Paul Lambert

limpid

Has he built a better squad than the one he inherited?

Yes. He inherited a squad going on a downward slope and rebuilt it cheaply to a squad with potential to be on an upward slope.

And this is what I keep getting told. That's he's replaced players with better and that those bombed out weren't good enough either. So if he's built a better squad than McLeish had why is him surviving a success and McLeish a failure? We lose tomorrow and this season is worse than McLeish and with what I'm told is a better squad.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's built a better squad, i'd say he's built a squad as good as Mcleish's squad but it's been been on a small amount of money and has scope to be worth more than was paid for it. 

Yes. He inherited a squad going on a downward slope and rebuilt it cheaply to a squad with potential to be on an upward slope.
And this is what I keep getting told. That's he's replaced players with better and that those bombed out weren't good enough either. So if he's built a better squad than McLeish had why is him surviving a success and McLeish a failure? We lose tomorrow and this season is worse than McLeish and with what I'm told is a better squad.
McLeish did it with a team full of prem league players and wages.

Lambert did it on naff all.

But I'm told this squad is better. So regardless of wages, those supporting Lambert keep telling me the quality of players signed are better and that the bomb squad were useless.

But I'm told this squad is better. So regardless of wages, those supporting Lambert keep telling me the quality of players signed are better and that the bomb squad were useless.

Why can't you accept that some people just have a differing opinion to you? You don't have to keep banging on about it day after day it's really tedious.

I wouldn't necessarily say he's built a better squad, i'd say he's built a squad as good as Mcleish's squad but it's been been on a small amount of money and has scope to be worth more than was paid for it.

I think that's a fair view.

Why can't you accept that some people just have a differing opinion to you? You don't have to keep banging on about it day after day it's really tedious.

How is what I say any different to the same reasons given for Lambert struggling? Yet you have a go at me and not them.

How is what I say any different to the same reasons given for Lambert struggling? Yet you have a go at me and not them.

Some of the reasons given by other posters for why Lambert is struggling are also tedious, some of the straw clutching is embarrassing.

Where i currently stand is that Lambert has not done a good enough job over the last 2 years. Some of the tactical decisions and squad choices have been baffling to say the least. On the other hand I think Lerner has let him down massively with regards to wage restraints and small transfer budgets especially considering the amount of rebuilding that has been required.

My overall view is that IF Lambert stays he needs to be given a larger budget to add quality to the group now rather than quantity. He also needs to change the style of football ( hopefully that will come with better players). On the other hand, if he leaves I'll be disappointed that it didn't work out but i won't lose any sleep over it.

Genuinely think some of you are going to be in for a real shock if you think that there is actually a manager out there that could do much better than Lambert has given the injuries and suffocating restraints he has had to work under.

Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes say hi !

Both have done better and spent much less (Bruce got Hull promoted and safe in the Premier League and spent £32M in two years compared to £40M spent by lambert in the same period, Hughes signed 7 players and spent £7M at Stoke in his first season)

points total isn't that much different tbf
You've kind of missed the point, Bruce spent less and took a team from the championship into the premier league and they finished above us.

Hughes spent £7M on 7 players, completely changed Stokes style of play and finished comfortably above us.

The original poster was suggesting that financial constraints had held Lambett back and that no manager could have done better given the circumstances, these two managers archived considerably more in tougher circumstances.

So you would take `Potato Head` over Lambert as Villa Manager then?

Respectfully I suggest you have a good think before you give us your answer.

Respectfully, if the budget for the coming season is £20M then I'd trust Bruce to spend it and put together a team much more than I trust Lambert.
If you genuinely think you can compare Hughes and Bruce's situation to Lambert's then you're not grasping the situation at villa at all.

Bruce also said he wished his sagbo signing turned out as good as benteke. It didn't. Then the chairman gave him money to buy two premier league strikers and pay premiere league wages.

We aren't in that bracket anymore. We pay peanuts, and get players who may or may not work out. Fact. Wake up.

We dont really pay peanuts though do we?! The 2013 accounts show villa to have been paying the 8th highest in wages unless I'm mistaken. Lets be honest not many clubs wouldnt want benteke, we just got there first. And arguably you could say lambert has brought 1 class player in 17. **** steve bruce anyway the dirty geordie bluenose!

In a fair chunk of those games he clearly wasn't fit though. That's why he didn't score from September (his initial injury) and January, where he finally appeared to be properly fit. He was on fire after that right up until his current injury.

Mantis, i think your missing the point and the reason most fans want him gone. Even with a fit benteke we have the last 2 years played on the whole, terrible football. One dimensional, narrow, boring football. Also can you honestly say that any of the players he purchased in year 1 have improved in year 2?

Not at all, I'm just responding to a briny's point about points gained with Benteke in the team. It wasn't supposed to be some kind of big rebuke to everyone who wants him gone.

Yes, I think some have improved. Vlaar, KEA and arguably Westwood all have.

