Paul Lambert

limpid

In terms of his off field activity my only major bugbear is the lack of money received for players during his tenure.

I don't hold it against him entirely as it's difficult to know how actively involved he's been in the outgoings of players, but someone's dropped the ball because to get the money we have for:

Warnock

Collins

Cuellar

Lichaj

Holman

Dunne

Makoun

Bannan

Ireland

Albrighton

Not to mention the inability to sell:

Hutton

Bent

Is criminal. Spurs would have made about £30M out of that at least I'd wager

In terms of his off field activity my only major bugbear is the lack of money received for players during his tenure.

I don't hold it against him entirely as it's difficult to know how actively involved he's been in the outgoings of players, but someone's dropped the ball because to get the money we have for:

Warnock

Collins

Cuellar

Lichaj

Holman

Dunne

Makoun

Bannan

Ireland

Albrighton

Hutton

Bent

The problem here isn't the selling ability of the club or manager, it's the purchase of the players (and the negotiating of their contracts) to begin with. For too long the club was happy to put players on long contracts and pay them way more than they were actually worth. This seemed to continue right up until Lambert arrived.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Warnock

Collins

Cuellar

Lichaj

Holman

Dunne

Makoun

Bannan

Ireland

Albrighton

Hutton

Bent

I doubt lambert has had much to do with negotiating fees for those players

Warnock

Collins

Cuellar

Lichaj

Holman

Dunne

Makoun

Bannan

Ireland

Albrighton

Hutton

Bent

I doubt lambert has had much to do with negotiating fees for those players

And nor should any manager. He should identify who he wants and the rest is up the club. The problem is some managers expect whoever they identify to be brought in regardless of the cost and players demands. If it's refused they walk. Lerner learnt the hard way because of MON.

Lambert has worked under Lerner's terms. MON worked under his own terms with full owner backing. You have to wonder what someone like Lambert could achieve with the same kind of backing. I doubt we will ever know.

• Like 3

Warnock

Collins

Cuellar

Lichaj

Holman

Dunne

Makoun

Bannan

Ireland

Albrighton

Hutton

Bent

It didn't help that the manager froze out a lot of players which devalued some of them considerably.

I agree his remit was to reduce the wage bill but I still believe his treatment of some of the players has meant we'll get or have got a reduced transfer fee for some of them.

Remember a lot of these guys were still picking up their wages but just not playing. How exactly did that reduce the wage bill? 

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Warnock

Collins

Cuellar

Lichaj

Holman

Dunne

Makoun

Bannan

Ireland

Albrighton

Hutton

Bent

Do you blame him for that or the person responsible for recruiting them in the first place.

despite the many things i have against him, the players he has inherited is challenging....maybe other clubs know a bit more than we do about this.

• Like 1

picking up their wages but just not playing. 

nub of the whole problem.

.....as simple as it sounds.

simple game football.

simple game football.

Agreed - so much for getting them off the wage bill. LOL

If Lambert is to stay let's hope he has learnt from his numerous mistakes from the 2013/14 season.

simple game football.

Agreed - so much for getting them off the wage bill. LOL

If Lambert is to stay let's hope he has learnt from his numerous mistakes from the 2013/14 season.

Except it's not that simple at all, players have all sorts of bonuses written into contracts including appearance bonuses.

Do you really think that there wasn't a reason why players were not included in the first team squad. That Lambert just wanted to make the job that bit more difficult?

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring

I think this has been covered about 100 times.

It maybe has, but I've still to see one decent argument for the way we've bombed players out, thus reducing all their values to nil.  I suspect that's a lot more to do with Lerner than Lambert, but it's still stupidity of the highest order.

• Like 2

I think it is fair to say a very small number of players probably weren't played (rightly or wrongly) because of contractual issues you have alluded to above.

Certainly not the majority though.

None of us can say how many of the players may have been omitted for contractual reasons but that's the point it's not as simple as you and TRO seem to believe. It wouldn't have been done on a whim, for the hell of it.

Just because we don't know what the reasoning was behind the situation doesn't mean that there wasn't a good reason for it.

None of us can say how many of the players may have been omitted for contractual reasons but that's the point it's not as simple as you and TRO seem to believe. It wouldn't have been done on a whim, for the hell of it.

Just because we don't know what the reasoning was behind the situation doesn't mean that there wasn't a good reason for it.

I think you've missed the point on this as it is recognised some players may have been left out for contractual reasons.

The point is there are players who weren't, and IMO the majority, who due to what we have done we have recovered a smaller transfer value or received no transfer fee.

I believe the 'bombing out' of certain players was to try and force their hand into a move elsewhere. Unfortunately a lot of our players on higher wages simply aren't as good as their wages would suggest, so they've simply decided to sit out their contracts.

The football purist in me feels a bit let down that professional footballers would rather sit on the bench (the majority of our 'bomb squad' didn't/don't even do that!) than play for another club on a lower wage, but at the end of the day it is AVFC that have given them that deal, and you cannot blame them for making us honour it.

Could Lambert have handled things differently? Sure, but we don't know the whole story regarding appearance bonuses etc, only snippets for ITK's.

For me, probably my biggest disappointment with Lambert is the performances regressing from 12 months ago when the team that he had built looked like it was going somewhere, which IMO has nothing to do with the 'bomb squad'.

• Like 1

Â