$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

The good thing about being a pessimist is you are either constantly proved right or pleasantly surprised. 

I guess its that the plane went to Luton first - and Lamberts comments about nothing being on the horizon that put a dampner on it [bob Rich] for me.....

Why?

When Mr Lerner arrived to meet O'Neill just before he was unveiled as the manager he flew into Luton as well.

Pretty much every US owned long haul exec jet pitches up at Luton at some point-it is their main gateway to London

Ah ok - I was thinking they work like buses - everyone got off at Luton - but the plane just parks at BHX !

Im never hopeful with villa - we have to 2-0 up with 75 gone before I start considering a point might be on the cards.....

Edited by smetrov
  • Like 1

I would imagine lerner does just want a sale. This idea that he loves us is just a hopeful dream for a man many have put a lot of faith in. The last few years show he really doesn't care much at all.

What a bizarre conclusion. Just because things haven't worked out doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Alex mcleish shows he didn't care.

The last two January windows, when we've been desperate, he provided funds for sylla and allowed Dawkins, Bertrand and Holt to join on loan. Nothing about not working out, those actions speak volumes.

No, the appointment of Alex McLeish shows that he didn't always make good decisions. Same goes for the January transfer windows. It's as if you think it's impossible to both care but make bad decisions at the same time.

I would imagine lerner does just want a sale. This idea that he loves us is just a hopeful dream for a man many have put a lot of faith in. The last few years show he really doesn't care much at all.

What a bizarre conclusion. Just because things haven't worked out doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Alex mcleish shows he didn't care.

The last two January windows, when we've been desperate, he provided funds for sylla and allowed Dawkins, Bertrand and Holt to join on loan. Nothing about not working out, those actions speak volumes.

I don't always agree with BJ10 - but you have to say he has a point here. Its inexplicable to me why he has gambled with our premier league status - and more bafflingly his own investment - He left it to chance that we would bag  a £72m TV deal - Surley £5-10m should have been given so this wasn't left to luck   (Yes I know he got away with it - but you get the point)

I don't agree with that at all - his whole point is based on the flawed logic that success (or lack of it) of decisions determines how much he "cares".

No, the appointment of Alex McLeish shows that he didn't always make good decisions. Same goes for the January transfer windows. It's as if you think it's impossible to both care but make bad decisions at the same time.

If you think releasing those funds in January was him caring but just making a bad decision then I'll leave the discussion there.

I don't agree with that at all - his whole point is based on the flawed logic that success (or lack of it) of decisions determines how much he "cares".

What? You've made your own assumption there. That's nothing like what my point is

If you think releasing those funds in January was him caring but just making a bad decision then I'll leave the discussion there.

I don't think it's a specific example of him caring but at the same time it can hardly be taken as evidence that he "doesn't care" either.

What? You've made your own assumption there. That's nothing like what my point is

It pretty much is though. Your whole argument is basically that Lerner doesn't care because he's made bad decisions.

Edited by Mantis

Pat Murphy tweeted that he thinks Lerner just wants a sale and doesn't care who to. Not that I believe Murphy knows how Lerner's feeling. Maybe he's bitter about O'neill still. I've put the Murphy's tweet in a spoiler for those that want to see his exact wording.

Pat Murphy ‏@patmurphybbc 10h

Randy Lerner & Villa sale: forget any lofty idealism from him about preferring a 'custodian' in his perceived image.He now just wants a sale

Pat Murphy tweeted that he thinks Lerner just wants a sale and doesn't care who to. Not that I believe Murphy knows how Lerner's feeling. Maybe he's bitter about O'neill still. I've put the Murphy's tweet in a spoiler for those that want to see his exact wording.

Randy Lerner & Villa sale: forget any lofty idealism from him about preferring a 'custodian' in his perceived image.He now just wants a sale

Sounds bitter to me.

• Like 1

Sounds bitter to me.

2977.gif

It pretty much is though. Your whole argument is basically that Lerner doesn't care because he's made bad decisions.

No he doesn't really care because he didn't really care. The examples I gave weren't just bad decisions they showed that the best interests of Aston villa weren't his main motive in making them. You think they were then great. End discussion there.

No he doesn't really care because he didn't really care. The examples I gave weren't just bad decisions they showed that the best interests of Aston villa weren't his main motive in making them. You think they were then great. End discussion there.

Not at all. It's entirely possible that he was acting in what he thought were the best interests of Villa at the time. The fact that they proved to be wrong (at least with regards to McLeish) doesn't mean he didn't care.

Nice black and white thinking there. Where did I say I thought they were great? It's laughable that you can say that especially since I never once wanted McLeish here and was pretty quick to want him gone actually. Just because I agree with you on one thing (Lerner caring) doesn't mean I don't agree with you that hiring McLeish was a terrible move and not investing the past two Januaries were risky. As I keep on stressing to you, the world is not black and white. This duality you're trying to construct with regards to Lerner and Lambert is getting incredibly tedious. It simply isn't the case that anybody that disagrees with you on those two points thinks everything they've done is great. I've noticed quite a few people have been "defending" Lerner in this thread to an extent (myself included) but I'm fairly certain that most of us at the same time still want a change of ownership.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Being a pessimist here, wasn't Lerner always against having a gambling sponsor? But then we signed up with dafabet. Does this lead to the idea that Lerner is just getting the best financial gains now rather than caring about ideals?

Was it ever confirmed that Lerner didn't like betting companies or was that just the assumption/rumour?

I honestly don't know, I just remember reading something along those lines previously.

What's going on now? I haven't followed the tread today it it descended into new levels of bollocks. This just seems to have turned into the randy Lerner thread and we have another one of those for that point

• Like 1

In 1964 Bob RIch just missed out on getting into the US Ice Hockey team that competed at the Olympics. Thirty two years later he was inducted into the frozen food hall of fame joining his Father.

Basically the way it's stands right now is pretty much worst case Paul Lambert is staying put Lerner ain't sold us or near to selling us apparently.

In a nut she'll we are **** :)

Not really - worst case would be Lambert walking out and us being left to look for a new manager with uncertainty over ownership.

• Like 4

In 1964 Bob RIch just missed out on getting into the US Ice Hockey team that competed at the Olympics. Thirty two years later he was inducted into the frozen food hall of fame joining his Father.

The American Dave Whelan!

So Bob Rich has 'flat packed' frozen food companies as well?

Dare I say... Fully fit our squad isn't as bad as the records show...! But on the other hand you have to expect the injuries and fulfil the void left by others... I think you'll be surprised if lambert left, they'd be another 10 managers lined up around the same calibre...

*Prepare for the bombardments*

• Like 4

Dare I say... Fully fit our squad isn't as bad as the records show...! But on the other hand you have to expect the injuries and fulfil the void left by others... I think you'll be surprised if lambert left, they'd be another 10 managers lined up around the same calibre...

*Prepare for the bombardments*

I think the problem is, if Lambert left, would a new manager want to come, when he would know that the new owners might not like him and he could be sacked within a few months of being here, if a takeover happens? To me, you're not going to get many committed managers in those circumstances, just a journeyman looking for a last payout, playing the 'committed manager to this big club' act.