The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

4 wins and we'll be safe I reckon

Edit: worth saying that I'm not very confident that we'll get 4 wins!

4 wins and 2 draws. 3 wins and 5 draws. Basically 36 points. IMO.

I've got this horrible feeling we left it 1 game too late. 

The complete lack of any kind of anything away at Leicester was the game for me, had we got a new manager in that week then he could have been backed a bit in the window and we could have hit this run of fixtures that started with Hull after a month of preparation under the new regime.

We need 5 in midfield, but we don't want that 5 on the edge of our box.

I'd put Gil in the middle and tell him to stay central, but drift within the width of their 18 yard box.

4-4-2 will get destroyed by any decent 4-3-3 team.

Benteke

Sinclair, Gil, Bacuna/Gabby

Delph (free-ish role to get in front of the forwards), Sanchez/Westwood

Richardson, Clark, Okore, Hutton

We need 4 attackers and 6 defenders, and go from there.

I am concerned that these players are just too far gone, mentally and physically they look shattered. I don't think they have the fight in them, no matter who the manager or what the tactics.

"Fight in them." It's an interesting concept, but if you're talking strictly psychology, I actually think the players are still accessible to the influence of good coaching. No "fight" would suggest they're beyond that.  I've said for a while that I think Tekkers actually does have some kind of psychological block, but other than him, I don't know. It seemed to me that the players were fighting pretty fudging hard against Stoke but Sherwood was still hoping against hope for Benteke to come to life.

I thought they fought pretty hard - you could almost 'get it forward' ringing in their ears - It was the technique of getting it forward that they seemed to struggle with.

Like I say points available v points required its still very do able - but its going to take some turnaround - if it happens it will be a great escape style of thing - right now I would bite your arm off if we got to Burnley at home needing a win to stay up.....performances wise it looks ropey to me...

Agree with both of you, I'm not sure I explained myself particularly well. I think that whilst I am sure they are giving it 100% I think that they are too physically and mentally broken for that to have enough of an effect. Basically, I am worried that their valiant effort is going to go unrewarded because they simply no longer have the legs or the mental capacity for it. They are playing afraid right now, understandably.

That said, all it will take is one win and maybe the bounce will return to their step. Saturday can't come soon enough. 

Think youre over egging it - 1 win you say ?  - Had we not beaten Leicester the week before ? - It was an injury hit stoke side and we got off to the perfect start. - The feelgood factor should have been there. In Delph and Sanchez he had the wrong pairing in the middle - both gave the ball away to much.

I think Sherwood needs to drill the players to have better technique - we need a pattern of play - just 'get the ball forward' was taken too literally by our players - Im sure thats what he will be working on this week

I think TS needs to play Gil behind Benteke and free him of some of the defensive responsibility that comes with being on the wing.

Put Bacuna on the right wing because he's stronger,  a more natural ball winner and naturally right footed.

4-4-1-1 please Tim.

• Like 2

I think TS needs to play Gil behind Benteke and free him of some of the defensive responsibility that comes with being on the wing.

Put Bacuna on the right wing because he's stronger,  a more natural ball winner and naturally right footed.

4-4-1-1 please Tim.

Yeah - Id drop one of the wide players and stick Bacuna in there - your suggestion for Gil is interesting though.

How do people think there are 3 worse teams than us? We have shown nothing to show that we are any better than any other team in the league. We are the worst team in the division and but for a late Everton equaliser we would be in our rightful place in the table. If Sherwood manages to keep us up I'll be amazed.

How do people think there are 3 worse teams than us? We have shown nothing to show that we are any better than any other team in the league. We are the worst team in the division and but for a late Everton equaliser we would be in our rightful place in the table. If Sherwood manages to keep us up I'll be amazed.

We'd still be 19th

[/pedant]

• Like 1

We'd still be 19th

[/pedant]

Ha fair enough, I'm afraid to look at the table these last few weeks so got that wrong.

I'm confused as to why sherwood changed everything around for the stoke game after the Leicester cup win as surely it would of been best to stick with a winning team and formation, we actually clicked in that cup game and it was silly to change everything around.

Well we beat Leicester !

Other than that - I don't see anything to suggest there are 3 teams worse than us.......

Well we beat Leicester !

Other than that - I don't see anything to suggest there are 3 teams worse than us.......

Not sure if serious...

We'd still be 19th

[/pedant]

Ha fair enough, I'm afraid to look at the table these last few weeks so got that wrong.

I'm confused as to why sherwood changed everything around for the stoke game after the Leicester cup win as surely it would of been best to stick with a winning team and formation, we actually clicked in that cup game and it was silly to change everything around.

