Paul Lambert

limpid

I see that Howard Hodgson says how he liked to 'advise Faulkner from afar' on football matters. Knowing only a little about the man, I wondered what his qualifications were to advise on such matters? Is he an experienced football manager, scout, player or administrator? 

To be fair Faulkner don't seem to have many footballing qualifications either. If he did he would never have agreed to the signing of mcLeish

Oh I agree that no-one on the board really has any football experience, and it is a problem. I just wasn't so sure taking advice from Howard Hodgson was going to change that situation. 

I guess maybe this season things have not perhaps gone to plan tactically but you have to remember, Bennett, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar, KEA have only had 1 PL season under their belts.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

We just all need to be patient while this ship is sailed out of the stormy waters it has been in.

Everyone knew it was not going to be a quick fix.

Everyone knew a rebuilding process had to happen.

Everyone was happy to give Lambert time to do this.

I don't think after 2 seasons it is enough.

I see it happen too many times at too many clubs.. the manager is just about on the brink to take the club forward onto the next level and for whatever reason.. boom! he's sacked!

2/5 clubs actually benefit from it!

I personally can't be arsed with the whole dilemma again of Lambert out, new manager in, clear out starts, more players are purchased on a shoe string budget (like any manager will be on that takes the B6 hotseat.. we then go through all the bullshit.. "he needs a year or 2 to make us top 4 candidates!"..

Have we not had enough of this bullshit in the last 3 seasons??... or 15 if we really want to look at the history books.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Build from the bottom and work to the top.

Yes there will be brilliant signings along the way, there will be shit signings.

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick,  all turned out to be top signings..  also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Every manager signs gems, every manager also signs clowns, its sorting the gems from the clowns and building the winning formula is the magic part of it all. Lambert will make a success of us yet.

I guess maybe this season things have not perhaps gone to plan tactically but you have to remember, Bennett, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar, KEA have only had 1 PL season under their belts.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

We just all need to be patient while this ship is sailed out of the stormy waters it has been in.

I see it happen too many times at too many clubs.. the manager is just about on the brink to take the club forward onto the next level and for whatever reason.. boom! he's sacked!

I personally can't be arsed with the whole dilemma again of Lambert out, new manager in, clear out starts, more players are purchased on a shoe string budget (like any manager will be on that takes the B6 hotseat.. we then go through all the bullshit.. "he needs a year or 2 to make us top 4 candidates!"..

Have we not had enough of this bullshit in the last 3 seasons??... or 15 if we really want to look at the history books.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Yes there will be brilliant signings along the way, there will be shit signings.

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick,  all turned out to be top signings..  also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Every manager signs gems, every manager also signs clowns, its sorting the gems from the clowns and building the winning formula is the magic part of it all. Lambert will make a success of us yet.

Ha ha! Lambert is far from on the brink of taking this club forward! It started to look like it end of last season, but now we have digressed so much that moment seems far far away.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick, all turned out to be top signings.. also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Ha ha! Lambert is far from on the brink of taking this club forward! It started to look like it end of last season, but now we have digressed so much that moment seems far far away.

Yes we've digressed so much that we're on the same points.

Add Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore (Who we have not even really seen yet!) to the rest of the young lads in Delph, Herd, Clarke, Baker, Weimann, Bowry & Albrighton,

Come what is left for the beginning of next season will be a set of youngsters with 2 seasons of 1st team PL ex. under their belts, The first set of signings of Lamberts 1st season will also have 2 seasons under there belts and the last lot will come on from there 1st season with us and start to gel in well like the first lot did, okay some won't make the cut and be sold, but more reinforcements will be added again at the end of this season and next season in what will be Lamberts 3rd season we will then actually start to see everything start to click into place.

I said it at the start of Lamberts tenure that we are doing now is what Arsenal awere doing when Wenger walked through their doors 20 odd years ago!

Alex F.. Stam, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney, Carrick, all turned out to be top signings.. also followed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Hargreaves, Veyron, Poborsky, etc.

Yes we've digressed so much that we're on the same points.

Ohhh sorry! I didn't realise the progression was that good!! Next time i'll try and stay awake at our home games???

Good post, when he came in I gave him 3 years, he's still got 15 months to go.

We could be a mid table championship by then. Lambert isnt the manager we all thought he was and he'll go down as one of the worst in recent memory along with mcleish imo.

Just depends how long we have to suffer with him before hes sacked.

I admire the positivity from some.

it can take longer than 3 years....but during that time you should see bits of progress in the players that effects the whole team performances.

you don't suddenly finish a season shit and start the next one like world beaters after the statutory 3/4/5 years time period....it happens gradually.

