Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Yes it will all look different if we beat QPR. 

A short term boost - which keeps our chances of scrambling over the line alive. As for next season being any different, barring a takeover I just don't see it.

The new contract happened under fox's watch - If Fox thought it was wrong he should have blocked it - as CEO of a multi million pound business  'I hadn't been here that long' shouldn't cut it.

He then waited far to long to axe lambert 

He then appointed the easiest option available - The most inexperienced manager Ive known us appoint in 40 years 

Hes been here since august - that's 3 almighty clangers at his door IMO - That could well cost us our premiership status and hundreds of millions in lost revenue - Only at Aston Villa could he get away with that.

Just pray a new broom comes in - and cans the lot of em

We have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. What's to say that Fox didn't want to get rid of Lambert earlier but Lerner was against that? Let's not forget that Lerner is the one with the final say, not Fox.

You seem to have already decided that Sherwood is a failure, which is pretty strange since we're in a better position now than we were when Lambert was sacked. Ok we haven't pushed on as much as we would have liked (yet) but things could've stayed the same or got worse - they didn't. I'd like to know as well who else you think we could've realistically gotten who would've done a significantly better job than Sherwood has up to this point.

I really don't understand this vendetta you seem to have against Tom Fox.

Edited by Mantis

The negotiations for Lambert's contract would have started long before Fox arrived at the club. And even if he thought it was wrong there's nothing he could have done to stop it, because at the end of the day the final decision is Randy's.

Sunderland won due to a wonder goal, a bit of fight and coming up against a clueless side in terms of attacking. Overall though unless your a one eyed Sunderland fan you'd have to say Sunderland still looked a very poor side.

Despite what happened this weekend I still maintain we are better than all the sides currently in the bottom 6. We are also fortunate in the fact we still have to play two of the sides below us. We win both of them, which I fully expect us to, and pick up a point against one of the other five teams we face, then for me we'll be safe.

As I said earlier though a few more fans getting themselves down to Villa Park on Tuesday and getting right behind the players would be a big help in seeing us achieving the first part of what is required.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

The negotiations for Lambert's contract would have started long before Fox arrived at the club. And even if he thought it was wrong there's nothing he could have done to stop it, because at the end of the day the final decision is Randy's.

If that's true then fair enough, my bad. However we can all agree that Lerner is a buffoon.

Sunderland won due to a wonder goal, a bit of fight and coming up against a clueless side in terms of attacking. Overall though unless your a one eyed Sunderland fan you'd have to say Sunderland still looked a very poor side.

Despite what happened this weekend I still maintain we are better than all the sides currently in the bottom 6. We are also fortunate in the fact we still have to play two of the sides below us. We win both of them, which I fully expect us to, and pick up a point against one of the other five teams we face, then for me we'll be safe.

As I said earlier though a few more fans getting themselves down to Villa Park on Tuesday and getting right behind the players would be a big help in seeing us achieving the first part of what is required.

I don't often disagree with you Mark.

But weve beaten a Sunderland Team who at the time were in turmoil - and scrambled a win against Albion who are desparate on the road. Weve lost to teams who have little to play for Swansea, Stoke, and Newcastle. 

No problems with yesterdays score - but the way Sanchez just let the guy run past him , and then Delph got suckered in a bounce up FFS - The very basics were once again lacking - it smacked of a lack of focus - very worrying signs

If that's true then fair enough, my bad. However we can all agree that Lerner is a buffoon.

I don't know if it's true for sure but It was reported in the media as far back as last season about Lambert getting a new contract. I think they just waited until they did because that was the best time to do it in terms of it being well received by the fans. If I remember rightly we'd just gone five game unbeaten.

We will never know the finer details - But my feeling was Randy handed over the running of the club to Fox - it might have been 

"Tom, Pauls done great over the last 2 season s with limited funds - theres a new contract for him - final decision is yours of course - but he's been great for us"  

It would seem Sherwood was Fox's appointment - looked at the time like a panic move - and so its proving - putting a rookie in charge of a big club at any time is risky, but one in almost free fall was asking for trouble 

I don't know if it's true for sure but It was reported in the media as far back as last season about Lambert getting a new contract. I think they just waited until they did because that was the best time to do it in terms of it being well received by the fans. If I remember rightly we'd just gone five game unbeaten.

Correct.

But if TF had have been dead against that move - he should have dug his heels in and shelved it for a few months - those tricky and big decisions and what a CEO is paid for. TF seems to take the easy option.

We will never know the finer details - But my feeling was Randy handed over the running of the club to Fox - it might have been 

"Tom, Pauls done great over the last 2 season s with limited funds - theres a new contract for him - final decision is yours of course - but he's been great for us"  

It would seem Sherwood was Fox's appointment - looked at the time like a panic move - and so its proving - putting a rookie in charge of a big club at any time is risky, but one in almost free fall was asking for trouble 

You still haven't said who you think we could've gotten that would've done a better job than Sherwood has up until now.

And "big club" status means **** all when you're in the midst of a relegation battle. There are plenty of experienced managers out there that I wouldn't want anywhere near Villa.

QPR are a slow side with the worst defence in the league. If we use our pace effectively we should do enough to win on Tuesday. Benteke has now scored 2 in 2 for club and country and I expect him to show some form now til the end of the season. 2-1 to Villa on Tuesday.

