Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Yorkie practically retired the night of the CL win in 1999, Fergie said it as much in his book and Keane training with and then managing him every day should have known better than to give him another deal. More fool him.

It will be interesting to see how Lambert and Keane work together. Keane's input will obviously be welcomed but bottom line is Lambert will want things done his way.

It is one thing having built a friendship up over a few years and another working alongside someone day in day out. I have had great friends who I have then worked with and in a working environment a friendship can quickly go out of the window.

Clearly though Lambert believes Keane is the right man for the job, is someone he can work with and can have a positive impact on both him and the players. I hope he is right and it turns out to be a masterstroke.

It will be interesting to see how Lambert and Keane work together. Keane's input will obviously be welcomed but bottom line is Lambert will want things done his way.

It is one thing having built a friendship up over a few years and another working alongside someone day in day out. I have had great friends who I have then worked with and in a working environment a friendship can quickly go out of the window.

Clearly though Lambert believes Keane is the right man for the job, is someone he can work with and can have a positive impact on both him and the players. I hope he is right and it turns out to be a masterstroke.

Agreed, one thing is for certain Lambert will know what he is getting with Keane it isn't some unknown quantity.

I would also add that although its only been a short period of time, in his role with Ireland Keane will have had to get used to O'Neill wanting things done his own way.We all know there isn't much flexibility with O'Neill so if its working there I'm reassured enough to think it can here.

• Like 1

Agreed, one thing is for certain Lambert will know what he is getting with Keane it isn't some unknown quantity.

I would also add that although its only been a short period of time, in his role with Ireland Keane will have had to get used to O'Neill wanting things done his own way.We all know there isn't much flexibility with O'Neill so if its working there I'm reassured enough to think it can here.

That is an excellent point actually Trent. They don't come more stubborn than O'Neill and if Keane and him seem to be getting along okay then maybe that should be seen as a positive sign that Keane can compliment the manger and be a decent number 2.

• Like 1

That is an excellent point actually Trent. They don't come more stubborn than O'Neill and if Keane and him seem to be getting along okay then maybe that should be seen as a positive sign that Keane can compliment the manger and be a decent number 2.

Well I certainly think its more indicative of his suitability for the role than statements from several years ago from people he has had run in's with when in a different job role.

• Like 1

Keane got on well with Fergie for years... until he blew his top. That's the problem with Keane, he is always liable to explode.

Aren't most people from time to time, especially highly competitive sports people?

Lambert knew what he was getting with Culverhouse and Karsa, too, though.   Or so he thought.   Just sayin'...

Indeed. Fergie himself, who did OK, was not exactly serenity personified.

You can get away with that when you consistently win trophies.  Apparently Roy Keane and Ferguson didn't get on at all, it was more of a mutual acceptance that they needed each other when the pair of them were arguably the best midfielder and manager in the country respectively.  As soon as Ferguson saw that Keane's powers were on the wane, he wasted no time in getting shut.

I also don't think you can compare working in what is effectively a part time role for the Irish FA with a full time job in the Premier League, the pressures are extremely different.  Ireland are expected to have a decent go at qualifying for tournaments, but without any real expectation that they'll do so.  Martin O'Neill is a lot more expereinced than Keane, and probably just as hot-headed.  Lambert hasn't really got a lot more top flight experience than Keane, and would appear to be more laid back, so I can only see the relationship between Lambert and Keane being very awkward on a professional level.

There are so many variables its hard to call it.....but I'm sure our lot, need a bit of Focus on what is important and that results need to improve and taken more seriously( its not ok to lose)....there is a certain detection of sloppiness with certain players in our lot and hopefully that will be identified with people like Keane....teams lose, all teams lose, but its not ok to lose, like "what do expect us to do" ........effing win and show a willingness that you want to win.....one that we can see.

a bit of winning mentality needs to be instilled despite the dubiousness surrounding their ability over a season.

I have a suspicion that Roy Keane is a contingency plan judging by his interviews.

I also don't think you can compare working in what is effectively a part time role for the Irish FA with a full time job in the Premier League, the pressures are extremely different.  Ireland are expected to have a decent go at qualifying for tournaments, but without any real expectation that they'll do so.  Martin O'Neill is a lot more expereinced than Keane, and probably just as hot-headed.  Lambert hasn't really got a lot more top flight experience than Keane, and would appear to be more laid back, so I can only see the relationship between Lambert and Keane being very awkward on a professional level.

I didn't compare the jobs, they are as you say entirely different. I raised it as an isolated point to suggest that Keane might be better at following the will of a manager more than people give him credit for, its not really the same thing.

You are right, O'Neill is just as hot headed as Keane so surely that makes them clashing more likely not less?

At the end of the day we will have to wait and see I guess but given that Lambert picked Keane I think they will work better together than a lot of people give them credit for.

• Like 1

I have a suspicion that Roy Keane is a contingency plan judging by his interviews.

A contingency plan appointed by the man he is supposed to be the replacement for.

you know that do you?.....you know that Paul Lambert appointed Roy Keane with no other influence from anyone else involved in Aston Villa Football club....if thats the case fine, I'll be corrected.

I don't know that.

lets wait and see, but I am suspicious and judging by the folk I have spoken to I'm not alone.

A contingency plan appointed by the man he is supposed to be the replacement for.

you know that do you?.....you know that Paul Lambert appointed Roy Keane with no other influence from anyone else involved in Aston Villa Football club....if thats the case fine, I'll be corrected.

I don't know that.

lets wait and see, but I am suspicious and judging by the folk I have spoken to I'm not alone.

Yes, check the first post in this thread. You won't find anything anywhere pre-dating that about the forthcoming appointment. 

A contingency plan appointed by the man he is supposed to be the replacement for… yeah makes perfect sense.

you may be a moderator but can I take exception to your personal remark at the end.

its my opinion, right or wrong.

Is this site, designed for opinions and is it not frowned upon to remark on another poster, whether it is sarcasm or not.

seems like double standards to me.

A contingency plan appointed by the man he is supposed to be the replacement for… yeah makes perfect sense.

you may be a moderator but can I take exception to your personal remark at the end.

its my opinion, right or wrong.

Is this site, designed for opinions and is it not frowned upon to remark on another poster, whether it is sarcasm or not.

seems like double standards to me.

I haven't remarked on you at all, I simply said I don't think that the theory you are offering makes sense. There is no double standard, people are free to express opinions and people are free to disagree with them which is all I've done. No offence was intended.

I'm fairly sure there are quotes from both Lambert and Keane that support this being Lambert's choice, there is absolutely nothing to support the theory that he is in someway the manager in waiting.

Being a moderator doesn't mean I'm not entitled to have opinions or disagree with other posters opinions.

look both you and me don't want to hang this out....but,

you clearly said ...... "yeah that makes perfect sense"....meaning it doesn't ( sarcasm)

your opinion differs, fair enough, but it is no better or worse than mine, so don't make demeaning comments.

you may be right, i maybe on to something lets wait and see

in the meantime.....up the villa

Sarcasm isn't the same as making post on poster remarks, huge difference.

And I believe you are wrong and I don't believe your theory makes any sense because I've very good reason to believe Lambert picked Keane.

Indeed. Fergie himself, who did OK, was not exactly serenity personified.

You can get away with that when you consistently win trophies.  Apparently Roy Keane and Ferguson didn't get on at all, it was more of a mutual acceptance that they needed each other when the pair of them were arguably the best midfielder and manager in the country respectively.  As soon as Ferguson saw that Keane's powers were on the wane, he wasted no time in getting shut.

Yeah, so awkward he hired him

Â