Hi-Fi Equipment

choffer

Sonos Software Stopping

Owners of Sonos products have reacted angrily to the firm's announcement that it will no longer issue software updates for its older devices from May.

Many say they have spent hundreds of pounds on Sonos speaker products for their homes over the years.

Newer Sonos products connected with the older ones will also be left out of future updates.

The change affects four models sold between 2006 and 2015, including the Connect:Amp and Connect.

Luckily, my 1970’s Wharfdales haven’t needed too many software updates as yet.

9 hours ago, Tegis said:

I missed out on a pair of reasonably priced B&W Nautilus 802 by about 6 hours. :( My dream (within financial reason) speakers.

Define reasonable?

What I just googled was thousands!

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Define reasonable?

What I just googled was thousands!

It was about 3 grand. They often go for double that, and it was in my neck of the woods as well. They are 70kg each so shipping is a hassle. New ones in the current model are called 802 D3 and they will set you back 18 grand.

It was perfect :(

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The kitchen DAB radio has died.

It was only ever a Tesco brand little black box, but it was neat, relatively cheap for back then when DAB was a novelty. So I guess it’s lasted quite well, with the obvious caveat that ‘old’ wirelesses used to last forever.

So, in that we don’t currently have a CD player in the house we might invest in a DAB / USB / CD type device. But a quick scan of the usual shops and they are perversely expensive. Not exactly cutting edge tech but anything of any quality is over £100.

I can see the kitchen ending up with one of those mini hifi systems, which feels like overkill.

Just now, Xann said:

Checked the fuse?

Yeah, gone through the basics, even checked it’s not the wall socket or a kink in the cable.

I’ve got some wd40 on the ‘on’ button right now, in case it’s just 10 years of kitchen grease.

I realise wd40 isn’t really much hope on a digital radio, but I bloody hate throwing stuff away, you spend forever composting the tea from teabags to save the plant and then undo it all by lobbing a digi radio in a skip.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, gone through the basics, even checked it’s not the wall socket or a kink in the cable.

I’ve got some wd40 on the ‘on’ button right now, in case it’s just 10 years of kitchen grease.

I realise wd40 isn’t really much hope on a digital radio, but I bloody hate throwing stuff away, you spend forever composting the tea from teabags to save the plant and then undo it all by lobbing a digi radio in a skip.

Have you considered an Echo dot or the like?

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Have you considered an Echo dot or the like?

If it was just for BBC 6 then yes I’d consider it, the kids have various Bluetooth type boxes already so I could nick one of those. But it was an opportunity to add a slot for playing CD’s.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

If it was just for BBC 6 then yes I’d consider it, the kids have various Bluetooth type boxes already so I could nick one of those. But it was an opportunity to add a slot for playing CD’s.

Just under £100 and it's got good reviews.

• Like 1

That’s the monkey!

I’ve looked at boxes similar to that before and the reviews were hilarious. Can’t remember the make (just checked the reviews and it’s not that one), but basically the reviews were that the box was great and the sound quality was excellent but the lowest possible volume was really loud. Loads of reviews saying it was unusably loud anywhere except a field. I was tempted.

I've got 3 internet radios. Better than DAB because more choice.

They all have a USB slot, so you can put your own stuff on a flashdrive too.

• 1 month later...

My mate asked me to recommend him a new hifi. I assume he thinks I know owt about them, due to the fact I listen to a lot of music, however I still have the same hifi I got in 1994 (having some issues with that now, so may return to discuss that at a later date). Anyway, he has a budget of around £500, and wants a turntable, cd player and Bluetooth. Any recommendations, or someone want to point us in the right direction of where to look? Ta. 

17 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Any recommendations, or someone want to point us in the right direction of where to look?

One option is to go to a Hi-Fi shop and tell them what he's looking for. They will do demos and stuff - play him his choice of music on a few different options of kit, in a room that's a bit like a living room.

For a turntable, CD player and Amp, plus bluetooth, I'd tend to ignore the bluetooth for a moment (you can get a decent dongle for £25) I'd ask what will he use the most - obviously the Amp - so that's where the most money might go, then it'll be either the CD or the Deck - next most money...

If he wants speakers too, then I guess the thing is to look for an all in one gubbins, because 500 quid between speakers, amp, CD and deck is not a great deal.

The other thing - no doubt @chrisp65 or Rantin' would point out is to buy second hand gear off gumtree or wherever. Maybe for all, or for some of the kit - more for less? Bit of internet research...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

My mate asked me to recommend him a new hifi. I assume he thinks I know owt about them, due to the fact I listen to a lot of music, however I still have the same hifi I got in 1994 (having some issues with that now, so may return to discuss that at a later date). Anyway, he has a budget of around £500, and wants a turntable, cd player and Bluetooth. Any recommendations, or someone want to point us in the right direction of where to look? Ta. 

If he’s starting with nothing and doesn’t know what he wants, but does want to just get something out of the box and start using it...

Richer Sounds

99b0909f3bc4d299f62f0a8d88730e72d9191b19

...and he’ll still have a heap of money for headphones and a few records.

If he’s happy to wait a bit longer and is confident to do absolutely basic fiddling about with cables and needles and having a separate amp and stuff like that, then yeah, second hand every time. Then you can take your time upgrading the bits you least like.

It so much depends on what he wants to do with it. If he thinks he’ll be DJing in a few months time, I haven’t got a clue. If he wants the trendy names with the right spec, i haven’t got a clue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only use earbuds when out and about.  Cheap, convenient and they can sound ok too. 

So the next issue is comfort and isolation, the rubber nipple that you often get in different sizes when you buy buds.

Anyone bought a good, maybe third party, rubber nipples?

22 hours ago, Xann said:

Only use earbuds when out and about.  Cheap, convenient and they can sound ok too. 

So the next issue is comfort and isolation, the rubber nipple that you often get in different sizes when you buy buds.

Anyone bought a good, maybe third party, rubber nipples?

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
On 23/01/2020 at 13:39, Tegis said:

I missed out on a pair of reasonably priced B&W Nautilus 802 by about 6 hours. :( My dream (within financial reason) speakers.

Oh joy, I found another gem. A mint pair of "B&W 803 Diamond"  :wub: They sound just as good as I hoped. Heavy bastards to lug home.

Now my only problem is that the HTM2 center is in a slightly different colour. Real picture incoming

image.png.c4318491b937263cbc18f91225c67d8c.png

• Like 2

Â