Paul Lambert

limpid

Also, as I often point out, I think the style of football is getting blown out of proportion. It's been pretty bad a lot of the time, but even then I still think it gets exaggerated now

its really not. the football in recent weeks is horribe, negative, safety first crap and reminds me of us under McLeish in them last 3 or 4 months

Thats not true is it, as the first half in our last game was not that. It was pressing, counter attacking football and created 4 or 5 chances.

As has been said, its being exaggerated.

Football is a 90 minute game, and Villa seem incapable of playing decent football for a whole game.

Also, as I often point out, I think the style of football is getting blown out of proportion. It's been pretty bad a lot of the time, but even then I still think it gets exaggerated now

its really not. the football in recent weeks is horribe, negative, safety first crap and reminds me of us under McLeish in them last 3 or 4 months
Thats not true is it, as the first half in our last game was not that. It was pressing, counter attacking football and created 4 or 5 chances.As has been said, its being exaggerated.

And this is exactly why I can no longer defend Lambert. Yes the first half wasn't to bad. So what happened in the second half. Back to the shite that's what! McLeish style, thinking a draw 0-0 will will be good enough!!

I wasn't talking about just recent weeks, I'm talking about the season in general. I'm not even denying that we've played some very poor football this season, but it's got to a point where it's become a bit of a thing and thus does exaggerated by some. I also think the hoofball gets exaggerated a bit, and before I get a bunch of statistics thrown in my face I'm not denying that we've played a lot of hoofball this season.

Apart from one ten minute period against the barcodes our football in that game was garbage and we haven't been able to put together a 90 minute performance in a very long time so there's no exaggeration at all.

No one denied that we were poor overall against Newcastle or that we've been incapable of playing good football for an entire game. Doesn't mean it doesn't get exaggerated a bit though.

Apart from one ten minute period against the barcodes our football in that game was garbage and we haven't been able to put together a 90 minute performance in a very long time so there's no exaggeration at all.

No one denied that we were poor overall against Newcastle or that we've been incapable of playing good football for an entire game. Doesn't mean it doesn't get exaggerated a bit though.

I think it says something about the abilities of Lambert and Culverhouse as coaches and tacticians.

I think it says something about the abilities of Lambert and Culverhouse as coaches and tacticians.

This 100x.

If our bad play is so exaggerated why don't you list all the games we've played well in. And if you're going to ignore facts about long ball why don't you list the games in which we tried to play passing football.

Should be easy to list loads if its as exaggerated as you continue to claim.

If our bad play is so exaggerated why don't you list all the games we've played well in. And if you're going to ignore facts about long ball why don't you list the games in which we tried to play passing football.

Should be easy to list loads if its as exaggerated as you continue to claim.

Nice to see words being put into my mouth yet again.

It's funny how I can say something (like how I think it's exaggerated A BIT) and almost the exact opposite gets interpreted. It seems like you just want to find some sort of disagreement.

Edited by Mantis

Lambert is every bit as bad as, if not worse than McLeish.  We may as well have stuck with the hapless McLeish if we should just automatically keep a manager for three years, no matter how badly they perform.

You've said its exaggerated. If it is tell us the games we've played well in and played decent football in. If its exaggerated like you claim surely you can do this easily.

Your post made out as if I said it was exaggerated massively, which wasn't the case at all. I actually agree with the general sentiment that we've played poor football this season and I wouldn't say that we've been decent in a great deal of our games, I just don't think we've always been quite as bad as some make out.

I think you think I disagree with you much more than is actually the case.

You've said its exaggerated. If it is tell us the games we've played well in and played decent football in. If its exaggerated like you claim surely you can do this easily.

So you think that it's a case of either playing really well or really badly and there's no middle ground?

Yes, this is exactly my point. As it happens I'm not even on the middle on this, which makes this argument even more bizarre. As I said previously, I do agree with the general sentiment that our football has been poor this season. However, as is often the case with VT people jump to extremes and seem mystified by anything in between. On a scale of 1-10 on how poor I think our football has been this season (with 10 being the poorest) I'd probably be at around 8. Most of VT (or at least the most vocal) seems to be at 10.

