Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Football is literally measured in goals. It's the only thing that matters.

Come on, defenders aren't judged on how many goals they score. They are judged by how they defend. Not sure why I had to expand on that though really.

Come on, defenders aren't judged on how many goals they score. They are judged by how they defend. Not sure why I had to expand on that though really.

Then why is David Luiz worth £50 million, the most expensive defender ever

What I said there is irrefutable. I knew you'd give it a go though.

Players should be judged on what they provide towards the final result as a whole, not on some antiquated view of what they should and shouldn't be judged on.

If, for example, he has an "average", or even below average defensive game yet scores the winner in a 3-2 victory, he has contributed to that victory in a positive manner. The most positive way possible.

A goal is a goal my friend, no matter who score it.

Like many I sighed when I heard the news.

Having said that again like many have said, that its an improvement to what we've got. It's not a nice position to be in but it's about as good as it gets until Lerner sells. I'll take any improvement to the squad at the moment, it could be worse.

Why did you sigh? Bad as they were, Fulham fans are gutted at the news. He's a good player.

What's upset you? Im completely baffled by the reaction to this one.

That was a positive post compared to a hell of a lot of this topic/forum. I'd say that the majority of Villa fans first thoughts weren't that positive to the transfer but then may have changed a little when they think about it more.

Its a positive transfer in the circumstances but come on we all want to be back competing for good players that the top half of the table are looking at rather than the bottom. Hopefully it will happen again, maybe not but we are where we are and it is an improvement.

• Like 1

And that proves nothing other than that PSG have more money than sense. I take it you missed the semi final the other day though where we all saw what happens when you have defenders like Luiz and Marcelo incapable of defending?

Players should be judged on what they provide towards the final result as a whole, not on some antiquated view of what they should and shouldn't be judged on.

If, for example, he has an "average", or even below average defensive game yet scores the winner in a 3-2 victory, he has contributed to that victory in a positive manner. The most positive way possible.

And the bit your missing is that things like a last ditch tackle or great save may have kept the score at 3-2. Defensive contribution prevents the opposition from scoring goals. A more relevant example is if he scores one but costs us two due to an inept defensive display, then his goal means very little. There is nothing "antiqued" in expecting defenders to be able to defend. Naturally their position necessitates a greater onus on their defensive game and to try and argue otherwise is nonsensical.

I must say, I've seen some strawman posts in my time here but that is right up there.

Edited by Isa

And that proves nothing other than that PSG have more money than sense. I take it you missed the semi final the other day though where we all saw what happens when you have defenders like Luiz and Marcelo incapable of defending?

And the bit your missing is that things like a last ditch tackle or great save may have kept the score at 3-2. Defensive contribution prevents the opposition from scoring goals. A more relevant example is if he scores one but costs us two due to an inept defensive display, then his goal means very little. There is nothing "antiqued" in expecting defenders to be able to defend. Naturally their position necessitates a greater onus on their defensive game and to try and argue otherwise is nonsensical.

I must say, I've seen some strawman posts in my time here but that is right up there.

I'm not missing anything. I'm not making the argument that defenders don't need to be able to defend. You have assumed that for some bizarre reason, amongst other things.

This is a team game, more than ever. If you had wished to get into the intricacies of tactics and individual roles I'd have been up for that, but you seem unable to do that for the insatiable need to put words in my mouth.

Unfortunate, but I'm going to leave it there.

Guzan

Hutton Senderos Baker Richardson

N Zogbia El Ahmadi Westwood Cole

Bent Bendtner

The potential of lining up like this makes me feel a little bit sick.

I would say we have fielded worse teams than that last season.

• Like 1

The Dutch system could be the way forward also we have players that can play all those roles

proxy.jpg?t=HBgjaHR0cDovL3NoYXJlbXl0YWN0

That team looks vaguely okay. We might even come about 13th with that so that is progress.

We would get absolutely raped down the right hand side, unless when in defence the left back falls back into defence and Okore across to form a back 4. But the modern premier league is so quick that it would have to be an instant change over time after time. Our lot simply aren't good enough to handle that.

You see it as a snap judgement. Maybe those unhappy with our transfers have actually thought about it and judged players on what they've seen of those players.

Some of them maybe. Can understand it with Senderos especially. I was hypothesising.

I'm not too convinced but I wouldn't say its because the situation the clubs in. I can't say I'm convinced senderos or Richardson are that much better than what we have or if Cole is capable of performing enough at premier league level still.

I'm concerned we're just creating more squad issues for whoever eventually buys the club to sort out.

I'm not too convinced but I wouldn't say its because the situation the clubs in. I can't say I'm convinced senderos or Richardson are that much better than what we have or if Cole is capable of performing enough at premier league level still.

I'm concerned we're just creating more squad issues for whoever eventually buys the club to sort out.

It is quite possible but it's either this or nothing as it stands, so at least something is being done.