Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Hull and Leicester have Saints and WBA away respectively. Burnley have Arsenal and QPR have Chelsea. It's likely that none of them will pick up any points this weekend, so there is a good opportunity to extend the gap .

QPR have Austin. We have Benteke.

I'm just wondering if those players alone could hold the key to survival and be what eventually drops Hull and Burnley.

We have Gabby and they have Zamora

for me its them 2 players that could be a major player if they hit form with their strike partner

QPR have Austin. We have Benteke.

I'm just wondering if those players alone could hold the key to survival and be what eventually drops Hull and Burnley.

Burnley have Ings. Although he isn't as good as Benteke or Austin imo

I said on the Spurs thread it's absolutely crucial to get at least a point as it's such a tough weekend for our rivals.

Badly need to sneak a great result either in this game or the next.

If everyone else is as you were come Sunday night and we've moved to 32 I would expect that we wouldn't drop back to the bottom 3 again. Even moving on to 30 would give us a good buffer.

Hanging where we are 3 points above with a rubbish goal difference is dicey.

Where do some people have us picking up 7 points from? We'll get another 3, 4 at an absolute maximum. The reality is, we have picked up a staggering 19 points from 28 games since the opening 4 games of the season. There is no way we are getting 7 points from 6...

It would seem more relevant to look at the points we've picked up since Sherwood's arrived.
We have a couple of victories against a rather poor WBA side and Sunderland who sacked their manager after losing to us. We conceded 3 times at home to QPR in what was a must win game. We have lost all the games that we are expected to lose this season as well. It's the players that I have little faith in, rather than the manager. I know we need to look at what has changed since Sherwood has taken over (more goals) but have we really improved as a side? Not so sure

I find it ridiculous how people try and excuse those two wins - under Lambert we would not have won either and in fact probably lost them.

Yes, we have improved. I don't know how anyone can honestly believe that we haven't. We haven't improved as much as we'd like, but when you consider that we could barely muster a single goal when Lambert was in charge it's obvious to see that we've improved.

It's also funny how some were saying we'd lose to them as well as they have pulis and we should have got him and they have improved blah de blah de blah and now it's suddenly they are shit so what changed? The same manager that had them winning but suddenly now shite? Seems before every game the opposing team is better than us and on a run and will beat us but when we do beat them or draw it's they are crap so ignore the wins or result as it doesn't prove anything and we've not improved at all. Edited by nazvfc

Gabby isn't a great footballer at holding up the ball, or passing, or reading the game and getting into spaces. 

What he is good at is being quicker than pretty much anyone else. 

I would like to try and create space for him to run into. I've always said this. 

It was a key MoN counter attack which revolved around good passers and Gabby. 

We need to create him space and then hit the ball into space where the is 1:1 with the full back or anyone else. He will 90% of the time win the ball first or get fouled trying to...

I don't know how other than allowing him to swap positions if either full back on the opposing side is slower or not starting the game very well. 

Now with City that is easier than Spurs. Walker and Rose are pacey but Rose I think would be more likely to cause fouls on Gabby as walker strength is more suited to him being able to toe to toe it with Gabby. 

Delph for me in the centre is the only one capable of finding that needle thread for him to get on to, or weight it well enough for him to get into that space. 

We don't need gabby to score, we just need him to get onto balls we try and play into space. 

Apart from Kane the height of spurs doesn't concern me, but they are a quick side and we need to try and stop their full backs keeping us penned in. 

Leaving Gabby on the half way line removes Walker or Rose straight away. No way on earth Dier is stopping Gabby.

Let's worry about us and not other results.If we're good enough to stay up will get the points simple as that.

I thought that before the QPR game. We couldn't beat the easiest team to play at home in the league. Unfortunately I think we do have to rely on other team's results.

Everton, West Ham and Burnley are all winnable. Anything from the away matches is a plus.

I'm confident we can do it.

They look a tougher (or at best comparable)  set of fixtures than Stoke, Swansea , QPR  - We didn't win any of those - what is your basis for saying these are winnable ? - Weve only won 3 home games all season - Hull, Leicester and WBA  ....

the difference between this season and last season is we pick up some lucky results against bigger teams we have looked toothless this season against big teams and im afraid unless we can get something from the bigger teams up until the end of the season then im afraid our fate might be sealed.

saw it mentioned elsewhere that all we need to be safe on the last day of the season is ONE point more than the highest points scorer out of QPR and Burnley over the next 5 games. Given the fixtures, not necessarily a given, but not actually the mammoth task some would have you believe. 

QPR have Chelsea (H), West Ham (H), Liverpool (A), City (A), Newcastle (H) and Burnley have Arsenal (H), Everton (A), Leicester (H), West Ham (A), Hull (A), Stoke (H). 

QPR will be doing well to get 4, Burnley on the other hand will have their eye on at least 9.

Moving up the table a bit, we need 3 more than Hull to be safe on the last day, and they've got Southampton (A), Palace (A), Liverpool (H), Arsenal (H), Burnley (H), Spurs (A).