Science Thread

Nigel

Is this much of a big deal? Something to do with Inflation Theory.

Define "big deal". Inflation is the scientific theory which best fits the observed data surrounding the formation of the visible universe. The discovery of background radiation was probably a "bigger deal", but yes this is probably what you would describe as a big deal. :)

I (and others) have posted a bit about inflation theory on this board.

Basically, at the beginning, shit got real real fast. And when shit got real real fast, shit left a stain, but it was like a tiny stain in a massive pair of dark underpants. Now, they found the stain, and all is well.

That's mostly correct except for the size of the underpants. They were also tiny.

The best science is when you prove an existing theory to be wrong. If this.evidence of gravity waves is correct and reproducible then it dismisses a swathe of hypotheses and reinforces inflationary theory as the best fit for the earliest moments of the universe.

... and "God" gets smaller.

• Like 1

In what sense? A complete beginning of all things? It's hard to say because we don't have the terminology or possibly even the mental capability to grasp certain concepts that may be needed to explain and understand what came 'before' our universe. I'm reluctant to use the terminology of time but it'll have to do for the time being.

If we put it simply then I would say yes, it all began at some point, because I simply can't understand something not having a beginning and an end, but if I argue that then I'll find myself going in circles because that beginning must have come from something and that must have began somewhere because the idea of an 'absolute nothing' is troubling to put it mildly.

So, we are left with the other possibility of there not having been a beginning and that the larger multiverse (?) is eternal and from it spawns infinite universes of which we happen to be one. The word eternal is an ugly one but I can't think of a better word for it. I agree with the multiverse idea but I still find it unsatisfactory because I like things to be definite and knowable because I am an animal on a rock.

To answer your question, I've no idea, but I'd like to think so, because it's easier to think so.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

In what sense?

Sorry. I was probably being a shade naughty there.

I saw a Horizon programme the other day (What was before the Big Bang - or something such) which had some stuff about multiverses and the big bang not necessarily being 'a/the beggining', yadda, yadda.

It also had some stuff from Laura Mersini-Houghton about multiverses and I wondered what impact these observations may have on her ideas, some of which are expounded here:

http://iai.tv/video/how-to-find-a-multiverse

In big bang theory, the bang isn't the beginning of time. Hawking said you might was well call it the beginning of time because nothing is carried over from one bang cycle to the next, so its trivial to talk about what happened before. But the universe has always been here....the fact that its hard or impossible to understand that doesn't stop it from being so.

Â