If we don't beat Norwich, I think my patience with Lambert will finally run out.

It will be the third time this season we've gone 5 games without a win, and no matter what situation we may be in, that's not acceptable. And with the 3 games that follow, it could well be only 1 win in 8 (if we beat Stoke, which I think we can). I still like Lambert and think he could be a good manager for us, but he needs to really show over the next few weeks.

I'm not sure I'd want him sacked before the end of the season, I don't think that would help our situation one bit, but if we don't go on some sort of good run, I think we should cut our losses come May. I want him here in the summer, and I want to see how he could do with a biggish budget to spend on just 3/4 first teamers, but he really needs to pull out all the stops over the last 10 games imo.

The style of football I can put up with, but like with McLeish, providing it actually gets results. I've said before, I couldn't give a shit if we had 1% possession with 1 shot on target each game, if it meant we won every game 1-0. But we simply aren't currently.

Hopefully Lerner sells up in the summer, I don't think we'll ever progress under him again, as despite liking the attitude of "buy young and cheap, sell experienced and expensive" I don't think Lerner will ever allow us to progress onto the next stage of "buy young and expensive-ish" first team players.

I guess maybe this season things have not perhaps gone to plan tactically but you have to remember, Bennett, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar, KEA have only had 1 PL season under their belts.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

We just all need to be patient while this ship is sailed out of the stormy waters it has been in.

Everyone knew it was not going to be a quick fix.

Everyone knew a rebuilding process had to happen.

Everyone was happy to give Lambert time to do this.

I don't think after 2 seasons it is enough.I see it happen too many times at too many clubs.. the manager is just about on the brink to take the club forward onto the next level and for whatever reason.. boom! he's sacked!

2/5 clubs actually benefit from it!

I personally can't be arsed with the whole dilemma again of Lambert out, new manager in, clear out starts, more players are purchased on a shoe string budget (like any manager will be on that takes the B6 hotseat.. we then go through all the bullshit.. "he needs a year or 2 to make us top 4 candidates!"..

Have we not had enough of this bullshit in the last 3 seasons??... or 15 if we really want to look at the history books.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Build from the bottom and work to the top.

Yes there will be brilliant signings along the way, there will be shit signings.

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick, all turned out to be top signings.. also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Every manager signs gems, every manager also signs clowns, its sorting the gems from the clowns and building the winning formula is the magic part of it all. Lambert will make a success of us yet.

Ha ha! Lambert is far from on the brink of taking this club forward! It started to look like it end of last season, but now we have digressed so much that moment seems far far away.
Yes we've digressed so much that we're on the same points.
So there's been no progression really from last season's relegation battle?

If there's been no progression we've certainly not digressed!

And for those saying why give him 3 years?

Because the first 2 years was always going to be about sorting out the crap. I'm aware that Lambert has signed some of it and I'm sure he recognises than and will try to move them on in the summer and replace them with better options. But some of you aren't giving this opportunity and just beating him with a stick over some signings.

I wasn't talking about just recent weeks, I'm talking about the season in general. I'm not even denying that we've played some very poor football this season, but it's got to a point where it's become a bit of a thing and thus does exaggerated by some. I also think the hoofball gets exaggerated a bit, and before I get a bunch of statistics thrown in my face I'm not denying that we've played a lot of hoofball this season.

Well I don't think hoofball is spoke of enough to be honest. It seems to be our only tactic, week in week out.

Guzan ----> Benteke ----> fight for second ball. 

That's all we do. There's the odd occasion where we don't do that. WBA for example is the only game I can think of. (even then we did it quite a lot tbf)

Edited by PieFacE

Well I don't think hoofball is spoke of enough to be honest. It seems to be our only tactic, week in week out.

Guzan ----> Benteke ----> fight for second ball. 

That's all we do. There's the odd occasion where we don't do that. WBA for example is the only game I can think of. (even then we did it quite a lot tbf)

This is my point. We certainly do that more than I'd like but not as much as some make out.

So you think that it's a case of either playing really well or really badly and there's no middle ground?

Of course but if you're going to ignore facts and keep claiming its exaggerated I would think you could name the games in which we played well or didn't hoof the ball.

Â