The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Fairly sure that had the same circus played out for the proper cabinet the other thread would have been in overdrive but maybe it's a reflection of how disenchanted the labourites  on VT are that they don't appear to give a monkeys ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

No. Nobody cares about Labour reshuffles, despite the media's desperate attempts to make it into a drama.

Meanwhile people mildly pay attention to Villa for the first time in years because we're a laughing stock. Even the Prime Minister is embarrassed to pretend he supports us these days.

To be fair, Labour are a joke because they're failing to really challenge the Conservatives despite a number of missteps by the government. Even Miliband and Balls would've done a better job.

I agree that most people don't care about the reshuffle but then again most people don't care about politics in general.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair, Labour are a joke because they're failing to really challenge the Conservatives despite a number of missteps by the government.

So what you are actually finding 'very amusing' is what you perceive as ineffective opposition when our country's government is making 'a number of missteps'?

Can I ask an ignorant question?

Say we're so disenfranchised with voting and we have such a low turnout next election. Is there nothing in place so that if just, say, 15% of the pop. vote and a party still gets in on a majority does it still count?

3 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Say we're so disenfranchised with voting and we have such a low turnout next election. Is there nothing in place so that if just, say, 15% of the pop. vote and a party still gets in on a majority does it still count?

The Manchester Central by election of 2012 had a turn out of 18%.

Labour won with just under 70% of the vote, so, doing the maths, the winner had less than 13% of the total possible vote.

Winner is still in parliament. 

In a General Election it isn't 'total vote' or any such thing that wins, it's hundreds of individual little elections, they could all be like Manchester Central and all count.

13 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

As far as I'm aware there is no quorum in a constituency election.

Edit: So, in answer to your question: yes, it does.

Edited by snowychap

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As far as I'm aware there is no quorum in a constituency election.

At the risk of being spectacularly wrong here I'm going to call pedant and say that quorum isn't the correct word to use here ... 

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

At the risk of being spectacularly wrong here I'm going to call pedant and say that quorum isn't the correct word to use here ... 

No, I think you're probably right.

Though as it would convey pretty much the same thing as I wanted to, i.e. a minimum number casting votes in order to make the vote valid (regardless of the environment), then I couldn't give a shit. :D

Edited by snowychap

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

They would be too busy avoiding tax whilst eating babies presumably 

Or gobbing off about an opposition party being 'a threat to national security' - yet again (at least I assume Fallon's doing it again and they haven't just quoted what he said in December or November or ... you get my drift).

Edited by snowychap

40 minutes ago, snowychap said:

So what you are actually finding 'very amusing' is what you perceive as ineffective opposition when our country's government is making 'a number of missteps'?

Nope.

I may not be completely satisfied with the government but I'm reasonably satisfied - still far more preferable to me than a Labour government and certainly more preferable than a Labour government led by Corbyn and McDonnell.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:
50 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Nope.

That's what your previous two posts added up to.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Are Labour a bigger joke than Villa right now? Probably not, but they're getting close. Unlike with Villa though I'm finding this very amusing. :D

59 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair, Labour are a joke because they're failing to really challenge the Conservatives despite a number of missteps by the government. Even Miliband and Balls would've done a better job.

I agree that most people don't care about the reshuffle but then again most people don't care about politics in general.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

... far more preferable to me than a Labour government and certainly more preferable than a Labour government led by Corbyn and McDonnell.

For me it's better broken down on good intentions than riding the accelerating suicide express of greed.

16 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's what your previous two posts added up to.

They're a joke in the sense that there's constant infighting and ministers are essentially being sacked for following official Labour Party policy (e.g. Maria Eagle), all in spite of a government which could be doing better. I personally find it amusing because I don't like Labour and I really don't like Corbyn and his cronies.

Edited by Mantis

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Fairly sure that had the same circus played out for the proper cabinet the other thread would have been in overdrive but maybe it's a reflection of how disenchanted the labourites  on VT are that they don't appear to give a monkeys ?

It largely is. The EU in/out thing isn't so much different.

Â