In part to accomadate Gil.

Also against Leicester Vlaar was immense - against Stoke he was .......(the opposite of Immense !!!!) - That cost us dearly.....

To be fair to TS he doesn't have many cards to shuffle - I thought he got centre mid wrong on Sat - but its not the exactly the first game weve lost this season. As I said a couple of posts back he needs to establish a pattern of play - and stamp his identity on the team.  Can he do that .....at all ? can he do that in the tight timescales we have ? - dodgy on both counts..... IMO

Well we beat Leicester !

Agreed.

Deep down I feel this year is the year for us. The goal famine has killed us. Still, plenty of winnable games to come if you can bring yourself to ignore the fact that we've won 5 all season. 

How do people think there are 3 worse teams than us? 

We have been absolutely terrible but are above one team, on the same points as two others and within a handful of points of another four teams.

The reason I think we are better than at least three sides in this division is that on paper we have been punching below our weight and a number of others have been either punching above theirs or doing about as well as you would expect.

One of the first things Sherwood said when he came in was that you look at our squad and it is a mystery to most in football why we have struggled so badly. The reason we did for me is that the previous manager could pick a player and assemble a squad but was absolutely clueless in terms of getting them organised in a way that got the best out of them individually and collectively as a team.

We now have a manager that may be able to get the best out of them and that alone gives me hope that we can survive. 

• Like 3

Is this an artful piece of nonsense from Tim?

Asked if, in the context of his pride in taking charge of Villa, this was one of the lowest moments of his football career, the former Tottenham Hotspur manager said: “Yeah, it’s low. I’m low tonight.”

Really? Can Tim really be THAT low? What the hell did he think was happening at Villa? Or is he being diplomatic, because NOT to seem crushed would make him seem insensitive to supporters' emotions? Or is he so arrogant as to think that he really deserved serious substantive credit for a week's work and therefore this loss shouldn't have happened? On the other hand, do you think he's truly given his heart to Villa and is feeling sincerely gutted?

Mind you, I understand managers sometimes have to say things they don't necessarily believe, but this comment still intrigues me.

Well we beat Leicester !

Not sure if serious...

I m agreeing with you !

The only crumb of comfort is that we beat leicester  

• Like 1

4-4-1-1 please Tim.

Yeah - Id drop one of the wide players and stick Bacuna in there - your suggestion for Gil is interesting though.

I think we need Gil to be as far up the pitch as possible to hurt teams. He gets through a lot of work though and having to concentrate on tracking back every time the opposition comes forward seems like a waste of what he's good at.

Asked if, in the context of his pride in taking charge of Villa, this was one of the lowest moments of his football career, the former Tottenham Hotspur manager said: “Yeah, it’s low. I’m low tonight.”

Really? Can Tim really be THAT low? What the hell did he think was happening at Villa? Or is he being diplomatic, because NOT to seem crushed would make him seem insensitive to supporters' emotions? Or is he so arrogant as to think that he really deserved serious substantive credit for a week's work and therefore this loss shouldn't have happened? On the other hand, do you think he's truly given his heart to Villa and is feeling sincerely gutted?

Mind you, I understand managers sometimes have to say things they don't necessarily believe, but this comment still intrigues me.

I think it was probably the stark realisation of just what a mess he's signed up to.

• Like 1

I really would ignore anything in press conferences - good or bad

Its is his actions on the training ground, in the dug out, (and results) that will make or break him here - press conferences are much over analysed

• Like 1

We'd still be 19th

[/pedant]

In part to accomadate Gil.

Also against Leicester Vlaar was immense - against Stoke he was .......(the opposite of Immense !!!!) - That cost us dearly.....

To be fair to TS he doesn't have many cards to shuffle - I thought he got centre mid wrong on Sat - but its not the exactly the first game weve lost this season. As I said a couple of posts back he needs to establish a pattern of play - and stamp his identity on the team. Can he do that .....at all ? can he do that in the tight timescales we have ? - dodgy on both counts..... IMO

I think 442 won't work regardless as we don't have the players for it and we don't have the time adapt, maybe cleverley and Delph might work as the 2 but still doubtful for me. The best plan of action is to get Gabby out of the starting line up and find a place for Bacuna in the team, he needs alot of time on the ball but he has the quality to create something when he finds space. Gil, sinclair and bacuna should be nailed on starters as they are the only forwards who look like they will make something happen, if gabby starts on Saturday then I'll be expecting the worst again.
  • Like 1

Â