Paul Lambert

limpid

47% loss rate and the worst home form in the 140 year history of the club and its ignorant to want him sacked?

Laughable really.

Not ignorant no.

Short sighted, reactionary, counter productive and unnecesary. Yes.

For fans like yourself who have extremely low expectations maybe.

Fans like me? Please explain.....

47% loss rate and the worst home form in the 140 year history of the club and its ignorant to want him sacked?

Laughable really.

Not ignorant no.

For fans like yourself who have extremely low expectations maybe.

Fans like me? Please explain.....

Thought I did with the low expectations bit.

Laughable really.

Not ignorant no.

And do not forget opportunistic.  :D

Laughable really.

Not ignorant no.

Short sighted?? Ha!

Have you any pride in the club left??

Laughable really.

Not ignorant no.

Short sighted?? Ha!

Have you any pride in the club left??

Whats pride got to do with it and how can you tell I don't have any?

I think it's far easier to defend him if you don't physically attend and sit through the dross dished up each week at VP.

Why?

Isn't that blatantly obvious ?

No. It isn't. Please explain.

I think it's far easier to defend him if you don't physically attend and sit through the dross dished up each week at VP.

Why?

If you PAY to go and watch this heap of shit, you are clearly going to suffer more than those that don't.

Did that really need pointing out ?

If you sit at home and listen to the match on radio/TV you aren't going to feel the full force anguish and shitstorm as you are at the ground obviously.

• Like 1

I've done it myself when I've been at away games that have say cost me £100 all in, to see the players and manager go through the motions with a gutless display , pathetic tactics and substitutions , I've left the ground fuming and with an empty wallet

It's far less hurtful when we do that and I've watched on a laptop

Here we go, the 'low expectation' nonsense. Shouting down anyone who disagrees with you.

The truly annoying thing about the constant posting of "low expectations" is that there no qualitative element behind it.  There's no "I expect to finish <x> so be finishing <y> is just completely unacceptable", it's just a dig for no reason whatsoever.

Pathetic posting to be honest.

• Like 1

Why?

If you PAY to go and watch this heap of shit, you are clearly going to suffer more than those that don't.

Did that really need pointing out ?

If you sit at home and listen to the match on radio/TV you aren't going to feel the full force anguish and shitstorm as you are at the ground obviously.

I pay, I'm a season ticket holder. I've not seen a shitstorm - there have been a couple of occassions where there's been chanting against the manager, there have been some awful games, some drab rubbish and some entertainment. I watch the away games on TV and don't go, we're much better away than at home. does that mean it's easier to defend the manager if you attend away games?

• Like 1

I know I will be outnumbered but I actually think he is doing a good job. Only 5 players are good enough for this level. Even if Mourinho was in charge the club would still be in a similar position.

I agree.

I think the remit he's had to work under is probably the most difficult in the premier league. He's had to rebuild the club from the ground up in a manner that will help us succeed in the long term (i.e. young players) and has been given a pittance to worth with AND has to meet the expectations of the fans (top half finishes at the very least) AND has to get the team playing good football.

Trying to accomplish any two of those objectives would be a tough job, three would be a challenge for even the very best managers, but to accomplish all four is practically impossible, and would take a manager of Mourinho or Guardiola's quality to achieve.

I would say that more than 5 of our players are good enough for this level. I think we forget how young this team is, they are one of the youngest sides to ever play top flight football in this country. Even the lads that haven't shined so far could potentially go on to be very good players once they've matured, the talent is clearly there for most of them. I also think that a lot of these young players would do fine if they were playing alongside more experienced colleagues, instead of fellow youngsters.

I'm not saying Lambert is perfect, FAR from it, and I'm not saying he should be immune from some pretty heavy criticism, but to say he deserves the sack is to ignore the larger issues at the club and to be ignorant to the remit he's been asked to work under, which will NOT change if a new manager comes in.

We are all familiar with all these issues that get raised over and over again in this thread. I think it is an extreme exaggeration to say that Lambert had to rebuild the club from ground up" - he had experienced players such as Gabby, Guzan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Baker and Herd to draw on. I've got a feeling he does actually see his job as "rebuilding the club" (HairyHands said as much in a post before he bombed himself out of the site) but I think this is a delusion - he won't be around long enough to rebuild anything. I'd rather he concentrated on getting a squad that could just get us more consistent results.

It's also OTT to say that he has had a pittance to spend. He's had about £40m, hasn't he? It is his choice to have so many inexperienced players in the squad - he chose to put a number of our experienced players into exile and he spent the money on players without premier league experience. As you say yourself,

a lot of these young players would do fine if they were playing alongside more experienced colleagues, instead of fellow youngsters.

So don't you think it would have been better to have brought in some more experienced heads from the start, if only on loan (an approach he now finally seems to have grasped)?

Nobody's saying Lambert hasn't faced a difficult situation at the club, though not one as extreme as you set out, but the belief that he has handled it as well as might be expected (and, as some say, is the ONLY manager who could do the job) lacks credibility in my view given the poor, inconsistent, up and down results we have had, especially at home - home results should be the absolute bedrock of a club looking to improve and perform more solidly .

When you look at what a manager like Tony Pulis has done at Crystal Palace, who had a weak and chaotic squad when he took over, and looked doomed to relegation, you can see that there are other managerial approaches to dealing with the sort of position we are in, that can be more effective because they are more pragmatic and more focused on just getting consistency and a run of results.

I doubt whether Pulis talks about a "project" but you wouldn't now want to bet on Palace finishing below us this season

Saved me the bother. Brilliant post.

Â