The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Whenever an MP resigns from a political party, there are calls for them to fight a by-election under their new banner.

This time round, it will be interesting to hear the argument about why we must have a further people's vote on Brexit, but that these MPs should not similarly check whether their constituents, having voted Labour, are content to be represented by a grouping they definitely didn't vote for, instead.

12 minutes ago, peterms said:

Whenever an MP resigns from a political party, there are calls for them to fight a by-election under their new banner.

This time round, it will be interesting to hear the argument about why we must have a further people's vote on Brexit, but that these MPs should not similarly check whether their constituents, having voted Labour, are content to be represented by a grouping they definitely didn't vote for, instead.

Should there be a similar vote when they are de-selected for having the temerity to disagree with Steptoe and his Momentum mentalists?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Should there be a similar vote when they are de-selected for having the temerity to disagree with Steptoe and his Momentum mentalists?

Which MPs do you think have been deselected?

If MPs are deselected, it means the party wants to choose someone else for the coming election when it happens, not that they have been expelled from the party and cease to represent it.  What would be the reason for holding a by-election in those circumstances?

It's not a job for life, or shouldn't be.  The idea of being selected once and then continuing as the representative for 30 or 40 years on the strength of that is a very odd one, and doesn't apply to, for example, councillors, who go through selection each time there's an election, quite reasonably.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peterms said:

If MPs are deselected, it means the party wants to choose someone else for the coming election when it happens, not that they have been expelled from the party and cease to represent it.  What would be the reason for holding a by-election in those circumstances?

It's not a job for life, or shouldn't be.  The idea of being selected once and then continuing as the representative for 30 or 40 years on the strength of that is a very odd one, and doesn't apply to, for example, councillors, who go through selection each time there's an election, quite reasonably.

Frank Field jumped before he was pushed. Not seen much of a clamour for him to fight a by-election and quite frankly he's to the right of this gang of seven

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, peterms said:

He's referring to LB and her local party starting the process to deselect before being called off by Corbyn as it opened him up to further accusations that he's a raging anti-semite.

I suppose this depends on the basis for which the deselection was taking place. The process is usually reserved for those who've done major wrong (the recent MP who broke the law when she lied to police following an accident being a prime example). Disagreeing with the leader doesn't qualify. In this case it's clear that there were anti-semetic undertones...see the following...

A no-confidence motion in the Labour MP Luciana Berger has been withdrawn and a meeting to discuss her future has been cancelled after it emerged that one of her key opponents within the local party called her a “disruptive Zionist”.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/08/labour-withdraws-luciana-berger-mp-no-confidence-motion

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd so want a balance party for the middle man. If their ever was a balanced middle party that were half decent they would win every election 

You want a new party to exist in the middle ground between Labour and Conservative? :huh:

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd so want a balance party for the middle man. If their ever was a balanced middle party that were half decent they would win every election 

Or it would be a party pleasing no one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

You want a new party to exist in the middle ground between Labour and Conservative? :huh:

It's a huge swathe of middle ground both parties have moved to the extremes of their ideologies in recent years

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, peterms said:

So you're saying that there should be a mandatory re-election process for every MP before they're allowed to recontest their seat at a General election?  Fair enough, but that's not what Momentum want to happen.  They just want to be able to deselect anybody who doesn't toe the line of Corbyn and Co.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Just the middle class who get screwed no matter who comes in - I think there are a few of us

The middle class are screwed? Really? Really?

I can only assume you've misworded this. There's huge swathes of the country who would kill to be screwed over as middle class if so.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Or it would be a party pleasing no one.

I think Dem is right on this one.  Both parties have lurched to the left/right after many years of the middle ground under Blair and Cameron.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's a huge swathe of middle ground both parties have moved to the extremes of their ideologies in recent years

Depends on your perspective - some of us might hope for something a bit more radical ;)

citizen_smith.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s not about politics/policies it’s about personalities.

People won’t vote labour because of Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott etc etc. 

I won’t vote for them again whilst that lot are in charge and I was quite supportive of aspects of their manifesto. 

If they had a ‘credible’ leader, with a heavyweight shadow cabinet, they would wipe the floor with the Tories. 

You can have your ‘centre party’ but if it ends up being led by political lightweights, it’ll go nowhere. 

‘The left’ need credible people to stand up and get the message across.

This split will do nothing but help the Tories. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

So you're saying that there should be a mandatory re-election process for every MP before they're allowed to recontest their seat at a General election?  Fair enough, but that's not what Momentum want to happen.  They just want to be able to deselect anybody who doesn't toe the line of Corbyn and Co.

I think there's a good case for that.  In most cases, a sitting MP would be confident of reselection, as most councillors are, if they have done a good job.

Most people I've known in the Labour Party, from right or left, accept that their representatives may not hold exactly the same views as them, and they recognise that people have to be able to work with others of different views if anything is to be achieved. 

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The middle class are screwed? Really? Really?

I can only assume you've misworded this. There's huge swathes of the country who would kill to be screwed over as middle class if so.

When you think about who the middle class are it's not the rich it's the oens in the middle who can just about live but are made poor for paying for the rich or the ones poorer than them. 

Â