Thread for Transfer Suggestions

JohnCresswell

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the possibility of linking back up with his old River Plate team-mate Angel could be a sweetener if we were to go in for him. That's the one lure we have that no-one apart from Valencia have (cuz they could use Aimar as the same lure).

Disappointed we didnt go for Ambrose who has now gone to Charlton for a relativly small fee for a good up and coming versaitile player. Espescially as Charlton are one of our rivals nowadays.

Reports out of Central America say that former Manchester City and current Costa Rica striker Paulo Cesar Wanchope has been given 48 hours by Malaga.. to find a team to play for in England.

He's not WORLD CLASS.. but would he be worth it if he came cheap, just as cover? He's a bit injury prone, but when he's healthy he's a pacy dangerous threat.

no way Clayton!!! he's not even good enough for Cov!!

Personally, I reckon our strikers are pretty decent, we just need to give them more scoring opportunities from midfield play - therefore we should splash the cash and try and get a real creative player in - D'Allesandro is available or so I understand or even Kim Kallstrom?

Landon Donovan just scored 5 goals in our last two games. and then he scored a goal in our friendly before that, and a couple goals in the game before that.

If there is ANY thing I hate about my beloved Aston Villa- it is that Landon Donovan was never even looked at. Effing Portsmouth had him locked in a year ago, only to be denied because January is not the MLS' transfer window (meaning, it would have been illegal for Donovan to be up for being traded...what a joke, but true I guess?). Three years ago I mentioned him on this site, and we could have picked him up for 1mil (before WC2002). This severely pisses me right off. He and Beasley both could have been picked up for less than 4 mil for the both of them...and now this.

It would have been a dream for me to wear a Villa kit with Donovan's name on the back. How effing annoying!

Landon is an interesting proposition, but its hard to tell how he would perform. He's spent so long in MLS and playing his stiffest competition in Concacaf matches that its hard to say how he'd fair in England. The annoying is part is that despite what you say 3PO, Landon is playing in MLS completely on his own accord - he hasn't wanted to move back to Europe. I wonder how much of his career he will have wasted by taking the stance he did when Europe came calling after the last cup.

He's fast, has great vision, can score and pass and is versatile (has played on the left wing, as a pace striker and as a 10) and would be a huge marketing tool. Yet, he hasn't been challenged for three years now and he likes being the big fish in the small pond, he's an asset that promises high returns but comes at great risk.

Does anyone know who heads up Villas Scouting Team ? I wonder if he has taken a look at Preston North End's David Nugent, a sharp, fast, tricky centre forward.

PNE acquired Nugent for a bargain 100K from Bury and narrowly missed getting into the Premiership with him. Nugent joined them in January and proceeded to score 9 goals. He has been been with the England U-20's . Since DOL and Stride like bargain hunting, they should take a good look at Nugent . IMHO Nugent might be great investment for the future for any Premiership team and maybe even the present .

Have any of you Lancashire Villa fans seen the lad ? What are your thoughts ?

I dissagree with the part about him not playing at a high level. I liked his performance, from what I saw, against Liverplop this past Champions League. I think it just sucked for him to play on a club that has the rights to Half the footballers in Europe. If he came here (anywhere in England) he'd have had more of a shot to start, and I'm sorry, but, I think he could start 18 clubs in the Premiership, ESPECIALLY ours. **** Leverkusen for always dabbling into every freaking person who puts a boot on. It's that club that discouraged him, in my humble opinion.

The marketing tool would definitely mean more villa shirts than just the 'one' in the pubs that show the footie here in US (that one being either me, or you, or Nibbly, or USVillan when in the pubs watching Premier League). It would have been brilliant to have picked him up. I doubt that transaction would have been topped at Villa Park for the next decade. We **** up, simple as.

Nathan Ellington

Wigan star Nathan Ellington will not be signing a new contract with the club.

The 23-year-old has just one year left on his current deal with Wigan, who have been looking to tie him and team-mate Jimmy Bullard down.

Ellington, known as The Duke, has now decided that he will see out his contract at The JJB Stadium.

The player's representative Tony Finnigan confirmed the situation.

"We met with Wigan last week and their offer was turned down," Finnigan told skysports.com.

"Nathan has decided to see out his contract at the club.

"Should they wish to sell him before his deal expires, then that is up to them."

Ellington cost Wigan £1.2 million from Bristol Rovers in 2002 - but he has proved his worth by grabbing 67 goals in 139 starts for The Latics.

A transfer scramble could now ensue, with Wigan realising they would lose the player for nothing next summer.

A host of Premiership clubs are known to be checking on Ellington's situation, but news of his decision to see out his contract could tempt some to make a move before the start of the new season.

From SkySports

Got to be worth a punt?

only to be denied because January is not the MLS' transfer window

It's typical of America to have a transfer window and then make it different to the European one. Surely if they are trying to grow the sport, making it easier for their stars to become better players in other countries would serve to do that. Keeping it relatively insular is only hurting the development of the national team. That's my 0.02 anyway.