• Like 2

I can understand why some are being negative but let me try and lift the mood a little. When Sherwood arrived we were 1 point above Burnley, we are now 3, we were behind QPR on goal difference we are now 3 points ahead, we were 1 point behind Hull we are now level, we were 2 points behind Sunderland we are now 1 behind.

Of Sherwoods six league games in charge so far we have faced three teams in the top 10 and three in the bottom 10. Of the three teams in the bottom 10 we have taken six points. Of our remaining games we face three sides in the bottom half of the table all at home.

Am I clutching at straws? grabbing on to any positives? Maybe I am. Facts are though that we are in a better position than we were when Sherwood arrived. Have shown under Sherwood against comparable sides in our half of the league that we can get positive results and therefore given what has gone before under Sherwood, and what is still to come this season, then I am confident we will stay up.

Bottom line is though that despite what any stats may or may not tell us or who we have to face our fate is in our own hands. Now is not the time to be defeatist or to be getting on to the still new to the job managers back. Now is the time for rolling up our sleeves, grabbing our bollocks (most ladies excluded) and once again backing this club to the hilt in person if at all possible or in spirit if not. They need us again and we can't be found wanting.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Oh for heavens sake calm down. If we beat QPR on Tuesday we will be 5 points clear with Burnley having Arsenal next weekend and QPR having Chelsea to play.

If we can't beat a rubbish QPR side notwithstanding a decent result yesterday, then quite frankly we don't deserve to stay up.

IF

Excellent post Mark. There have been some bad results this weekend (although Hull losing against Swansea was a big plus) but we're still in a decent position to get ourselves out of this mess.

• Like 2

The plain facts now are; we need to beat QPR and Burnley and, take two more points elsewhere. If we do that we will more than likely be safe. Let's face it, it shouldn't be that difficult from the last seven games that we have remaining. If we can't do that we don't deserve our place in the top flight.

• Like 1

How is Tom Fox a "buffon"? It makes no sense. The real buffoon is Lerner.

Both are

How is Fox exactly? The contract alone isn't enough to warrant that.

How is Tom Fox a "buffon"? It makes no sense. The real buffoon is Lerner.

Both are

How is Fox exactly? The contract alone isn't enough to warrant that.

Giving a man a contract after 4 decent games, completely ignoring 2 seasons of shite makes him a buffoon. Look what happened after the new contract.

The new contract happened under fox's watch - If Fox thought it was wrong he should have blocked it - as CEO of a multi million pound business  'I hadn't been here that long' shouldn't cut it.

He then waited far to long to axe lambert 

He then appointed the easiest option available - The most inexperienced manager Ive known us appoint in 40 years 

Hes been here since august - that's 3 almighty clangers at his door IMO - That could well cost us our premiership status and hundreds of millions in lost revenue - Only at Aston Villa could he get away with that.

Just pray a new broom comes in - and cans the lot of em

Or the Chairman wanted to reward Lambert with a new contract for carrying out his orders and as we know contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on all they do is increase the pay off but they also convey to the players support for a manager. Then when after having ample time to turn it around Fox acted swiftly and decisively by firing PL and getting in a manager that's up and coming instead of the same old stale crap out there. Ultimately if we get relegated you can say you was right but seeing as we were in the bottom 3 and nailed on for relegation and now find ourselves in an FA Cup semi with home fixtures that should ensure a survival that's now back in our hands I don't think you can lay blame just yet.

Swansea, Stoke and Newcastle are all midtable teams with nothing to play for. We got nothing from those games. We beat a WBA side twice who are shit away from home, and a Sunderland in crisis. QPR is a must win and if we don't I'll be fearing the worse.

And yet these are teams that QPR, Sunderland and Burnley will sneak wins or draws from.

This is where our donating of penalties at the last kick of the game, single moment of lapse per match resulting in the loss, will easily cost us. From these 3 teams alone were 3 points that we threw right away.

If we go down we have only ourselves to blame, Sherwood or Lambert.

Losing WAY too easily when the other teams around us are able to avoid them.

I can understand why some are being negative but let me try and lift the mood a little. When Sherwood arrived we were 1 point above Burnley, we are now 3, we were behind QPR on goal difference we are now 3 points ahead, we were 1 point behind Hull we are now level, we were 2 points behind Sunderland we are now 1 behind.

Of Sherwoods six league games in charge so far we have faced three teams in the top 10 and three in the bottom 10. Of the three teams in the bottom 10 we have taken six points. Of our remaining games we face three sides in the bottom half of the table all at home.

Am I clutching at straws? grabbing on to any positives? Maybe I am. Facts are though that we are in a better position than we were when Sherwood arrived. Have shown under Sherwood against comparable sides in our half of the league that we can get positive results and therefore given what has gone before under Sherwood, and what is still to come this season, then I am confident we will stay up.

Bottom line is though that despite what any stats may or may not tell us or who we have to face our fate is in our own hands. Now is not the time to be defeatist or to be getting on to the still new to the job managers back. Now is the time for rolling up our

sleeves, grabbing our bollocks (most ladies excluded) and once again backing this club to the hilt in person if at all possible or in spirit if not. They need us again and we can't be found wanting.

Love it Mark.