$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

At what stage did Learner take over? Was it out of season? This does have disaster written all over it if nothing has happened well before the season has started. How are Paul and Co (the ones that aren't sacked) supposed to make plans? This is all a bit up in the air.

This leads me to think that the buyers may actually be in place and the finer details are just being sorted. The bomb squad are back in play to give the club added value. Lambert is simply on a remit to make a competitive team out of what he's got until a new owner comes in and gets rid. 

At what stage did Learner take over? Was it out of season? This does have disaster written all over it if nothing has happened well before the season has started. How are Paul and Co (the ones that aren't sacked) supposed to make plans? This is all a bit up in the air.

This leads me to think that the buyers may actually be in place and the finer details are just being sorted. The bomb squad are back in play to give the club added value. Lambert is simply on a remit to make a competitive team out of what he's got until a new owner comes in and gets rid.

There could be something in that last part. Seems strange for Lambert and Lerner to put the 'bomb squad' back in contention unless the order has come from elsewhere.

• Like 1

Personally I think any new owners will keep Lambert, at least for the time being.

Depends when they take over but if it is sooner rather than later, I'd hazard a guess that there is a fair chance of of them removing Lambert. Thinking rationally about it, any new owner/s will ride a wave of optimism after the slumber of the last few years and the worst possible thing they could do is automatically alienate a section of the supporters by sticking with such a divisive figure. Whereas if they hire a new manager (assuming it isn't an unpopular choice) then it will be a truly fresh start and they'll at least enjoy a honeymoon period with pretty much everyone buying into it.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Personally I think any new owners will keep Lambert, at least for the time being.

I agree unless the new owner already has somebody lined up. My guess is it'll still be at least a few more weeks before anything happens, and by that point you aren't going to want to find a new manager and then hit the transfer market. Lambo is going to get some cash and a chance to prove himself in one more season.

Then, depending on how that goes, we're either searching for a new manager come January or not.

Prettysure it's was out of season just after MON started............me must of knew before hand that Lerner was in

Prettysure it's was out of season just after MON started............me must of knew before hand that Lerner was in

From what I remember it was close to the start of the season so only Petrov was bought as a main signing. Plus Young and Carew in January.

But the squad was no where as bad as our current squad in my opinion. Yes they struggled the season before but they managed to finish 6th the year before that and we still had players like Bouma, Laurson, Mellberg, Barry.

It's going to be a hard season regardless of takeover but at least if I happens it will give the current squad a lift.

From what I remember it was close to the start of the season so only Petrov was bought as a main signing. Plus Young and Carew in January.

But the squad was no where as bad as our current squad in my opinion. Yes they struggled the season before but they managed to finish 6th the year before that and we still had players like Bouma, Laurson, Mellberg, Barry.

It's going to be a hard season regardless of takeover but at least if I happens it will give the current squad a lift.

The deal was announced on 14 August 2006 when Lerner agreed to buy Doug's shares and by 25 August he had acquired a majority shareholding (and the proceeded to buy up the remainder) so you are right that there was little time to bring in players that window.

Any deal this time round when it happen won't be subject to the stock exchange rules that applied then unless of course the buyer is a listed company and has to raise funds which is  a very unlikely scenario IMO so the good news is that the deal could happen very quickly but having said that we only really have a very short time frame for it to happen in and be able to do something with the squad for next season. My guess is Lambert's job is safe in the short term for no other reason than those timescales.

Welcome villanun, didn't know villa had much of a following among nuns, but setting that aside, what off message statements from Lambert do you mean? You may be right, but I'm not sure I know what the on message was.

Yeah, that username doesn't seem quite so clever now. With regards to Lambert, I mean the way he toed the line about the policy of buying young and hungry players for ages, but towards the end of the season he stated talking about needing to get in more expensive players, dropped hints about things not being right behind the scenes, and saying that the current situation was not where anyone (including, I think it's fair to assume, him) wanted to be. It wasn't much, but for someone who'd always talked about having a close relationship with the owner and had always agreed with the transfer policy, it was a marked change.

I don't think that's what forced Randy's hand in and of itself, but it can't have helped.

Right, I'm off to change my username. ;)

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 2