$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I hope I'm wrong on this one, but this is my theory anyway:

I suspect that Randy has got sick of all the pelters he's been getting about being an awful owner. Lots of fans saying that he should bugger off and sell us to a billionaire.

He knew it would be inevitable that many would be calling for Paul Lamberts head after such a dissapointing season. He would be put under pressure to get rid of the manager when the he had done nothing wrong in his eyes. Remember the restrictions the manager has been working within regards players salaries etc. It's no wonder many of the players are struggling. Quality players play consistently well, that is the big difference with many of our players. They have their good games but more bad than good.

This I believe is Randy Lerner saying " OK, lets see who will come in and is prepared to pay £200 million for the club and then invest millions with no realsitic chance of getting that money back".

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee, this is the real world and the Oligaths and Shelks are few and far between. We could be lucky, but as sad as it sounds this is a wake up call to where we are. A club that is operating on a budget and any progress will be slow.

A lot people seized on the fact that his statement had an element of 'goodbye' in it - with a sale starting to look some way off - I'm just wondering has he washed his hands of us ? - Like the Randy Lerner years were 2006-2014 - Whatever happens now isn't on his watch. Also looking at the prices that championship clubs go for, why would pay £200m for Aston Villa. 

I know Reading have debts which need to be paid - but the bidding price is £1 !!!!1 - buy that ...£30m on players  - would give you a decent crack at promotion - perhaps another £40 to keep them in the prem. Where as Aston Villa is £200m  - £30m to stay in the prem - perhaps £70-80m to make us competitive.

It would seem to me the value for money thing to do is to buy an ailing championship club.. 

That's why £200m is far too much for us as we stand at the moment. 4 years ago maybe £200m was possible but not now.

Where is everyone getting this 200mil price tag from? Far as i'm aware it was only reported in the papers and lets face it, what have they got right lately? They prob know just as much as us.

200mil price tag is pure speculation.

I suspect that Randy has got sick of all the pelters he's been getting about being an awful owner. Lots of fans saying that he should bugger off and sell us to a billionaire.

He knew it would be inevitable that many would be calling for Paul Lamberts head after such a dissapointing season. He would be put under pressure to get rid of the manager when the he had done nothing wrong in his eyes. Remember the restrictions the manager has been working within regards players salaries etc. It's no wonder many of the players are struggling. Quality players play consistently well, that is the big difference with many of our players. They have their good games but more bad than good.

This I believe is Randy Lerner saying " OK, lets see who will come in and is prepared to pay £200 million for the club and then invest millions with no realsitic chance of getting that money back".

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee, this is the real world and the Oligaths and Shelks are few and far between. We could be lucky, but as sad as it sounds this is a wake up call to where we are. A club that is operating on a budget and any progress will be slow.

A lot people seized on the fact that his statement had an element of 'goodbye' in it - with a sale starting to look some way off - I'm just wondering has he washed his hands of us ? - Like the Randy Lerner years were 2006-2014 - Whatever happens now isn't on his watch. Also looking at the prices that championship clubs go for, why would pay £200m for Aston Villa. 

I know Reading have debts which need to be paid - but the bidding price is £1 !!!!1 - buy that ...£30m on players  - would give you a decent crack at promotion - perhaps another £40 to keep them in the prem. Where as Aston Villa is £200m  - £30m to stay in the prem - perhaps £70-80m to make us competitive.

It would seem to me the value for money thing to do is to buy an ailing championship club.. 

That's why £200m is far too much for us as we stand at the moment. 4 years ago maybe £200m was possible but not now.

Where is everyone getting this 200mil price tag from? Far as i'm aware it was only reported in the papers and lets face it, what have they got right lately? They prob know just as much as us.

The company is capitalised at £223m, so that is the indicator.

Confrimed by the finance chap, anyone know his name? forgotten.

Clubs like Reading simply don't have the potential of Villa.  Why not buy a Conference club for peanuts, spend ten million to get them up to the Championship and then take it from there?  It's doable but, at the end of the day, you will always be limited by infrastructure and demographics.

The fact is Villa are a large, historic club of 140 years standing.   They are one of the names in English football.   Just because Randy has run us into the ground these past four years, the potential and story behind the club remains the same. Looking at the some of the prices quoted for other big city English Premier League clubs I'm pretty certain 200 million quid for Villa would be viewed as a bargain.

You can't sell history? Look at Leeds whose standing, fan base and potential are probably on a par with ours? How much were they sold for?

The only Prem club I can think of being sold recently is Fulham and they are sitting on a piece of prime West London real estate so their value will be skewed by that. Plus I wonder what they are worth now sat in the Championship for next season?

