Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Conte has been brilliant in this tournament and he has brought this Italy team this far. Said before if gets right next season Chelsea will walk away with title

He has done a ridiculous job. His system is working to perfection and teams don't know what to do against it (keep in mind he's had big injuries as well) and he has a great unity in his team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bose said:

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Nice after the match. The most unbelievable experience of my life! I literally still don't believe what we've done. England might have been poor but our performance was excellent. Bring on the French.

Having heard of the crowd trouble earlier in the tournament, I want to say that the England fans I met both before and after the match were some of the friendliest people I have met. Top people.

Congrats. Enjoy it, you deserve it. :thumb:

Like watching a better version of Villa.

No movement OFF the ball, in fact no committed work OFF the ball at all.....this was highlighted by the appalling defensive work.....Defensive work has a large part of working off the ball allied with a togetherness and organisation.....this was all missing and it subsequently ripped through the confidence of the team.

Some of the old stalwarts of football always said you build from the back.....get your defensive unit right first.

We could all do well to revisit that philosophy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bose said:

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Nice after the match. The most unbelievable experience of my life! I literally still don't believe what we've done. England might have been poor but our performance was excellent. Bring on the French.

Having heard of the crowd trouble earlier in the tournament, I want to say that the England fans I met both before and after the match were some of the friendliest people I have met. Top people.

Conratulations for a fine performance.

We used to have that kind of approach to a game both England and Villa......We seemed to have a abandoned  it for a more self indulgent style of expansive football that we can only execute when an opponent is yards away from us.....we call it progress.....I'm tempted to say regress.

The work off the ball for us( England/Villa) seems a distant memory.....It seems all the coaches know, but don't insist on getting it implemented.

Its like a lazy bunch of fat cats think its beyond them to chase lost causes or make a run where they don't get the ball.....its all static as opposed to dynamic.

Iceland showed us the virtues that we are missing, you had a plan a passion and a will to execute it all, the desire was clear for all to see and the way you carried out the David and Goliath re-run was admirable.

Bravo.

I wish Iceland well against France and hope you come out on top.

ps I think your fish fingers are the best too.lol:)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He has done a ridiculous job. His system is working to perfection and teams don't know what to do against it (keep in mind he's had big injuries as well) and he has a great unity in his team.

They also have defensive capability in their DNA

You only have to watch the organisation and the individual reading of the game ( when they are without the ball) is an education in itself.

Its not always "eye Candy" but the Italians know how to play Tournament Football......They are past masters of the spider to the fly, press you in to mistakes and smash and grab.

They work OFF the ball better than most teams, particularly in defence.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TRO said:

They also have defensive capability in their DNA

You only have to watch the organisation and the individual reading of the game ( when they are without the ball) is an education in itself.

Its not always "eye Candy" but the Italians know how to play Tournament Football......They are past masters of the spider to the fly, press you in to mistakes and smash and grab.

They work OFF the ball better than most teams, particularly in defence.

One of the reasons Serie A is my favourite league. It might not be as star-studded as it was 15 years ago, but the entire league is just a tactical chess match with a clashes of totally different systems and styles. The national team is a pretty good representation of it. How many teams play with 2 out and out strikers these days? That's without the 3 at the back, flat 3 in midfield with no #10 and so on.

Off the ball we are so shit though. Look at Icelands second goal. The entire move, there was only 1 instance of real pressing and that was from Danny Rose. Everyone else just sort of watched.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

since last October, Ireland have played 7 teams in competitive matches and 5 are in the quarter finals :blink:

think our players can be proud of their effort of a tough qualifying and group stage

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

since last October, Ireland have played 7 teams in competitive matches and 5 are in the quarter finals :blink:

think our players can be proud of their effort of a tough qualifying and group stage

Wow that is impressive. 

You d wonder how well we do if we managed to up our seeding and get a handy group like England.

In many ways it's a viscous cycle. You have a low seeding meaning you play much better teams, making it harder to qualify, meaning your seeding stays low. Repeat.

10 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

One of the reasons Serie A is my favourite league. It might not be as star-studded as it was 15 years ago, but the entire league is just a tactical chess match with a clashes of totally different systems and styles. The national team is a pretty good representation of it. How many teams play with 2 out and out strikers these days? That's without the 3 at the back, flat 3 in midfield with no #10 and so on.

Off the ball we are so shit though. Look at Icelands second goal. The entire move, there was only 1 instance of real pressing and that was from Danny Rose. Everyone else just sort of watched.

There will be fans that would baulk at the thought of watching Italian football every week.....as opinions vary.....

but boy! do they know the art of defensive capability..... we conversely have abandoned it.......and you can use that WE for Villa /England.

they have defensive skills we can only dream off, but it seems the populist eye is only trained on offensive skills.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, heffoman said:

Wow that is impressive. 

You d wonder how well we do if we managed to up our seeding and get a handy group like England.

In many ways it's a viscous cycle. You have a low seeding meaning you play much better teams, making it harder to qualify, meaning your seeding stays low. Repeat.

....Its called elitism.

• Like 2

Despite my indifference towards Poland's players and style, I do want them to go through tonight.  Not because of Ronaldo, but because of the rest of his cynical team-mates tbh.  Ronaldo is one of the very few Portuguese players who deserves a place in any semi final.  I'm hoping tonight is the night Lewandowski finally arrives in this competition.  They've largely gotten this far without him and it's now you want your really big players performing.  What better moment :) 

• Like 1

Biggest game in polish history and I'm right in the middle of it. 

It's refreshing for a country to love their football team. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Biggest game in polish history and I'm right in the middle of it. 

It's refreshing for a country to love their football team. 

the 1982 World Cup semi final I imagine was bigger

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Next up on Pazdan's list. Ronaldo :D

comment_tsf8Ob5UOBhNGjbZozF89vHEd6ecVmMw

He's really not that good. He has good games but generally he has woeful positioning and is slow to follow the game. Quick to make up for his mistakes though.

I worry for us tonight even if we really should win. We need a Lewandowski goal and things will change, it's been so nervous in attack.

On 6/28/2016 at 01:03, kurtsimonw said:

I think we're quite similar to Italy in terms of average players and central attacking talent.
But that's where Conte is different. He's have played Kane and Vardy for sure and I don't think Sterling would get a chance playing as he did. I could've seen him taking a few very different and more tactically useful players.

That's England real problem, we never take a team that fits a tactic. We as Villa fans know how stupid that is.

Â