Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

6 minutes ago, bose said:

Thought Poland were absolutely fantastic the first 15-20 minutes. Sad they've gone out.

They fizzle out a bit once leading, was same v Swiss who dominated 2nd half and were unlucky not to get through.

Portugal getting to the final without winning a game in 120 minutes would be ridiculous.

Must be the only team in major tournament history in the semis without winning a game surely?

what a farce the new format is

polish fans fantastic in the club I was in. Chanting dziękujemy (we thank you) at TV after the game

they'll be back

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Must be the only team in major tournament history in the semis without winning a game surely?

what a farce the new format is

polish fans fantastic in the club I was in. Chanting dziękujemy (we thank you) at TV after the game

they'll be back

Paraguay got to Copa America final in 2011 without winning a game

• Like 1

On 29/06/2016 at 12:56, TRO said:

....Its called elitism.

Isn't it basically the same as any multi tiered league system evs? In order to work your way to the top you have to show that you can consistently beat teams previously considered better than you.

It's pretty much the entire basis of football as we know it. 

Portugal beat Croatia.  They didn't do it in 90 minutes but then "extra time" is not part of the new format.  It was always perfectly possible to reach a later stage by winning in extra time.  It's also not unprecedented to get out of a group winning no games *cough Italy 90 Ireland*.  So while this new format has definitely contributed towards dull safe cagey performances, it has got nothing to do with the fact that Portugal are where they are, or how they got there.  Pick your battles!

59 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Another shite game, yawn, what a crap tournament this is.

Too many games really. Its hard for teams without strong squads to manager their players through the tournament. 

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

n5j9k5.png

And I can't believe everyone's favourite Scrabble word missed his penalty.  He'd probably consistently been their POTT up to that point.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I'm secretly proud I can pronounce all of their names now :D

I think you need to work on the word 'secretly' ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Another shite game, yawn, what a crap tournament this is.

First half was alright but poor afterwards.

Anyone think extra time should be scrapped now. I know penalties aren't ideal but at least it produces a result. Both extra time games I've watched hardly anyone has attacked.

With players knackered at 90 minutes, I think extra 30 mins is a waste of time now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

First half was alright but poor afterwards.

Anyone think extra time should be scrapped now. I know penalties aren't ideal but at least it produces a result. Both extra time games I've watched hardly anyone has attacked.

With players knackered at 90 minutes, I think extra 30 mins is a waste of time now.

Definitely should be scrapped, it's boring and only serves to tire teams out for future games, which negatively impacts the quality of said games. ET was actually a lot more exciting when it had the golden goal.

Â