Mantis thanks for the response. With regards to the 3 players improving you have mentioned imo, kea hasnt, vlaar is the same, although you could say babysitting baker could be to blame for that. Westwood??!!! Maybe slightly, but not enough to impact our overall performances. But ok i'll concede a little ground.

How hasn't KEA? He's improved just as much as Sylla's regressed when compared to the second half of last season. Nobody's saying he's a world beater and in an ideal world he'd be a squad player at best but he has come on.

Vlaar definitely has come on as well.

• Like 2

. Also can you honestly say that any of the players he purchased in year 1 have improved in year 2?

karim-el-ahmadi-aston-villa-malaga_29904

Come on mate..... the only thing kea is good at is running around like a headless chicken!! Not good enough to wear the shirt.

Most interceptions in the opponents half in prem league. He breaks up play well.

KAE hasn't started in 7 of the 37 games this season. We picked up 4 points those 7 games with Hull being the first win. He's definitely improved this season, as has Westwood and Vlaar

Edited by kurtsimonw

In a fair chunk of those games he clearly wasn't fit though. That's why he didn't score from September (his initial injury) and January, where he finally appeared to be properly fit. He was on fire after that right up until his current injury.

Mantis, i think your missing the point and the reason most fans want him gone. Even with a fit benteke we have the last 2 years played on the whole, terrible football. One dimensional, narrow, boring football. Also can you honestly say that any of the players he purchased in year 1 have improved in year 2?
Not at all, I'm just responding to a briny's point about points gained with Benteke in the team. It wasn't supposed to be some kind of big rebuke to everyone who wants him gone.

Yes, I think some have improved. Vlaar, KEA and arguably Westwood all have.

Mantis thanks for the response. With regards to the 3 players improving you have mentioned imo, kea hasnt, vlaar is the same, although you could say babysitting baker could be to blame for that. Westwood??!!! Maybe slightly, but not enough to impact our overall performances. But ok i'll concede a little ground.

How hasn't KEA? He's improved just as much as Sylla's regressed when compared to the second half of last season. Nobody's saying he's a world beater and in an ideal world he'd be a squad player at best but he has come on.

Vlaar definitely has come on as well.

Were gonna have to agree to disagree mate! Its all opinions. And in an ideal kea wouldnt be at villa.

El Ahmadi is decent sometime and crap most of the times. The difference between him and players like Westwood is that KEA is 29 years old - he is at his peak, and it isn't very encouraging. Westwood is a decent player and he is 24, still a few years to reach a decent level in the Premier League. He isn't anywhere near where I want our midfielders to be, but he can reach it. Same with Lowton, 24 years old and turning 25 in a months' time. Still has time to get to that level where he should be to play for Villa, but KEA is 29 and finished. Get rid

If you genuinely think you can compare Hughes and Bruce's situation to Lambert's then you're not grasping the situation at villa at all.Bruce also said he wished his sagbo signing turned out as good as benteke. It didn't. Then the chairman gave him money to buy two premier league strikers and pay premiere league wages. We aren't in that bracket anymore. We pay peanuts, and get players who may or may not work out. Fact. Wake up.

What I think is that these are two managers at a level where they probably would have come to Villa who have proven they can work within tighter financial constraints than Paul Lambert has here, and they have instilled their tactics and footballing philosophy into their teams.

Yet neither have managed to beat us this season.

If you genuinely think you can compare Hughes and Bruce's situation to Lambert's then you're not grasping the situation at villa at all.Bruce also said he wished his sagbo signing turned out as good as benteke. It didn't. Then the chairman gave him money to buy two premier league strikers and pay premiere league wages. We aren't in that bracket anymore. We pay peanuts, and get players who may or may not work out. Fact. Wake up.

What I think is that these are two managers at a level where they probably would have come to Villa who have proven they can work within tighter financial constraints than Paul Lambert has here, and they have instilled their tactics and footballing philosophy into their teams.

As much as I want to forget about it, Hughes did beat us this season, very convincingly :(

• Like 1

1 win in 8 games soon to be 1 win in 9 games sounds like a downward slope.

In all honesty, I am reserving my judgement of Lambert (if he stays) once I see him get one or two quality attacking players. I want to see how we play with the ball at our feet during longer periods of possession. I have at times seen glimpses (and I am sure many of you have) of nice silky play and effective counter attacking football and I do wonder whether he can build upon that and sustain it. 

If Lambert gets the funds to bring in quality players and our playing style doesn't develop or results remain tediously inconsistent then maybe it will be time for him to go. However, I do feel that injuries to some of our more valuable players, the lack of investment and management issues have made his job hard and must hold some weight in our criticism of him.    

Sorry ? I was certain Stoke recently best us 4-1 at Villa Park

Sorry ? I was certain Stoke recently best us 4-1 at Villa Park

And beat us 2-1 at their place too!

Can I have next week's lottery numbers please?

Can I have next week's lottery numbers please?

Do you doubt his comment?

• Like 1

Â