Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't understand why we can't have a conversation about why we can't string a few passes together without it being seen as moaning or having a dig at the manager.

I think 3 years in its fair enough to voice concerns over issues that have been evident from day 1.

It's got the potential to get better but its a definite concern.

Apparently it's not an issue because we are playing top 6 teams and we have not been relegated yet.

I'm genuinely interested to know what the issue is with keeping the ball and why we can't do it.

Our wins against Stoke, Newcastle, Hull and Liverpool all came with us having less possession. If we can win games without needing the ball as much as the opponent, why is it an issue? Or is it more to do with how "entertaining" we play?

You have to remember that possession is only calculated by time, literally how long a team has the ball for. Right now Chelsea are dominating against Arsenal, I'm sure anybody watching would agree. However, they have actually had less possession than Arsenal.

I may be wrong but over a season I'd imagine teams that keep the ball well tend to finish higher in the league.

The teams with the most points finish higher in the league, if we're able to win games with less possession (which we have shown we can do so far this season), I do not see the issue. 

Is that yet another comfortable home win for Chelsea I see today.

Maybe "having a go" at Stamford Bridge isn't as easy as it sounds, Chelsea are probably that good this season.

With less possession than Arsenal!

• Like 1

I don't understand why we can't have a conversation about why we can't string a few passes together without it being seen as moaning or having a dig at the manager.

I think 3 years in its fair enough to voice concerns over issues that have been evident from day 1.

Apparently it's not an issue because we are playing top 6 teams and we have not been relegated yet.

I'm genuinely interested to know what the issue is with keeping the ball and why we can't do it.

Our wins against Stoke, Newcastle, Hull and Liverpool all came with us having less possession. If we can win games without needing the ball as much as the opponent, why is it an issue? Or is it more to do with how "entertaining" we play?
It's an issue because Premier League players should be capable of keeping the ball. Let's see how many points we pick up this season when our possession is less than 40% in a game. Will be interesting reading.

Why?

Win vs Stoke 38%

Draw vs Newcastle 40%

Win vs Hull 45%

Win vs Liverpool 26%

You don't need to have spent more time with the football during 90 minutes than the opponent to win a football game, we have shown so far this season that we can win games with less possession, hence why I do not understand why there is an issue with it so far this season.

As I said let's see over the whole season. No you don't need possession to win games but it obviously helps. Even if it's possession that goes nowhere for 5 or 10 minutes. Passing around at the back. Going forwards, backwards. Pretty boring stuff I admit.

But that boring 5, 10 minutes of aimless possession is time City or any opponent hasn't got the ball so can't do any damage.

It's pretty basic stuff.

Is that yet another comfortable home win for Chelsea I see today.

Maybe "having a go" at Stamford Bridge isn't as easy as it sounds, Chelsea are probably that good this season.

I actually disagree with having a go against big teams. You get a spanking. My issue is not how we set up. It's the lack of composure and the constant need to attack a million miles an hour as soon as we get the ball.

I can't get my head around it.

It's an issue because Premier League players should be capable of keeping the ball. Let's see how many points we pick up this season when our possession is less than 40% in a game. Will be interesting reading.

Why?

Win vs Stoke 38%

Draw vs Newcastle 40%

Win vs Hull 45%

Win vs Liverpool 26%

You don't need to have spent more time with the football during 90 minutes than the opponent to win a football game, we have shown so far this season that we can win games with less possession, hence why I do not understand why there is an issue with it so far this season.

As I said let's see over the whole season. No you don't need possession to win games but it obviously helps. Even if it's possession that goes nowhere for 5 or 10 minutes. Passing around at the back. Going forwards, backwards. Pretty boring stuff I admit.

But that boring 5, 10 minutes of aimless possession is time City or any opponent hasn't got the ball so can't do any damage.

It's pretty basic stuff.

But City have the calibre of player that can put pressure on a team and take the ball even if you don't want them to have it, whilst we do not have the calibre of player that can keep the ball from the sort of player they have. 

Football really isn't as simple as "keeping the ball so the opponent can't score" unfortunately, to be honest I'm glad it isn't.

And, if we're saying "over the whole season", why are people moaning already? Especially when we've started well.

I'm so confused, what has Lambert done wrong so far this season?

I think people who have concerns are basing them on the last two years. While it's been a solid start there are issues that are still there from last season.

There will always be issues that are still there, but we've also improved a great deal, especially when we do not have possession. This is shown by our current league standing and the points on the board.

However, we are only 7 games into the season and 4 of those games were against the top 4 of last season, so we should surely wait out until any verdict is made for good or bad.

Yeah I agree.

I think its fair for people to voice concerns though.

Why?

Win vs Stoke 38%

Draw vs Newcastle 40%

Win vs Hull 45%

Win vs Liverpool 26%

It's pretty basic stuff.

But City have the calibre of player that can put pressure on a team and take the ball even if you don't want them to have it, whilst we do not have the calibre of player that can keep the ball from the sort of player they have.

Football really isn't as simple as "keeping the ball so the opponent can't score" unfortunately, to be honest I'm glad it isn't.

And, if we're saying "over the whole season", why are people moaning already? Especially when we've started well.

Who's moaning? I'm having a discussion about something I think is an issue. You are disagreeing. It doesn't have to always be moaning when critical about the team.

I agree it probably is because of the quality of Man City's pressing. But in our last 2 games I lost count of the amount of killer passes that are attempted that simply aren't on.

When Chelsea and City are in the same situation they don't attempt the pass. They just pass it backwards and wait until a pass is on.

As I said. Basic stuff.

