Paul Lambert

limpid

We have Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Richardson and N'Zogbia who have shown they can all control and pass the ball but under the current manager we can't even manage to equal Hull at home in terms of keeping the ball and on Saturday looked like rabbits in the headlights.

Blimey, even Weimann and Gabby have a ggod enough touch and control.

People say it will get better with Benteke back but I remember last when we were dire with him in the team because we just kept on hoofing it up for him to knock on/down which didn't work as Benteke likes it to his feet, tigh or chest.

We need a new manager with tactics and someone who can motivate the team??

You do realise we actually won that game, right? Do you think Hull fans came away from the game celebrating because they had more possession?

But we sat back and let them come on to us and they could have taken something from the game? I know we won. I never disputed that but we should have killed the game by keeping the ball. We need to control games better at home when we have worked hard to build a lead IMO.

I don't know why people are still going on about the Hull game, we won.

I don't know why when possession is discussed the only thing people can say is we won the Hull game. Yes we all know that! It seems almost as though if we won a game we are unable to discuss the match in any kind of other than it was the prefect performance or people agruing that stats are meaningless and what consitutes a shot on goal?

It is becoming impossible to discuss any perceived issues with our play on here without people making silly comments that don't add to the debate but just try to wind up people?

Has anyone said our play is perfect? I haven't seen anyone suggest that, however this constant we don't control the game, I'll be honest with you I haven't seen Villa control a game for a long long time. Even when we were smashing Blues 5-1, we did not dominate the ball. This philosophy that people keep banging on about isn't driven by the manager, it's driven by the club, i.e. the board, the fans and the manager. For those of us who go to Villa park, even when we are keeping possession of the ball, you will hear constant groaning at VP, get it down the flanks, get it forward, it's been the same for years.

• Like 1

We have Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Richardson and N'Zogbia who have shown they can all control and pass the ball but under the current manager we can't even manage to equal Hull at home in terms of keeping the ball and on Saturday looked like rabbits in the headlights.

People say it will get better with Benteke back but I remember last when we were dire with him in the team because we just kept on hoofing it up for him to knock on/down which didn't work as Benteke likes it to his feet, tigh or chest.

You do realise we actually won that game, right? Do you think Hull fans came away from the game celebrating because they had more possession?

But we sat back and let them come on to us and they could have taken something from the game? I know we won. I never disputed that but we should have killed the game by keeping the ball. We need to control games better at home when we have worked hard to build a lead IMO.

I don't know why when possession is discussed the only thing people can say is we won the Hull game. Yes we all know that! It seems almost as though if we won a game we are unable to discuss the match in any kind of other than it was the prefect performance or people agruing that stats are meaningless and what consitutes a shot on goal?

It is becoming impossible to discuss any perceived issues with our play on here without people making silly comments that don't add to the debate but just try to wind up people?

Has anyone said our play is perfect? I haven't seen anyone suggest that, however this constant we don't control the game, I'll be honest with you I haven't seen Villa control a game for a long long time. Even when we were smashing Blues 5-1, we did not dominate the ball. This philosophy that people keep banging on about isn't driven by the manager, it's driven by the club, i.e. the board, the fans and the manager. For those of us who go to Villa park, even when we are keeping possession of the ball, you will hear constant groaning at VP, get it down the flanks, get it forward, it's been the same for years.

you have just made the very point.....its been like it for years.

isn't that the point that is being made....that is NOT progression.

We all know the difficulties in signing players that are comfortable on the ball....but isn't that something we should working towards no matter how long it takes.

• Like 1

We all know the difficulties in signing players that are comfortable on the ball....but isn't that something we should working towards no matter how long it takes.

In games where a team is comfortably 2-0 up a goal from the opposition can often radically change it and produce an ending to the game which isn't representative of what came before it. It's got nothing to do with Villa - that's just how football often works.

Edited by Mantis

I agree with this. The best football we played (in recent times) was under DOL IMO, although there was plenty of terrible performances too.

Solano and Angel link up play at its best.  :D "Made in South America"

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

Years as in possibly Little's days of when we controlled games on a regular basis. Signing players that are comfortable with the ball, what exactly does that mean? Do you think the players we have signed aren't comfortable with the ball. Your judging of progression is quite frankly nonsense IMO, So just say we dominated the Hull game with 70% possession, had 20 shots on goal, but still lost, would you judge that as a team progressing? It seems people are judging progression in their own heads, some will judge it because they don't like Lambert, some judge it by defence. It's just ridiculous of how progression is being judged.

I agree with this. The best football we played was under DOL IMO, although there was plenty of terrible performances too.

We've had moments, but in terms of consistently controlling games, it's been a long while.

• Like 1

Actually no, I didn't make that point at all. Please actually read the post.