I think we are all kidding ourselves if we think we are worth £200m. We are like a Ferrari with the engine from a gee whiz stuck in by the current 'careful' owner?

8 years of poor investment doesn't make us valuable at £200m.

Let's see how much Lerner get's for us?

To say the Football Club is not worth £200M is nonsense.

The assets alone (the stadium, the training ground, the land the club owns, the players(ahem)) - all of this needs to be factored in.

Then there is the buisness itself, the guaranteed revenue and variable revenue.

The club is WORTH £200M of anyones money !   

We'll see?

8 years ago we were worth £62.5m so in 8 years our value has trebled? Any investor should be jumping at that return?

A companies worth is based on profit levels, turnover, assets, goodwill and potential. If a new owner buys us today to stay in the Prem they need to invest around £50m in new playing staff otherwise their £200m would be devalued to £50m to £100m in the Championship. That's a big risk and a big investment on top of the £200m.

Realistically if I was a buyer I would tell Lerner I will pay him the £200m less the £50m required for investment. A bit like if I was buying a house for £100k and the survey revealed I need a new roof at the cost of £25k, either pay £75k and get the roof fixed yourself or the seller does it and you pay the £100k. Personally I wouldn't trust Lerner or his management team to spend my £50m wisely so I'd pay the £150m and let my new management team spend the £50m.

Buying a Premier League football club isn't like buying a house - they are very different kinds of assets operating within very different and varying dynamics.  For starters, buying a house won't guarantee you £70-odd million in prize money every year. Buying a club of Villa's potential and history for £200 million quid would be a bargain.

Well Lerner must be so busy beating the offers away with a shitty stick that he just doesn't know who to sell us to.

This is also a business that has lost money for the past 7 years? That must add to the attraction??

Who by?

The true value of the club is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

• Like 1

Who by?

Just admit you're wrong here Del. It's pretty clear you're just basing your argument on the shit football not the facts. Many posters on here that know what they are talking about when it comes to this and they have spoken. The club is easily worth £200mill.

To say the Football Club is not worth £200M is nonsense.

The assets alone (the stadium, the training ground, the land the club owns, the players(ahem)) - all of this needs to be factored in.

Then there is the buisness itself, the guaranteed revenue and variable revenue.

The club is WORTH £200M of anyones money !   

We'll see?

8 years ago we were worth £62.5m so in 8 years our value has trebled? Any investor should be jumping at that return?

A companies worth is based on profit levels, turnover, assets, goodwill and potential. If a new owner buys us today to stay in the Prem they need to invest around £50m in new playing staff otherwise their £200m would be devalued to £50m to £100m in the Championship. That's a big risk and a big investment on top of the £200m.

Realistically if I was a buyer I would tell Lerner I will pay him the £200m less the £50m required for investment. A bit like if I was buying a house for £100k and the survey revealed I need a new roof at the cost of £25k, either pay £75k and get the roof fixed yourself or the seller does it and you pay the £100k. Personally I wouldn't trust Lerner or his management team to spend my £50m wisely so I'd pay the £150m and let my new management team spend the £50m.

Buying a Premier League football club isn't like buying a house - they are very different kinds of assets operating within very different and varying dynamics.  For starters, buying a house won't guarantee you £70-odd million in prize money every year. Buying a club of Villa's potential and history for £200 million quid would be a bargain.

Well Lerner must be so busy beating the offers away with a shitty stick that he just doesn't know who to sell us to.

This is also a business that has lost money for the past 7 years? That must add to the attraction??

It's lost money because of the way the man who owned the club ran it.  I could take over Arsenal tomorrow and it would soon be a failing business again.  Villa, in the right hands, would be a successful business and i'm sure there are plenty of folk out there who know this.

None of us know how many offers Randy is having to beat off with a shitty stick - and that's as it should be.

Admin wrote:

Hello again, 

The name I heard earlier is Donald Sterling (LA Clippers owner). As I said, not a name that's shown up on my radar until now. Another source has said he's heard the name but could add no more than that. 

Where Sterling fits into this and how far down the track he is with it I'll try to find out for you but it looks like a deal WILL be completed this summer (cue jokes about the UK summer being 8 days)

As I'm sure you've read over and over, info coming out of Villa at the moment is extremely limited but I'll keep you updated when I can.

804.gif

DingDong.png

Morgan never forgets

• Like 2

I hate to be so negative but something glaringly obvious is staring us all in the face. If a buyer was lined up, why would randy need to announce the club was for sale? Announcing it may just piss off your potential buyer. There's just no need to do it. Just announce when sold!

• Like 1

Clubs like Reading simply don't have the potential of Villa.  Why not buy a Conference club for peanuts, spend ten million to get them up to the Championship and then take it from there?  It's doable but, at the end of the day, you will always be limited by infrastructure and demographics.