Stoke (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (38%)

Newcastle (h) - Shots on target (0) Possession (40%)

Leyton Orient (h) - Shots on target (1) Possession (53%)

Hull City (h) - Shots on target (4) Possession (45%)

Liverpool (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (26%)

Arsenal (h) - Shots on target (2) Possession (29%)

Chelsea (a) - Shots on target (1) Possession (37%)

Man City (h) - Shots on target (1) Possession (32%)

How is this acceptable? Why are people still defending him? I was very much behind Lambert at first but last season was awful and this year is no better. Results/League position is great but we are only heading one way. We have failed to score in 4/5 home games.

He hasn't had any money to spend? Well you don't need a ton of money to develop a good style of football and at least have a game plan/decent tactics. How much have Swansea spent over the last 3 seasons? £8m total outlay compared to our £38m. 

If these performances were under the McLeish era he would be slated. There were tons calling for his head last seasons, what's changed over the summer? Nothing as far as I can see. Apart from Hull at home every one of these games has been dire to watch. Is anyone honestly enjoying these games?

So after a woeful last season in 8 games so far this season we've managed to have more of the ball in one of those games and had more than 1 shot on target on 2 occasions in 8 games.

Long term unless there is improvement it just doesn't work IMO as we saw last season.

People who are raising concerns are IMO right to do so.

Hopefully with players coming back to fitness and if the right players are selected things will improve.

• Like 1

I think people who have concerns are basing them on the last two years. While it's been a solid start there are issues that are still there from last season.

There will always be issues that are still there, but we've also improved a great deal, especially when we do not have possession. This is shown by our current league standing and the points on the board.

However, we are only 7 games into the season and 4 of those games were against the top 4 of last season, so we should surely wait out until any verdict is made for good or bad.

you say we have progressed (and in reality we should have given the time he has been here) but have we? After the same number of games last year etc and against similar opposition have we really made positive progression? We have had the customary defeat to a lower league club (so no progress there just more embarrassment ) , the football has been turgid and we have seen another round of excuses trotted out.

At what point can we say enough?

How great would it be for him to do well and the team play good football. How great would it be to have a positive football philosophy back at the club?

Sometimes in life what you want does not happen but you have to face up to facts and accept, adept and move on. At the moment there just seems a bit too little real scrutiny of the manager and his impact.

you say we have progressed (and in reality we should have given the time he has been here) but have we? After the same number of games last year etc and against similar opposition have we really made positive progression? We have had the customary defeat to a lower league club (so no progress there just more embarrassment ) , the football has been turgid and we have seen another round of excuses trotted out.

How great would it be for him to do well and the team play good football. How great would it be to have a positive football philosophy back at the club?

Sometimes in life what you want does not happen but you have to face up to facts and accept, adept and move on. At the moment there just seems a bit too little real scrutiny of the manager and his impact.

My opinion is that the football hasn't been turgid this season and that we've played good football, in the sense that we've played a certain way and picked up an abundance of points in comparison to last season and the seasons before, in just 7 games (especially when you factor in who our opponents have been).

Of course, we are only just 7 games into the league campaign, so I don't see any point in saying we've progressed or regressed just yet. So far, so good, again in my opinion.

Edited by samjp26

Arsenal just beaten at Chelsea and didn't manage a shot on target in the game. Just saying.

And Chelsea had less possession. Goals are what count, although I do think we need to be more threatening in the final third, hopefully Benteke brings that for us. 

Depends what the target is.

Without a takeover and us in our present state, I'd just settle for a top 10 finish with no relegation battle. It's not much but it's where we are at really. There are so many teams in the league with bigger budgets and better sides than we have.

On the quality of football I agree it was desperate last season and I can't say we're going to be playing free floating football this year from what I've seen...but I'll be happy enough winning a few more games than we usually do.

The problem is as same as ever...4 home games played, 1 win and 3 games we haven't scored in nor looked likely when you consider we didn't have a shot on target v Newcastle which looks very poor considering the mess they're in. We won't get close to ten home wins again this season imo and you can see with the attendance yesterday people are voting with their feet.

Beats me why we never both signing any creativity in the middle.

• Like 1

So far this season is no better than last season, in fact looking purely at statistics it could be considered slightly worse. We have 10 points from our first 7 games and a -5 goal difference whereas last season we had a +1 goal difference. The only positive is that we are currently 1 place higher in the league. Our next 2 games against Everton and QPR (2 teams languishing in or around the relegation zone) will hopefully give an indication on whether the current team assembled by Lambert is capable of actually playing football, scoring some goals and putting some points on the board.

So far this season is no better than last season, in fact looking purely at statistics it could be considered slightly worse. We have 10 points from our first 7 games and a -5 goal difference whereas last season we had a +1 goal difference. The only positive is that we are currently 1 place higher in the league. Our next 2 games against Everton and QPR (2 teams languishing in or around the relegation zone) will hopefully give an indication on whether the current team assembled by Lambert is capable of actually playing football, scoring some goals and putting some points on the board.

I'm guessing that the first 4 games of the season have been written off then?

I think we do look stronger at the back though.

Hopefully the return of Benteke can make a difference up front.

Guess what you like. Did you write off the games in which we achieved our first 10 points last season or did you look at the accumulative effect of games where we hardly have any shots on goal or decent possession resulting in not many points being achieved?

I think we do look stronger at the back though.

Hopefully the return of Benteke can make a difference up front.

Based on what, the fact that we have just conceded 8 goals in 3 games or the fact that we have a -5 goal difference after 7 games?

Guess what you like. Did you write off the games in which we achieved our first 10 points last season or did you look at the accumulative effect of games where we hardly have any shots on goal or decent possession resulting in not many points being achieved?

As I said earlier, I think we did well in our first 4 games this season, we certainly played football, scored some goals and put some points on the board that is for sure. The last 3 games we were completely outclassed. That is my opinion. 

Â