'. Or at least I will have, new shelves are built but haven't added any extra records yet. I'll sort something out in the week. The domestic politics of that might be interesting! actually seeing a few hundred extra records out on show.

Whilst everything was in bits I had a play with a turntable too. Got one of the Lenco's out, took it apart, rubbed it down, painted the plinth, rubbed and painted and rubbed and painted some more.

Not finished, lots of detail to do. But up and running and all working. So a tidy weekend.

48514164541_6faac144c8_m.jpg 48514171606_23d1c0bbcc_m.jpg 48514350447_292d7deb1c_m.jpg

48514166641_065965dd30.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would you specifically want one of those, or basically are you just after some shelving, or open storage?

I’ve just made something fairly similar out of ply and it would have cost less than £50 to buy the materials.

48608855321_753e8ebc4e_n.jpg 48608493443_ac532711ff_n.jpg

I basically made two tables and put one on top of their other.

Photos were taken during the exciting ‘how much weight can this take?’ test, and then mid paint job. Note how I’ve thoughtfully painted around some records.

Edited by chrisp65

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve just made something fairly similar out of ply and it would have cost less than £50 to buy the materials.

She's pushing the deal through. I did offer :)

I've got a handsaw. Mine effort would be more right angley.

It's actually suspiciously right for the intended space in size and function.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just resurrected my old Stack system from the loft as Mrs H has decided she wants to play vinyl records instead of them gathering dust ( she'll be turning  vegan before I know it )

My preference would be to Bluetooth * some speakers to the Amp rather than run wires everywhere, I tested it via the Amazon Echo and it worked but needless to say an AMP is pushing out too much power for the Echo so its distorts

I just want a reasonable amount of volume and sound quality but without going into silly money  , Any suggestions ? 

My mate suggested a pair of Sonos speakers but at £200 a pop that seemed a bit excessive  , I'm not really going full audiophile here   ... I thought about a sound bar as it would give a decent(ish) stereo output from the one device , but i got the impression they were better suited for TV than a HI Fi System ? if I went for bluetooth Speakers  would the Amp kill speakers like this ? 

I do have a soundbar underneath my TV but alas it isn't Bluetooth and I've been unable to find any HDMI Bluetooth adapters to give it a cheap quick fix  , guess if a Soundbar would do the trick I could upgrade it and kill 2 birds with one stone

* my amp doesn't do Wifi so that isn't currently an option

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I just want a reasonable amount of volume and sound quality but without going into silly money  , Any suggestions ? 

There's quite a few ways to do this. Many don't involve your stack system, if you're looking to avoid wires?

You don't need an amplifier for active speakers.

You don't need a source select for Bluetooth speakers.

Trouble is, sonically your stack may piss over anything wireless you're likely to buy at that budget.

If your stack has got an Aux? You can connect your Echo to it and play records - Outlay one cable. You might decide you can put up with the speaker wires then?

Otherwise, maybe a visit to Richer Sounds?

Take note of what you've got already though. They'll be aware of the pitfalls of linking old and new kit

You can decide on the balance of convenience/sonics/budget you want to take?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I got a dragonfly DAC but it broke in the last few days. Pretty good whilst it lasted though, going to have to try and take it apart and see if I can see what's wrong, not hopeful of fixing it.

Edited by useless

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

Another indication that the modern HiFi buyer should seriously consider purchasing a DAC. It's almost a no brainer now.

We've been using DACs since the CD was introduced :trollface:

• Haha 1

It was the black one, I liked it probably sounded better than any CD player I've had, but then again I've never had a fancy CD player. I've just noticed if I push down on it whilst it's plugged in then it works again, so it might the usb port that's broke, although memory sticks still work so not sure.

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

We've been using DACs since the CD was introduced :trollface:

True enough, but now there's a whole world beyond Red Book.

Just now, useless said:

It was the black one, I liked it probably sounded better than any CD player I've had, but then again I've never had a fancy CD player. I've just noticed if I push down on it whilst it's plugged in then it works again, so it might the usb port that's broke, although memory sticks still work so not sure.

Probably had a knock or two. Maybe a snug little USB extender, Male to female?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 11:26, Xann said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.051cc73047190b5eeca72518d97ef06d.jpg

Thinking about getting one of these?

It'll get a load of stuff off the floor and make my record deck less of a ball ache to get at.

Cornish company that sells on E-Bay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kernowcarpentry-sounddesks/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Late I know but

IKEA Kallax shelving unit, 8 Cubes about £65 Many other sizes  available. .

Yadda Yadda corporate blah blah but Still haven't seen anything else as simple and good at the job

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Hope you avoided those Sonos speakers @tonyh29! I fancy they might have just self destructed unless they pivot very quickly.

still procrastinating on the whole thing so  no sonos products in the house at the mo

I'll get around to it one day  , thinking I'm due a new TV ( and soundbar ) at some point ...so then I can wireless pair the hi-fi system to the soundbar and job done ... but it will probably take me 6 moinths to decide what TV i want as there are so many to chose from  !!

Â