The fact is Villa are a large, historic club of 140 years standing.   They are one of the names in English football.   Just because Randy has run us into the ground these past four years, the potential and story behind the club remains the same. Looking at the some of the prices quoted for other big city English Premier League clubs I'm pretty certain 200 million quid for Villa would be viewed as a bargain.

You can't sell history? Look at Leeds whose standing, fan base and potential are probably on a par with ours? How much were they sold for?

The only Prem club I can think of being sold recently is Fulham and they are sitting on a piece of prime West London real estate so their value will be skewed by that. Plus I wonder what they are worth now sat in the Championship for next season?

I think we are all kidding ourselves if we think we are worth £200m. We are like a Ferrari with the engine from a gee whiz stuck in by the current 'careful' owner?

8 years of poor investment doesn't make us valuable at £200m.

Let's see how much Lerner get's for us?

Leeds are in up to their armpits in debt sitting in the Championship.  They are a club that have won roughly five major trophies in their history.  They will not be getting a minimum of seventy million a year in prize money either and there's no guarantee any investment in them will lead to promotion...and their infrastructure needs serious investment.  

To get Leeds to Villa's level (right now) in terms of stadium and training ground investment, Premier League status and breaking even as a business would take time and many millions of pounds.  

The fact is if you buy Villa now for two hundred million, you will get that back in three years guaranteed.  Any prospective Villa buyer simply needs money to invest in the team and wages to ensure we are constantly in the Premier League and breaking even...it's far less hassle and risk than buying Leeds.

• Like 1

I hate to be so negative but something glaringly obvious is staring us all in the face. If a buyer was lined up, why would randy need to announce the club was for sale? Announcing it may just piss off your potential buyer. There's just no need to do it. Just announce when sold!

Maybe there is more than one "interested" party? 

I just dont see it. You'd still stay quiet until the sale went thru. I think announcing it is s desperate attempt to drum up interest.

Who by?

Football has moved on so much since Randy bought the club back in 2006. Just to put this in perspective, the relegated teams this year earned more money from being in the premier league than United won for winning the title a couple of seasons back.

A mid-table premier league club now earns more money from the TV deal than being in the champions league 3 seasons back.

I don't know the precise figure but I think we earned £67mil from the TV deal alone this year. You don't need a business degree to know that a business that generates that amount of turnover per year could fetch about 3 times that amount if sold. Then add the gate receipts, merchandise turnover and other assets (including playing staff). Taking all that into consideration and £200mil is not so much at all.

Who by?

Just admit you're wrong here Del. It's pretty clear you're just basing your argument on the shit football not the facts. Many posters on here that know what they are talking about when it comes to this and they have spoken. The club is easily worth £200mill.

If we get sold for £200m then I will admit I am wrong.

I am not basing any thing on the shit football but on the shit squad which is a major asset of any club.

As we are such a bargain at £200M then we will soon find out as a finding a buyer is going to be easy?

With Leeds all I was saying is you can't sell history to any one but an antique dealer?

With Leeds all I was saying is you can't sell history to any one but an antique dealer?

No but you can sell assets, Villa have assets Leeds don't.

While the playing squad isn't up to much it is probably worth around £40-50m on its own but lets not get into player valuations.

There are better people than me to talk about accounts and assets, Risso for example being the expert on here, but players in terms of a valuation of a club aren't really a consideration. What is taken into account is income, expenditure and profit and fixed assets such as land and property.

A comparison with Leeds is a little daft as they have no assets, they don't own their ground, they don't own their club shop, they don't own anything other than the players, their name and league registration. They don't even own their training ground.

I just dont see it. You'd still stay quiet until the sale went thru. I think announcing it is s desperate attempt to drum up interest.

It is obvious that Randy has intended the statement to create further interest, but I am also certain there was interested parties prior to the statement. I doubt Randy woke up one morning and decided to sell on a whim. It is a calculated decision to announce selling the club IMO. #Believe

I think it's an invitation for others to join a process where there are already a few interested parties. A big part of our value is based on the fact that we are in the Premiership. We have been in a relegation fight three or four times now. To publicly announce the club is for sale and stop investing in the squad is very dangerous. It might cost us £50 millions invested on the squad just to ensure we are not relegated. But it would still be a better option than selling the club as a Championship club.

If the club borrowed those £50 millions in the bank and bought a few good players would only mean we have a loan, but more valuable players instead. It doesn't reduce the value of the club in itself. 

I guess the reason for us not signing players (apparently) is because the process of selling the club is nearly finished. If not, it should be "business as usual" when it comes to how the club is being run.