Paul Lambert

limpid

Huge differences? Well it would be nice to progress. Thought that was the whole point of sport. To be better and get better.

And while defence is much better it makes no difference when attack is much worse because the end result is the same.

But we have become better in certain areas of our game. Its very difficult to progress in every aspect when one of the key prerequisites in Premier League football isn't afforded to you.

But we aren't allowed to mention that are we.....

You can mention it, not surprised we're back to that one now.

Previously it was tough fixtures but we've won 2 games from 15.

It was also we didn't have benteke but he's back and actually seems to be getting a bit of stick now.

It was give him till January and well here we are with points per game no different than his first year.

So I guess we're back to using funds to excuse any progress under him.

But these are valid reasons and that is why there are still a significant number of people who accept them. 

We should play 4-4-2 at home. As I said before, 3 in the middle at home (with Benteke dropping deep and Gabby and Andi coming in field) leaves it congested, especially when the opposition has men behind the ball.

if we did play 442. I think we might see a drop in the performances of Hutton and Cissokho who seem to enjoy the space they are getting right now. We need to replace our attacking players who are all about pace ad strength and get some better players.

But we would have the added benefit of width from Grealish and (maybe!) N'Zogbia, which will stretch teams and leave room through the middle.

Huge differences? Well it would be nice to progress. Thought that was the whole point of sport. To be better and get better.

And while defence is much better it makes no difference when attack is much worse because the end result is the same.

But we have become better in certain areas of our game. Its very difficult to progress in every aspect when one of the key prerequisites in Premier League football isn't afforded to you.

It was also we didn't have benteke but he's back and actually seems to be getting a bit of stick now.

It was give him till January and well here we are with points per game no different than his first year.

But these are valid reasons and that is why there are still a significant number of people who accept them. 

I agree, these have not helped. But Lambert is the 'manager' and by definition it is his job to manage with what he has. He has failed at this. We need to seriously think if there is somebody out there who can get more from what is a talented set of players.

• Like 1

I agree, these have not helped. But Lambert is the 'manager' and by definition it is his job to manage with what he has. He has failed at this. We need to seriously think if there is somebody out there who can get more from what is a talented set of players.

Has he failed though? In certain peoples eyes, yes but remember, the person who sets the goals for the season is Randy Lerner and I don't think Lerner is aiming for anything other than survival. By that definition he hasn't failed.

Has he failed though? In certain peoples eyes, yes but remember, the person who sets the goals for the season is Randy Lerner and I don't think Lerner is aiming for anything other than survival. By that definition he hasn't failed.

I wasn't aware that we had to judge Lambert the same way our owner does.

• Like 1

I'm not saying we do. I think we should be doing better but the point is saying that he has failed when our owner thinks differently is completely futile because he isn't going to get sacked. Instead, If you really want change, Why not direct our disappointments at the owner?

I'd say failing to get the team to score goals, not improving year on year with points, struggling to get the best out of players, constantly losing to lower league teams and being unable to think past 'Benteke to score' is failing. And Lerner is failing as a chairman, but that doesn't make Lambert any less to blame for the problems which have been ongoing for near on three years.

• Like 2

well thats the indication whether he has failed in his job not mine or your opinion

Just having a look at some stats.....

We have the 6th best defence in the league. Interestingly its the 12th best at home but the 3rd best away.

Our attack however it woeful as we all know. 20th in the league, 20th away and 19th at home.

Having the 6th best defence in the league is brilliant. Could we maybe forgo that slightly to boost our attack? I think that is necessary and I think with a few tweaks it can be done easily. All we need is to replace Cleverley with a creative player and drop Weimann for Grealish a bit more often and I think we will see changes.

10 men, again. Difficult to judge without seeing how the game would progress.

P.S. getting a point with 10 men is always a good result.

No chance that we could have scored in the first half when it was 11v11?

Perhaps. But we know this game well enough to know that isn't how it works. We had them chasing shadows for 45 minutes, who knows what would have happened as the game stretched even wider.

Hindsight I know. I'd just like to see us with 11 men for another 90, a couple of times, before I write the "new" system off.

Why would I judge him the way Lerner does? That would make my view of the club the same as Lerner and I think we should be aiming for more than survive.

And I agree, but your opinion in that regard is utterly irrelevant. Lerner couldn't care less what you think. Therefore wouldn't it make more sense to direct your disgust towards Lerner as he is the root cause of our problems?

I'd say failing to get the team to score goals, not improving year on year with points, struggling to get the best out of players, constantly losing to lower league teams and being unable to think past 'Benteke to score' is failing. And Lerner is failing as a chairman, but that doesn't make Lambert any less to blame for the problems which have been ongoing for near on three years.

I don't disagree with any of that. I've said this many times, Lambert has his negatives, lots of them, but Lerner is at fault. Its very difficult to do your job to the best of your ability when you work in a poor environment under stifling conditions. I'm sure we can all sympathise with that.

We have the 6th best defence in the league. Interestingly its the 12th best at home but the 3rd best away.

Our attack however it woeful as we all know. 20th in the league, 20th away and 19th at home.

Having the 6th best defence in the league is brilliant. Could we maybe forgo that slightly to boost our attack? I think that is necessary and I think with a few tweaks it can be done easily. All we need is to replace Cleverley with a creative player and drop Weimann for Grealish a bit more often and I think we will see changes.

And yet we haven't tweaked. The same players keep playing. That's one of many problems with Lambert. He doesn't seem to change things until it becomes literally the only option left.

2 and a half years to start passing the ball. Okore picked after no fit defenders available and now it seems grealish will come in now there's really no way to continue with the same players.

Good managers make these sorts of decisions to have a positive impact on the team. Lambert just waits and then it finally happens before we hit rock bottom.

Why would I judge him the way Lerner does? That would make my view of the club the same as Lerner and I think we should be aiming for more than survive.

And I agree, but your opinion in that regard is utterly irrelevant. Lerner couldn't care less what you think. Therefore wouldn't it make more sense to direct your disgust towards Lerner as he is the root cause of our problems?

I do agree that Lerner is the major issue at the club. But he's not here making decisions week in week out. Lambert is the one continuing to get the same poor results on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

And yet we haven't tweaked. The same players keep playing. That's one of many problems with Lambert. He doesn't seem to change things until it becomes literally the only option left.

2 and a half years to start passing the ball. Okore picked after no fit defenders available and now it seems grealish will come in now there's really no way to continue with the same players.

Good managers make these sorts of decisions to have a positive impact on the team. Lambert just waits and then it finally happens before we hit rock bottom.

Yep, he made no changes whatsoever to get those defensive stats.

Edit: I assume you are talking about making those attacking changes? If so then yes, he does need to make them. The point still stands though he has worked on the defence. Hopefully the attack is next.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

well thats the indication whether he has failed in his job not mine or your opinion

Well, I have an opinion, and in my opinion Lambert and Lerner have both failed me.

It's this that gets me.

- The bomb squad and the return of Hutton

- Young and hungry vs experienced

- All out attack vs all out defense

- Counter attack only vs possession and playing out from the back

It's been a reign of extremes, which indicates one big failing on his part: There is no considered plan or way forward. He's feeling his way around - and mostly getting it wrong.

Another reason, could be he isn't a very good manager. Plenty of evidence to substantiate this theory. Why can't some people accept that.

Â