There is no progress in the players ability.

• Like 4

Lambert needs another yet. 

it can take longer than 3 years....but during that time you should see bits of progress in the players that effects the whole team performances.

you don't suddenly finish a season shit and start the next one like world beaters after the statutory 3/4/5 years time period....it happens gradually.

Let's wait until season's end to assess such things as players' abilities.

Howard Hodgson has wrote an article about our situation. I thought it was a pretty decent read.

http://avillafan.com/site/11469/the-hodgson-report-on-aston-villa-11-years-after-the-original/

While I can't shake the feeling that Howard is angling to be one of the "Aston Villa people who understand the club, the fans and the game on the board" .....

... I also cannot disagree with his assessment. In particular, the way in which criticism is met with a banning from all things AVFC is extremely worrying - especially when it is from one who is close to the board.

I see that Howard Hodgson says how he liked to 'advise Faulkner from afar' on football matters. Knowing only a little about the man, I wondered what his qualifications were to advise on such matters? Is he an experienced football manager, scout, player or administrator? 

Fan with a business brain,and been watching villa all his life...... but i guess he thinks he might as well say something from a high profile position rather than sit back and see all around him flounder.

folk out of their depth, rarely accept constructive criticism as a helping hand.

• Like 2

Howard Hodgson has wrote an article about our situation. I thought it was a pretty decent read.

http://avillafan.com/site/11469/the-hodgson-report-on-aston-villa-11-years-after-the-original/

While I can't shake the feeling that Howard is angling to be one of the "Aston Villa people who understand the club, the fans and the game on the board" .....

... I also cannot disagree with his assessment. In particular, the way in which criticism is met with a banning from all things AVFC is extremely worrying - especially when it is from one who is close to the board.

don't fall in to that trap OZ....I can assure you he doesn't, but like a ship that is heading for the rocks, if no one is steering, as a paying passenger, you would leap from your deck chair and turn the wheel.

anyone at the moment with a bit of football Nous will offer help, because its clear its out of control.

• Like 1

I love your optimism however what you haven't thought about or not mentioned is, all the players mentioned who are in their second premier season, which one has actually improved on their first season? Bennett, Westwood, Benteke, Lowton, Vlaar, KEA? IMO probably taking Vlaar out the mix the rest have been shitter second time round. So if Helanius, Luna, Kozak, Tonev, Bacuna, Sylla, Okore take after the formers we are possibley in for a crap year 3 also - progression eh!

Look, without doubt the players should get better however you need good technical and tactical information and coaching as a basis to improve. Something Lambert and his staff appear to be lacking in. He hasn't improved individuals, our organisation, balance and in my opinion still isn't picking the strongest team. We have had far more options in the squad than last season yet incredibly still see the same bullshit like for like changes and mistakes week after week.

I want any Villa manager to succeed however I will not follow the blind, or a manager that has shown me nothing in 2 years(apart from a couple of games) to suggest my club/ team is in good hands under his leadership. Up to now all I have seen is that Lambert can manage a budget and bore the sh*t out of the supporters  - That makes him more of an accountant than a manager imo.

Good post, when he came in I gave him 3 years, he's still got 15 months to go.

We could be a mid table championship by then. Lambert isnt the manager we all thought he was and he'll go down as one of the worst in recent memory along with mcleish imo.

Just depends how long we have to suffer with him before hes sacked.

And Billy McNeill - Seems to be a theme here.......?

I'll give him until Xmas max (provided we stay up). If we haven't started playing something resembling football by then, then it's thanks but no thanks.

Under Graham Taylor in 88/89 we avoided relegation in our last game of the season. The following season we finished runners up.

Under Graham Taylor in 88/89 we avoided relegation in our last game of the season. The following season we finished runners up.

Can't see us finishing runners up for a while can you? Plus Paul lambert is most definitely not SGT!

Can't see us finishing runners up for a while can you? Plus Paul lambert is most definitely not SGT!

No I can't, just pointing out that two seasons can be drastically different and the change isn't always gradual.

This squad have shown that they can play some good football at times. They need to start producing the good stuff with more consistency, especially at home.

With the right additions in the summer, if Lambert is backed properly after cutting the wage bill, then it's not impossible to see a marked improvement next season. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There were bound to be ups and downs both in regards the team and individual players. But just because players have had a difficult second season doesn't mean that they won't improve from this. Obviously there's no guarantees that they will, it just depends on how patient you are I suppose as to whether you're willing to give them and lambert time.

Personally I think he's done an ok job in very difficult circumstances but with the wages now under control I would expect next season to be the make or break.

• Like 1

Â