I said in games where a team is comfortably 2-0 up a goal from the opposition can often radically change it and produce an ending to the game which isn't representative of what came before it. It's got nothing to do with Villa - that's just how football often works.

sorry Mantis, I was referring to SIT's post

Years as in possibly Little's days of when we controlled games on a regular basis. Signing players that are comfortable with the ball, what exactly does that mean? Do you think the players we have signed aren't comfortable with the ball. Your judging of progression is quite frankly nonsense IMO, So just say we dominated the Hull game with 70% possession, had 20 shots on goal, but still lost, would you judge that as a team progressing? It seems people are judging progression in their own heads, some will judge it because they don't like Lambert, some judge it by defence. It's just ridiculous of how progression is being judged.

I agree with this. The best football we played was under DOL IMO, although there was plenty of terrible performances too.

We've had moments, but in terms of consistently controlling games, it's been a long while.

Sikh in Trinity....if you think we can progress this club with a consistent helping of 20-30% possession you are living in dreamworld.

Of course in the whole scheme of things its not everything but it is a good barometer of where a team is heading.

The recent games have been difficult to play any other way than we did, granted, but overall, playing a brand of football that has little consideration of passing and moving with the ball or bring it under control with ease,is heading in to mediocrity.

If you don't know what comfortable on the ball means, I'm not about to tell you, other than to say you may have wasted a lot of money in entrance fee's.

Well then hopefully when we get a new owner they will install a philosphy of successful entertaining football and for that he will need to change the manager very swiftly. You say it's been the same for years and maybe your right but in my 40 years down VP I have not seen much worse than Lambert has served up and certainly not for so long with the backing of the owner.

Sikh in Trinity....if you think we can progress this club with a consistent helping of 20-30% possession you are living in dreamworld.

Of course in the whole scheme of things its not everything but it is a good barometer of where a team is heading.

The recent games have been difficult to play any other way than we did, granted, but overall, playing a brand of football that has little consideration of passing and moving with the ball or bring it under control with ease,is heading in to mediocrity.

If you don't know what comfortable on the ball means, I'm not about to tell you, other than to say you may have wasted a lot of money in entrance fee's.

We had 45% possession against Hull, so what barometer are you reading when saying we weren't in control. Little consideration of passing, you'd think they don't pass the ball to each other. Lambert isn't doing a bad job considering his players can't pass nor control that round thing. Lets not forget a major factor here, he has spent 7million this summer, and your expecting him to show progression against the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea, with 7million. That wouldn't even buy Diego Costa's shoelaces and you accuse me of living in dreamworld. Anyway we disagree as your view on how progression is judged is absolutely nuts.

We had 45% possession against Hull, so what barometer are you reading when saying we weren't in control. Little consideration of passing, you'd think they don't pass the ball to each other. Lambert isn't doing a bad job considering his players can't pass nor control that round thing. Lets not forget a major factor here, he has spent 7million this summer, and your expecting him to show progression against the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea, with 7million. That wouldn't even buy Diego Costa's shoelaces and you accuse me of living in dreamworld. Anyway we disagree as your view on how progression is judged is absolutely nuts.

45% against Hull to me is low considering we are at home....and thats one game.

This is not an excercise for unconditional slagging off, its just pointing out our shortfalls.

look we are at odds on this, I'm out.

FFS - YES, I certainly would call it progression.

70-30 possession with 20 shots on target you're going to win many more games than you lose. Of course you may still lose a couple, that's football, but the general trend will be positive. By the same token you can win a couple of games with low possession, defensive, constant counter-attacking football, but you will get found out over a season.

Jeez, even Barcelona lose now and again.

We've all been to games where we've lost well or won badly and everything else in between. I'm struggling to think of a handful of games in the last four years where we have won well. Staggering really.

• Like 2

Possession is quite the opposite actually, boring football.

....The mind boggles.

Possession for possession sake yes.....but if you ain't got the ball, you can' t hurt the opposition.

No disrespect, but I think the point is being missed.

• Like 2

More like "holy quotes batman". This thread is now unreadable on a mobile device, due to so many nested quotes some text is falling in one character per line. Can someone be the bigger man and break up the quote cycle so I can actually read what's being said? :)

Possession is quite the opposite actually, boring football.

Good lord, really?

So you think watching the ilk of Messi, Xavi and iniesta in their pomp is boring? Watching them run rings around Man united like they're not even there? Playing football like chess rather than than hit and hope is boring?

I can lump a ball aimlessly 80 yards. I want to see footballers who can do things I can't.

No wonder our national team has been so dreadful over the years.

You need to watch the season review when we finished second under Big Ron and the tell us if you think that football was boring. 

Â