Paul Lambert

limpid

It just shows how bad he's done when you read the quite pathetic defence that the few fans of this manager throw out.

So the posts which you don't agree with are evidence you are right. Hmmmm :)

I think those that offer some defence of Lambert are simply trying to add a level of balance to this thread because it so frequently has none.

But whenever anyone tries to do this they tend to get rounded on and labelled, (which is against the site guidelines folks please note).

It would be impossible to say things are going well at the moment or to argue that Lambert holds no blame for it, quite evidently he does. But some people, myself included think his tenure is a symptom of the problems at the club rather than the cause.

No question Lambert has made mistakes and bad decisions at times but even Lerner has admitted he has done what was asked of him. The problem is that while Faulkner was still talking about Europe these last few years the reality was that the brief for Lambert was to cut costs and stay in the PL for a couple of years. It not been enjoyable in the slightest but that is what he has done.

Now I'm not happy with that as a brief, I'm not happy with that as the expectation level of the club and I'm not happy with a lot of the performances or some of the signings.

But I still think Lambert is a decent manager and will either here or elsewhere prove that to be the case. I expect that will cause some to want to label me a Lambert lover or something equally infantile but it really isn't the case. I've have been and will continue to be critical of him but at times I think this thread seriously lacks balance, context and reason.

I don't think it lacks balance. He's been atrocious. I don't think there are any valid reasons to defend him over this and I don't think there's any context that you could put this season in that makes it less worse. There have been so many lows over these 2 years and now it looks like he's going. The balance that tries to be added seems to ignore most facts and evidence and just seems a desperate attempt to keep arguing for such a failure of a manager.

It just shows how bad he's done when you read the quite pathetic defence that the few fans of this manager throw out.

I think those that offer some defence of Lambert are simply trying to add a level of balance to this thread because it so frequently has none.

But whenever anyone tries to do this they tend to get rounded on and labelled, (which is against the site guidelines folks please note).

It would be impossible to say things are going well at the moment or to argue that Lambert holds no blame for it, quite evidently he does. But some people, myself included think his tenure is a symptom of the problems at the club rather than the cause.

No question Lambert has made mistakes and bad decisions at times but even Lerner has admitted he has done what was asked of him. The problem is that while Faulkner was still talking about Europe these last few years the reality was that the brief for Lambert was to cut costs and stay in the PL for a couple of years. It not been enjoyable in the slightest but that is what he has done.

Now I'm not happy with that as a brief, I'm not happy with that as the expectation level of the club and I'm not happy with a lot of the performances or some of the signings.

But I still think Lambert is a decent manager and will either here or elsewhere prove that to be the case. I expect that will cause some to want to label me a Lambert lover or something equally infantile but it really isn't the case. I've have been and will continue to be critical of him but at times I think this thread seriously lacks balance, context and reason.

I don't think it lacks balance. He's been atrocious. I don't think there are any valid reasons to defend him over this and I don't think there's any context that you could put this season in that makes it less worse. There have been so many lows over these 2 years and now it looks like he's going. The balance that tries to be added seems to ignore most facts and evidence and just seems a desperate attempt to keep arguing for such a failure of a manager.

You seem to forget that it's about opinions, do you expect everyone to just turn around and say OK I agree with you, get rid of him.

Even if you think he has been atrocious you must surely see that he has been doing what the club wanted him to do? He has worked to his constraints. Now just a hypothetical for you. We stay up and Lerner comes out and says we've been sold to very rich owner and says if it wasn't for Lambert getting the wage bill down and keeping us in the Prem it wouldn't have happened would you still think he's done an atrocious job?

• Like 1

If we had a full squad from start to finish without injures , where do you think we would finish ?

I would say 12-14th

I thought 10th-14th with a firing Benteke maybe a bit higher. Still a chance aswell.

Has he really cut the wage bill?

Aren't a number of the higher earners (the bomb squad he chose not to play) still on the payroll and so has he added a bunch of second rate players to the wage bill?

• Like 1

Aren't a number of the higher earners (the bomb squad he chose not to play) still on the payroll and so has he added a bunch of second rate players to the wage bill?

Seems so as the wage bill has actually risen over the past few years and Lerner is still having to bankroll the club to the tune of £50m a year? Maybe a better brief would have been to get the bomb squad performing  and then add a few quality players to the squad?

Seems so as the wage bill has actually risen over the past few years and Lerner is still having to bankroll the club to the tune of £50m a year? Maybe a better brief would have been to get the bomb squad performing  and then add a few quality players to the squad?

The reason I ask is that it appears to be used in defence of Lambert.

I thought it had been posted and confirmed elsewhere that the wage bill has actually gone up?

Can someone confirm this once and for all. 

Look at the new accounts thread started today on the front page. Only a small rise from £70m to £72m but not really the great cutbacks that have 'hampered' Lambert's progress? They are from 2013 and we have got rid of Dunne, Bent and Ireland since but given raises to Benteke, Weimann, Westwood, Lowton and signed a few others in the summer. I would be surprised if there is much difference in the 2014 accounts with regard to wages.

Bit of a myth this reduction in wages me thinks?

The reason I ask is that it appears to be used in defence of Lambert.

One of the really big 'excuses'!

My hope is that we win (or at least draw) against Hull tomorrow and that our Premier League survival is guaranteed for next season then we can sack Lambert without it having any affect on the remainder of the season.

If we lose tomorrow then he should be sacked immediately.

• Like 1

Excellent post. This post almost compensates having to trawl through pages of bickering.

• Like 1

Well said, I don't post as much in here due to becoming tired of answering the question 'how can you still support our manager?' To only get the response well you're wrong.

That seems to go changed to 'who cares he's gone at the end of the season'.

Fwiw I still think he'll be manager next season and he'll have my support 100%.

Same here. At times I feel like I'm the only Villa fan that wants Lambert to stay. I'm convinced he'll get it right and that this is just some short term pain that we need to go through for a longer term gain. Just because a football club is in transition doesn't mean that transition lasts only one season. (Which seems to be the notion among football fans).

Granted he gets things wrong, but who doesn't? Plus it's easy for people to say he should be playing Hutton or Nzogbia or Bent now they've not played for us for a year, but I remember them being shit when they played for Villa, so would we be any better off? I doubt it. Players seem to get better by not playing these days.

• Like 2

He bought Bennett, he turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped and so then he bought Luna who turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped and so he then loaned Bertrand.

He bought Lowton, he turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped so he moved a midfielder into his position.

He bought Tonev, he turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped.

He bought Sylla, he turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped.

He bought Hellenius, he turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped.

He bought Bowery, he turned out to be not good enough so he got dropped.

Apologies if I have missed anyone of any relevance.

Lambert hasn't succeeded on the field or off. I f you don't do the coaching then you'd better be a shit hot man manager and motivator, that is clearly not the case. Sadly almost two years later Lambert has shown himself unable to improve a poor squad and unable to control his own coaching staff. Randy didn't support PL sufficiently and left him hung out to dry, but even so Lambert has not been a good enough manager.

• Like 1

I am up to here (neck) with PL but people are so one sided in their views.  As with everything there is a balance between the differing opinions on here. Trent for once :-) has it spot on. 

Â