What is needed for a top 10 finish next season?

VillaChris

New owners? New managers? New defenders? New creative midfielders? New strikers? What?

Currently Newcastle will finish on the top 10 on 49 points. Nowadays in the prem to finish in the top 10 you need 48-50 points during a season. It can't be a lot to ask for us to accumulate 10 more points than we currently do during a season when you think of all the winnable home games we simply don't.

Now in an ideal world we'd have a new manager and owners but let's cross that bridge when we get it.

If things stay as they are and Lambert gets his usual 20m plus extra he can accumulate in sales he must must must spend most of it on two creative midfielders.

We're never going to defensively secure under him but then again it's not like our defensive record is significantly worse than a lot of teams above us.

So to me we just need more creativity in the team and in the middle and hope the extra chances will mean Gabby, Weimann and Kozak will keep us ticking over while Benteke recovers.

If we can say get Holtby and Sigurdsson for a combined 15m then I'll start getting down again as I'd feel a lot more confident about things.

1. Takeover

2. New manager with a bit of nous about them.

3. £50m plus to spend on a new leftback, rightback, centreback, defensive midfielder, box-to-box midfielder and striker. Basically we need 6 decent players who can go straight into the first team and dictate play.

We don't need to spend 50m, that's for the top 6.

When Newcastle can be comfortably top 6 despite winning 4 league games since boxing day (same as us) and Palace can be in the top 10 recently it's NOT that difficult to achieve.

Say we sign Bertrand, Holtby and Sigurdsson for 20m this season then to me I'd be pretty happy with our options then providing Okore stays fit.

We don't need to spend 50m, that's for the top 6.

When Newcastle can be comfortably top 6 despite winning 4 league games since boxing day (same as us) and Palace can be in the top 10 recently it's NOT that difficult to achieve.

Say we sign Bertrand, Holtby and Sigurdsson for 20m this season then to me I'd be pretty happy with our options then providing Okore stays fit.

I'd swap out one of Holtby or Sigurdsson for a DM but thats pretty much how I see it as well. 

New owner.

New manager.

Keep Guzan.

Sign Bertrand. Sell Bennett.

Sign a good, experienced defender. Loan out Baker.

Sign a right back.

Sign numerous quality midfielders, sell the raft of average ones we have, apart from Westwood and Delph.

Sign a few wingers.

Sign two quality strikers. Sell Gabby.

New owner.

New manager.

Keep Guzan.

Sign Bertrand. Sell Bennett.

Sign a good, experienced defender. Loan out Baker.

Sign a right back.

Sign numerous quality midfielders, sell the raft of average ones we have, apart from Westwood and Delph.

Sign a few wingers.

Sign two quality strikers. Sell Gabby.

Yep pretty much agree with that. Alas the young and hungry tactic is going to fail, unless we have quality players playing along with a few cheap and cheerful signings. To be a top 10 I reckon we would need at least 5 quality signings in the summer and unless a take over happens, this will not happen.

Top 10? Are you actually serious? We are so far behind the top 10 teams at the moment

Not really? I mean that is my point of view but I think 3-4 quality players and we are there. We need some proper investments this summer, regardless off a takeover or not.

I actually think we should keep hold of Gabby and use him as a super-sub type with his pace. He also bleeds claret and blue, and if there is going to be a massive influx of new players, an old hand in the dressing room who understands the culture at Villa is important. 

• Like 1

I actually think we should keep hold of Gabby and use him as a super-sub type with his pace. He also bleeds claret and blue, and if there is going to be a massive influx of new players, an old hand in the dressing room who understands the culture at Villa is important. 

A lot of people bleed claret and blue. We don't pay them 50 grand a week to be play well in half a dozen games a season. Injury prone and probably his best days are already behind him. Time to sell him even if he is a Villa boy.

We're not that far from Top 10 finish, without the crucial injuries I think we'd been in top 10 or at least close to it. Though we cleraly need:

1) new owner

2) new manager

3) football people in top

4) big warchest for new players.

In terms of playing staff

GK - pretty much sorted with Guzan, Steer and a couple of young lads as back up

RB - Lowton and Bacuna are ok  but could be improved on

CB - Vlaar and Okore should be starters, Baker and Clark and not bad back up but even RV and JO could be improved on

LB - Please sign Bertrand and sell either Luna or Bennett.

CM - I like Delph, Westwood and even KEA but we need a big bruiser in midfield

AM - the biggest area that needs work on, need a winger or two and a star player to play in behind the striker

ST - Benteke, Kozak, Weimann, Gabby and Robinson coming through is ok but maybe another striker required.

RB, LB CM x2, Wingers x2, CF.

And most importantly, Manager

Bin: Moon, KEA, Herd, Sylla, Tonev, Helenius, Bowery and of course Lambert.

Probably need a net spend of 30-40 for that.

Edited by botak

Â